Portable Hardware Groovebox Tracker

Hello

I hope this project can outgrow an ordinary DIY project and turn into a full-fledged creative tool

13 Likes

:sparkles::disguised_face: :sparkles:

1 Like

Hello Hinick!

Very Cool project! I hope you project to go to finish!

What you think about to add some script tools for live act?

For reference I think it’s will be great used opal

Because I think if we used renoise engine we can build some synth parts on inside renoise instrument.

1 Like

Looks to me that Opal took some inspiration from the Elektron devices. Which is great cause their sequencers are fantastic!

Not the same, but @slujr made Tweaky Drums a while ago. Setup a bunch of those with macro’s and go to town with automation. Either by drawing it in or let some (random) LFO handle it.

3 Likes

The author (Ess) of Opal once worked at Elektron. He writes firmware for Elektron Model series. But right now he is working on personal projects.

2 Likes

That explains why it has such a strong Elektron vibe. Cool to know!

1 Like

Thanks @Jalex! It’s coming along. The device is a linux machine so if you so wish to port something like opal (which I must say, I use all the time in Ableton and it’s great) to be able to run on an ARM 64 SOC then one could.

1 Like

It’s good news but I mean another things. Renoise have heavy engine for native synth part without using sample. And I think about little utility used some window for control the musical process. Opal just reference for ideas.

So I think I need to show how create synth parts in renoise.

This my small tutorial. But if you don’t know Russian and don’t understand, you can used subtitles with translate. I think it’s funny))))) my redneck russian to translates on a wiggle English after google translate))).

5 Likes

This looks absolutely amazing.

I’m completely new on Rasp stuff. Worked on Arduino projects before but never Rasp, and I’m aware they’re very different. However, I got plans to build my on DIY tracker using one. This post was a HUGE inspiration, and specially because of how recent it is! Love the design too, looks very tight and all. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

More :cloud: :star2:~ V A Y P O R W A R E ~ :crescent_moon: :cloud: teasing

Presently stalled out due to some 3DP woes. Tomorrow repair parts come in the mail and hopefully I can carry on. I’ve eliminated the encoders and added some other integral, more clever ways to send MIDI cc values.

5 Likes

For those interested: Encoders have returned and the project is progressing nicely :slight_smile:

9 Likes

This looks great. Love to see it in action. Are you planning to do production of consumer units in time?

2 Likes

@slujr Yes that is the intent

3 Likes

Fantastic

1 Like

wow, it looks so s(l)ick! :slight_smile:
plug a mouse and you’ve got renoise/sononym portable combo!
although i find touch-screen friendly for user-input, i’m always against it :smiley:
is there a way to get involved and help in the process?
and if not too early - rough estimation on availability and price? thanks

about encoders: i’d bind one to delay column, one for vol, the big one for cursor up/down… damn it’s so nice only by looking at it :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you for the enthusiastic comments. It’s much appreciated.
No mouse needed. I’m currently testing and evaluating some trackpad units for cursor control. The encoders sit in a panel that can be popped out, with modularity in mind. So naturally I’ve already started messing about with a single motorized potentiometer in lieu of the four encoders, which would make the thing viable for actually dialing in a mix on.
Other details like availability, and price, as well as contribution to the project are tbd at present.

I finally got around to working on a menu system and the systemd services needed for running it yesterday:
https://www.instagram.com/p/C4opHCspZdk/

2 Likes