Presonus Studio One

Did anyone test it on the Musikmesse in Frankfurt?

(the above quoted from http://www.presonus.com/news/press/Detail.aspx?NewsID=96 )

Summary: we stole our entire design from Ableton Live. Plus - unlike every other DAW on the market! - it comes with its own plugins.

Yeah, whatever… :wacko:

Besides, everyone steals from each other in some form or aspect. As long as the “stealing” is a necessary means to create something new, it’s most welcome IMO. Who cares if drag-and-drop of objects (FX-chains, VSTi:s, audio clips, etc) was initially introduced elsewhere? The only thing that should matter is whether the new product offers any improvements in regard to [insert your personal choice here].

The high-quality (press HQ) videos on YouTube are found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvgXXoY6Vk

It matters when your press copy implies that these are innovations that are new, when they are not.

Well, this is a problem with virtually all marketing in today’s world, no matter what’s being marketed. It just doesn’t sell if you’re spelling out loud that the product simply improves a bit here and there in some minor areas, but essentially is the same old paradigm in another costume. We’ve already seen this with Propellerhead’s “Record” software, and there are thousands of other examples out there to study.

The purpose of starting this thread, however, wasn’t to discuss the nature of deceptive marketing. So let’s get back to track. Just a few more off-topic comments:

With Renoise 2.1 featuring ReWire, there is naturally an interest among some of us to check out other ReWire-enabled music software. What can emerge from such fusions? That is the question, and it’s very exciting times… It’s like waking up as a 14-year old virgin and discovering one doesn’t have to jerk off in isolation, since there are females out there who can do a much better job by other means.

Personally, I’m looking for the best DAW to use in conjunction with Renoise on a very powerful computer setup. So every new DAW coming out on the market is a good thing, at least worthy of checking out (i.e. installing and evaluating a demo version). The reason I need such a DAW is because I think the combination of the tracker paradigm and the linear piano-roll paradigm is more powerful than having these two separated.

Now, PreSonus “Studio One” software seems to be coded by very skilled people (former Cubase and Logic developers, etc). And it doesn’t contain all the stuff I won’t need, which can be found in other DAWs I’ve used over the years. Just the essentials, with careful thought given to workflow issues. Yeah, frankly I think Studio One seems to be very promising in this regard. So I’ll give it a try when it’s released.

Demo available now:

http://www.presonus.com/demo-studioone/

If the price is the suspected 400 euros it seems way too expensive for what it does for me personally
I can name a whole bunch of hosts at less than a 100 euros that does as much if not more and works just aswell

I have only been testing for a few days but that is my thoughts so far

Bungle

My first impression of S1, having tested the demo Windows x86 version for a few hours today:

• the audio engine sounds great
  • it’s still pretty buggy
  • slaving Renoise to it (via ReWire) caused the computer to hang
  • nice GUI and sweet visual candy
  • the drag n’drop browser is ok, but I had expected it to be much better

It’s depressing to live in a world where corporations hause everything up to gigantic proportions in their marketing, and actually get away with it. In the case of S1, we see that strong words such as “revolutionary”, “innovative”, etc are frequently used even in the PDF manuals. “Look people! We have the feature to drag a midi-file into the sequencer, that’s genius! That’s a Copernican Revolution!”

I’m so fed up with this sort of behavior and attitude, but maybe that’s because I’m a tracker elitist, growing up on the demoscene where people actually were creative and original. And there is little creativity or originality in today’s DAW world. We’re lucky to have Renoise.

It’s not really getting away with anything if no one buys the hype and they don’t make their money back.

Note the market dominance of MOTU’s MachFive sampler.

How to temporarily get around this (save some more time): launch S1 first, drag Renoise into the sequencer. Don’t press the load button. Instead, launch Renoise manually. Renoise detects the ReWire master, and askis if you want to connect to it. Select yes, and then the are friends for a few minutes until the computer hangs and needs to get rebooted.

With fusing Renoise to other $oftware in mind, its always interesting to see a review from someone who can afford it. At the time being, price is an issue for me, so its one of the first things I check before investing time to demo anything.

We’re lucky to have Renoise.

yup

One more comment about S1:

I remember 10 years ago, when I was working with Sonic Foundry’s music software Acid. This was a great software for me to work with, because I had lots of hardware synths and recorded mostly external audio. Workflow and speed were important factors. Acid had an integrated file browser that let you preview wav files, store shortcuts to favorite folders, etc.

In a sense S1 reminds me of the early Acid, in that both softwares address the essentials of music production, focus on workflow issues, have a drag-and-drop browser, and a fast playback of multiple large wav files.

S1 fills the same type of niche in 2009 that Acid filled in 1999.

So what niche does ACID fill in 2009?

Today Sony ACID Pro doesn’t fill any niche IMO, it merely tries to keep up with other DAWs. But 10 years ago, when Sonic Foundry developed “ACID pH1”, it filled a certain niche on the music market.

S1, however, fills that same niche today. S1 is basically ACID pH1 with better looks, body, and sex appeal – updated with VST3 technology, ReWire, piano-roll and a better browser. You still don’t get it? ;)

I just purchased a license for Studio One Pro. I’m really satisfied with the product, considering it’s the 1.0 version.

This is definitely my second favorite piece of music software (the first is, of course, Renoise). OMG, what an increase in creativity! Only Renoise is faster for me. This is the PERFECT bridge to get the best out of the tracker paradigm AND the traditional DAW paradigm.

Actually, it pretty much delivers exactly what it promises on the box: “All muscle. No bloat.” I’m going to spend a lot of happy hours in Studio One, that’s for sure.

can you describe how it is incorporated it into your workflow now?

Even though, you have already bought studio one, you might want to look at mulab, by mutools.

Well, I have lots of self-made midi files. With S1’s drag-and-drop browser, I find it extremely easy to surf around in my library and just grab what I want.

For example, let’s say I have made a preset in Spectrasonics Omnisphere and want that instrument to play a midi sequence. In S1, that’s just two drag-and-drops from the browser. First I d&d the instrument patch itself, then I d&d the midi file(s). The same goes with my rendered Renoise tracks. It’s so fast to arrange stuff and mix it down.

The thing with my library of midi files… is that they are very well structured. Basically, I build variations of arpeggios, sequences, chords and other building blocks, and then transpose them and harmonize them in various scales and to play well with many chords. It’s so easy to create inspiring arrangements out of a multitude of good building blocks.

With the ReWire feature of Renoise 2.1, the two programs are in sync, allowing me to build cool patterns in Renoise and just render that to disc. (I usually add a 16 row blank pattern in between the data patterns, just to get the fx tails of the tracks.)

One could argue that d&d features of other DAWs are equally good, but I disagree. I have tested most of them, and S1 really is the best to work with in this regard. And since clips are such an important aspect of my personal workflow, that’s a deal maker for me. Needless to say, I’d like to see more focus on “The Clip” (the clip, not the clit) within the Renoise community.

:yeah:

So did they really knock off Ableton that badly? That’s nutz!

Actually, I’m here to get away from the, “clip,” and feel more of the, “flow.” Clips have a lot of, “stop and start,” while Renoise one can just get more lost in what one is trying to do.