Polyphony problems on playing instruments

I’m not very sure if “polyphony problems” is the proper way to put it, but the thing is, I can’t play two notes at a time when playing a instruments. When I try to open a plugin or even try to play a sample-based instrument, the notes get cut-off when I try to play two or more at a time, just like if I was with mono legato mode on.

Well, thank you in advance,

Noddah

Hm…to further track this down:

1. Are the Instruments really polyphonic? Renoise also has a mono-mode for sample based instruments. Make sure it’s not turned on. Many VSTi’s also have the difference between mono and poly modes.

2. How are you triggering the notes? With your pc (typewriter) keyboard, or with some midi controller? I could imagine midi controllers could have monophonic modes too (i.e. as sideeffect of an unconfigured arpeggiator or the like), maybe pc keyboards could have severe problems registering multiple keypresses, too - don’t know about this prob, but normal keyboards almost always have some limitations as to which keys are registered simultaneously, and which won’t, breaking many chords, maybe you’ve got one that only allows one letter key at any time? How’s about the graphical keyboard at the bottom of instrument editor, will it show multiple keys “lit” when pressing them?

3. Have you tried making a pattern with chords in it (add some note columns, place chord into that track), does it still only play monophonic?

Renoise also has a mono-mode for sample based instruments. Make sure it’s not turned on

Just want to add that the mono mode is a trigger option which applies to all three parts of the Renoise instrument: sample, plugin and MIDI. And like OopsIFly pointed out, this is most likely what is causing the problem, since you experience it happening to both samples + plugins

Note also that being a “trigger option” means that it only applies when live-triggering/recording notes, but not when the playback engine encounter previously recorded notes.

Check if you have set quantise at instrument trigger.

Like OopsIFly suggested, I created new not columns and it’s working quite right. The problem seems to be on the live-triggering after all, but I can’t find the trigger option you are reffering to… Where is it located?

in v3 in the sampler/plugin/midi tabs, theres a button labeled “mono” in the upper right corner, next to a button labeled “hold”. If it’s activated on your instruments, that’s your problem then, hit it to deactivate. But…eh…normally it should be disabeled by default, unless you load an instrument that was designed for mono mode and saved this option with itself? Or maybe you’ve messed with your default song template?

Up right to the instrument panel…Before the mono and hold button.

http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Instruments

Oh well, sorry if I’m being too stupid but I still can’t find this option… I’m using renoise 2.8 atm and the interface from the link BpZ posted is different.

I’m using renoise 2.8

In 2.8 it’s controlled by the “chord mode” option, which you can find in the pattern editor control panel:

5393 renoise-2-8-chord-mode.png

Default shortcut to toggle it is: Ctrl + ` (backtick/grave)

Oh I see, that solved the problem just fine!

Thank you :slight_smile:

In 2.8 it’s controlled by the “chord mode” option, which you can find in the pattern editor control panel:

attachicon.gifrenoise-2-8-chord-mode.png

Default shortcut to toggle it is: Ctrl + ` (backtick/grave)

Ok… in Renoise 3.1.0, where is that little button?! It’s not there.