Post Your 10 Vst Plugins You Use Most

Serato sample … I know RENOISE has a sampler but SErato is my sampler and it’s soo nice to trigger it using RENOISE.

Effects

• Fabfilter Q-2
  • Effect Rack - Soundtoys (Decapitator)
  • Span
  • Ozone 9
  • R4 - Exponential Audio (Got it on a super sale, it’s a wonderful reverb, I love the tail suppression feature but would not in a million years pay full price for this, then rather go with Valhalla reverbs)

Instruments

synths: surge, vital, pigments**
effects: valhalla supermassive, native instruments raum*, bluecat audio free fx suite, tdr nova / kotelnikov
ozone elements*

**paid plugin
*paid plugin but got it free as part of some sale actions

instruments:
addictive drums 2
modartt pianoteq (standard)
u-he hive
arturia analog lab V
reason rack (mainly for instruments)

effects:
sonnox limiter - go-to limiter - always last in master chain
TDR slick eq M and everything else from TokyoDawnLabs
sonnox reverb and/or ultrareverb
airwindows for anything, seriously…
toneboosters reelbus

Synths:

KV331 Audio: Synthmaster 2.9.10 (amazing semi-modular toolbox synth)
Native Instruments: Monark (nice little analog emulation)

Effects:

AAS: Objeq Delay (delay with filters and physical modelling inside the delay module)
D16 Group: Decimort (amazing bitcrusher and vintage emulator)
Waves: Center (mid/side processor)

Everything else built inside Renoise.

In Renoise: NO plugins, it’s really good enough for me. All the FX solve any issues I come across and the reverb is wonderful, convolver in particular.

Outside, in Reaper:
Waves Kramer Master Tape
Izotope Ozone 9 Imager Advanced
Waves L16 UltraMaximizer

That’s it.

1 Like

I used to use millions of VSTs in Windows but since switching to Linux I only use these;

INSTRUMENTS
→ none, I do everything with my real life physical instruments and/or the Renoise sampler.

EFFECTS (all native Linux)
→ Airwindows (absolute favourites)
→ GVST plugin collection (donationware)
→ Overtone FC70 (€€€)
→ Renoise native FX which are really good
→ LV2 plugs from Ubuntu Studio repos
→ JSFX when working in Reaper

Got loads more stuff that was added automatically from the Ubuntu Studio repos but not had any need or real desire to try any of it out because the above has all my needs covered.

Thinking about getting Redux for use in Reaper. That could be really interesting even though Reasamplomatic does the job already.

1 Like

@willy_dinglefinger Im curious how you install the airwindows plugins on linux. I have also switched to Linux pretty recently and love the Airwindows stuff.Howeverr, I dropped the plugins in one of the folders in the /lib/ directory but that didnt seem to work. I feel like i am missing a step or maybe I just put them in the wrong folder. Love using Linux for audio, just haven’t figured this part out hah. I also use the GVST plugins a lot so would be awesome to have those on Linux!

Greetings Abstex, I think I just unzipped both GVST and Airwindows folders to usr/lib/vst → went into Renoise options → told Renoise to look there for VSTs. It shouldn’t be any more complicated than that to be honest.

If you can afford to back Airwindows on patreon then you get nice wee rewards every now and then, like acoustic drum samples libraries and stuff.

Here is the GVST bundle for Linux;

When I donated to Graham (GVST) he sent me a nice personal email and so I think he’s a proper nice bloke, shame he stopped developing plugs.

Ok yup, I was just putting it in the wrong folder, thanks!

I will definitley look into that for Airwindows his stuff is really great, even better that they are cross platform!

and hmm that is a shame about GVST…although looks like they were all just ported over to Linux about a year ago?

so thank goodness for that ha

will definitely be sending a donation :+1:

1 Like

For free:

https://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

https://www.audiopluginsforfree.com/smexoscope/

https://michaelwillis.github.io/dragonfly-reverb/

some AirWindows filters

Very good “old school” compressors and limiters:

On Linux I highly recommend the lsp parametric EQ. For me a good EQ is really missing and this fills the gap. The other lsp plugins are also great !
https://lsp-plug.in/

para_equalizer_x16_stereo

1 Like

Oh yeah! Ive messed around with some of the lsp plugins and the EQ is good. I’ve also been using EQ10Q pretty heavily, but I should experiment more with the other lsp stuff. I also honestly just love the stock EQ in Renoise.

2 Likes

I checked again and it looks like the good man posted updated Beta versions of GVST plugs on 24 Jan so it looks like I was wrong and the VSTs are still being developed after all.

Not looked at the lsp stuff yet but that EQ looks grand so thanks for the heads up :slight_smile: are there any other lsp plugins worth scoping out?

Likewise, I know it’s generic but between the Renoise stock EQ and 2 or 3 colouring EQs from Airwindows, I’ve had no need to try others (yet). Actually 90% of the time I just use Renoise EQ 5.

Oh awesome!

Definitely check out the lsp limiter I always get some nice punchy sounds when I use that thing :+1:

and same I try to get away with using just the stock plugins as much as I can

The latest version of Surge XT Synth now comes with a Surge XT Effects plugin. I especially like the tape saturation/distortion feature on it.

1 Like

the old version had the FXs.
His Leslie Fx is the only free synchronizable Leslie FX

1 Like