Post Your 10 Vst Plugins You Use Most

Can you please post your 10 most favorite VST Plugins… (freeware or purchased) you use with Renoise :guitar:

Thank you ;)

please visit this pinned thrad.

I have read that threat but I got lost in the jungle of VST’s :P

I use these 4 VST’s most…

1. SFZ VST from rgc … easy for me to load a SoundBank and start playing. 127 instruments are enough to write a good melody. :D
  2. The Claw Vst
  3. The Devil- K Vst
  4. GalactiX

and lots of Wav samples. :rolleyes:

also, some thread like that has been done before on this board … I just dont remember where …

NI Kontakt
NI Pro-53
NI FM-7
ReFX Slayer
ReFX QuadraSid
ReFX JunoX2

PSP WintageWarmer
iZotope Vinyl
iZotope Ozone
all Waves

I agree with you that the “free vst/vsti” thread is a mess. Lots of broken links and links to pages with crap samples/vsts/vstis.

So a thread with our favourite vst plugins is imho much better.

Here’s my favourites (I haven’t found 10 really good plugs yet… atleast not plugins that I can afford)

VSTi:

• Rainbow2
  • Synth1
  • ORGANized

VST:

• FreeVerbToo

Also… for soundfonts I use twinsef VSTi.

Here are some of my favorite native plugins:

Elemental Audio:

• Eqium (track EQ)
  • Firium (linear phase EQ for mastering)

Ambience (exceptional traditional reverb plugin)

SIR (impulse based reverb plugin. Amazing freeware! You’d spend $500 on the Mac for equivelent software)

OrangeVocoder (I still think this is the best native VST vocoder plugin)

Voxengo Elephant (L2 killing mastering limiter at 1/10th the price)

PSP’s VintageWarmer (wonderful sounding compressor/saturator/limiter)

OhmForce:

• Frohmage (I really like this resonant filter)
  • Predatohm (I still think this is the best native distortion plugin)

Kjaerhus Audio:

• Classic Series (another freeware marvel! really good, smooth plugin bundle covering many bases. Chorus, Flanger, Reverb, Limiter and Compressor. No VST DAW should be without this collection of high quality plugins!)
  • Golden Modulator GMO-1 (Exceptionally warm and smooth modulation plugin. It’s worth so much more than they’re charging!)

Native Instruments’ FM7 (I still think this is one of the highest quality sounding VST instruments ever made. It still holds up amazingly well. Such an unusually clear, pristine sound and amazing GUI. FM synthesis has never had it so good in my opinion.)

BigTick’s Rhino (If you’re really looking for a different synth amidst this ocean of “Virtual Analog” copycats, consider Rhino. Not only does it ooze with innovation, but it sounds fantastic. The most innovative synth to come out since Absynth in my opinion.)

LinPlug’s Albino (If you consider your music at all inclined towards dance or techno and their myriad of derivative sub-genres, then I think this synth is easy to recommend. Especially it’s patch banks created by Rob Papen.)

Novation’s V-Station (While I happen to think that most of the included preset banks are painfully mediocre, upon closer inspection and some programming of my own, I actually find it to be a very good VA synth.)

I could also list the fine synths of rgcAudio and Arturia or the Spectrasonics sample based VSTi’s, but I’ll spare the thread and cut it off now.

-Tronam

Over 16 years no more post about this interesting topic? Let’s change this.

My favorite VSTs are:

1. Sylenth1
  2. Omnisphere
  3. Serum
  4. Sidizer
  5. ProtoPlasm (not available anymore)

And there are some freebies like for example:

1. S3B
  2. Elek7ro
  3. Synth1
  4. PolyIblit
  5. Cloud

What are yours?
And if someone can recommend something (VSTs or soundbanks) for etheral atmospheric choirs and pads coming from space, I’d be thankful. So thanks! :smiley:

Wow, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone revive a 17-year old forum thread before. Impressive!

Anyways, I don’t own a lot of third-party plugins, but some of the gems I’ve been using lately are:

• Serum
  • Trackspacer
  • Cassette
  • Dumpster Fire

And if someone can recommend something (VSTs or soundbanks) for etheral atmospheric choirs and pads coming from space, I’d be thankful

I feel like this should be possible in Serum, with all of its fantastic modulation options, but the stock patches in Serum really don’t demonstrate pads very well IMO. I do actually have it on my todo list to try and create some long evolving pads in Serum, so if I do ever actually get around to that, and if I derive any good tips from that, I’ll come back and let you know.

Are you still alive?

The OP was using samples in SFZ format… WOW, that is truly antique I guess

Also, “Pro 53,” is mentioned in this thread OMG

Here are my go-tos in no particular order:

Surge synth open source do-everything synth
Spitfire Labs high quality selection of useful samples
Helm Synth open source, good all-around synth
Drumart SL Drums - great dusty samples for lofi hip hop
Atmos 2 - atmospheric piano soaked in reverb
Bassik Bass - nice useful bass patches
Roli Equator synth - wide variety of useful, inspiring sounds
Mercuriall Tube Screamer - classic distortion
Valhalla SuperMassive - yuuge atmosphere effects
Tricent synth - synthwave/ classic synth
OBXD - more 80s analog goodness

Oh wow, I heard about Surge somewhere else today too, but I didn’t think much of it since I’m not really in the market to purchase another synth right now. I didn’t know it was open source though. That’s awesome!

1 Like

Thanks. Yes almost all of these are free. You have to buy a Roli controller to get Equator but that’s about it

1 Like

Wow, 17 years! That is a long bleeping time.

In no particular order.

1. U-He’s Repro-1 is my default synth for starting out. Whether it is a bass sound or a lead, I can always get something useful out of it to start composing. I use it’s polyphonic brother Repro-5 a lot as well.

2. Spitfire Audio’s LABS’ Soft Piano. Again something I use a lot to find a melody and get things going. Or something to make a quick texture out of. I use their drums a lot as well. And it is free too!

3. Valhalla’s Vintage Verb and their free Supermassive reverb plugins. Lovely sounding reverbs. All their stuff is great!

4. TAL’s Chorus-LX sees a lot of use on my end. Can’t really comment on how close it sounds to a real Juno chorus. But it sounds great for sure! and free!

5. IZotope’s Trash 2 is a golden oldie for me that I recently rediscovered. Been using it a ton to distort things. Not necessarily the best distortion but I like it.

6. Soundtoys’ Decapitator. A great sounding distortion. It can be subtle and it can growl. I love Echo Boy as well.

7. Airwindows are a whole bunch of free vst effects that I learned about recently and I am exploring. Because I’ve only just installed them.

8. DVS’ Space Echo I use on pretty much all my tracks. Simple, fast auto tempo synched delay. Saves me time from setting up the native Renoise delay. And it is free.

9. Waves’ API collection as well as the CLA-2A and CLA-76. I like what they do to my sounds.

10. TSE Audio’s R47 distortion plugin i use quite a bit. I also like their BOD quite a bit. And best of all they are free.

Some of these plugins that I use are freaking old by now. :slight_smile:

Here’s what I’ve been using the most lately. Mostly freeware, aside from Massive and the Valhalla stuff:

Charlatan by Blaukraut - One of my bread&butter synths. Good for analog-style pads, bass, and leads. Lacks some flexibility modulation-wise, but those limitations make it fun to work with. I use at least one instance of this on every project.

Tyrell N6 by U-He - I use this in a similar way to Charlatan, but it has a different character.

Massive by Native Instruments - This has been around long enough that I don’t need to explain. It’s flexible, it’s easy to use.

Dexed by Digital Suburban - Everyone know this DX7 emulation. I mainly use it for the many presets that are available. I can always find some interesting sounds when I need them. Maybe some day I’ll actually learn to make my own presets for it.

Valhalla Delay - My go-to delay. I’ve used it on everything since it came out a couple of years ago.

Valhalla Reverb - I usually put this on a send for a little drum ambience. Its stereo input makes it especially great for sends, but it’s good enough to use up-front in a mix (automating the decay to create big swells, for example)

IVGI by Klanghelm - Nice saturation plugin.

Unlimited by Sonic Anomaly - Master limiter with LUFS meter.

Flutterbird by Andrew Minnich - Wow and flutter emulation. I just keep the pitch modulation turned down low to add some subtle movement to pads or leads.

Ferrox by Toneboosters - Tape saturation. I like to use this on a mater track, even if it’s a little too easy to overdo it.

I feel like this should be possible in Serum, with all of its fantastic modulation options, but the stock patches in Serum really don’t demonstrate pads very well IMO. I do actually have it on my todo list to try and create some long evolving pads in Serum, so if I do ever actually get around to that, and if I derive any good tips from that, I’ll come back and let you know.

Great, thanks! Yes, this should be possible in Serum as well as in Sylenth1 or Omnisphere, there’s some similar stuff right there. But I neither have a clou how nor the time for creating own instruments. What I’m looking for is something like this or like this, to show some examples of the desired choirs. Lush space choirs and pads are always welcome. Something like this or this. And so on and on and on…

I don’t know if you guys saw this week’s announcement of Eventide’s free new Pendulate plugin, but it’s really worth checking out. It’s a monosynth with “chaos theory” built into it so it has these very lively, morphing modulations that are very usable and inspiring. Good stuff.

1 Like

The guy behind Newfangled is absolutely awesome. He used to work for Eventide, started his own company Eventide bought him out.

Weird story? HAHAHAHA… I’m not making it up, its on his website

I’ve seen the plugin and tried it indeed. Really sick!!

1 Like