"prev/next Row With Editstep" Stops At End Of Pattern

[s]If I use the continuous mode and do some editing in the pattern, as soon as I reach the end of the pattern, Renoise will jump to the next pattern in sequence, no matter if the “loop current pattern” button is activated or not, no matter if the current position in the sequence is marked as loop or not.

Could at least the pattern loop button have an influence on the step editing?[/s]

There is also a small bug regarding the block loop: If enabled, stopped and moving in the pattern by using cursor keys, the sequence position bar shows one block loop jump within the pattern, but the pattern is not block looped at all.

EDIT:

Updated bug report:

• If you move the cursor with edit-step (normally Shift+Apple+Cursor), the movement will stop at the end of the pattern, if continuous mode is disabled.

• There is also a small bug regarding the block loop: If enabled, stopped and moving in the pattern by using cursor keys, the sequence position bar shows one block loop jump within the pattern, but the pattern is not block looped at all.

That is what continues mode is for.

Yes, but if the loop mode is enabled, it should repeat the pattern… Please think about it.

Pattern Looping is only designed to affect playback, not editing.

Imagine if other playback looping features physically restricted/changed where the edit cursor can go. Features like Block Loop, or looped sections in the Pattern Sequencer. It would be pretty damn annoying if you ask me.

I just mean it is very helpful while editing, if the cursor can jump to the beginning of the same pattern, if it reaches it’s end. Currently this is only possible, if I add the same pattern multiple times in the sequence.

Why it would be wrong, if the pattern loop button would also affect the step editing? I still could change the pattern by changing the sequence position. I didn’t get it until now - What’s annoying if the cursor jumps to the beginning of the same pattern instead of the next pattern, if pattern loop is enabled?

I think this is the normal behaviour of all trackers, but this option did silently pass away from Renoise it seems…

At least I miss this feature. For example I usually think in pattern. So I add a bassdrum by setting edit step to 8 and holding down the appropriate key. When the cursor reaches the beginning again, I will add a hihat, and so on… Now I have to scroll up or press a jump shortcut first. This makes no sense to me.

I haven’t seen any other tracker with loop-options for specific sequencer ranges, and nothing passed away from Renoise because it has never worked this way you are asking for so i don’t have any idea by what you specifically mean with “normal behavior of all trackers”

Maybe I did not explain very well what I mean. Please self-proove what you wrote: Just download MilkyTracker or any other tracker, Buzz. Then go to the pattern view, scroll down with cursor down and you will see that the position start again at the first row after the last row of the pattern was reached - position 1 of the same pattern of course. Also in editing enabled, it jumps to row 1, if the end is reached. Renoise stops at the end. Or did I miss some option?

This jump from last line to 1 is very practical for smooth, fast editing.

I really don’t know why you behave so awkward.

Sorry, if I’m saying something silly (I’m not sure I get it) but…
Shouldn’t you just disable the “continuous mode”? Then the cursor will never jump to the next pattern.

Yes, exactly what I mean, too. If “continuous mode” is disabled, it should jump to the same pattern again (it’s beginning) and not to the next pattern. Currently it stops at the end then.

I’m with Drop Shadow, I still don’t understand… We’re not talking about the button next to the Play/Record button, right?

^^^^^

In the Pattern Editor Control Panel, click the 2nd button from the left.

“Pattern Wrap Mode: Decides what will happen upon reaching the end of a pattern when entering notes step-by-step in Edit Mode. When enabled, the cursor will move to the top of the next pattern in the sequence. When disabled, the cursor will move back to the top of the current pattern.”

Are you talking about this button? Have you tried clicking it?

Yes, of course I tried this button! If you disable it, scrolling will stop at the end of the pattern instead of jumping to the beginning of the same pattern. This is what is in my opinion a bug.
Or is it not in your Renoise? Maybe it’s caused by some extension?

EDIT:

Ok this is my fault, I am sorry, my description was not exact enough.
The problem appears only if you move the cursor with editstep, it’s normally on Shift+Apple+Cursor, I set this to the normal cursor movement.

Updated bug report:

• If you move the cursor with edit-step (normally Shift+Apple+Cursor), the movement will stop at the end of the pattern, if continuous mode is disabled.

• There is also a small bug regarding the block loop: If enabled, stopped and moving in the pattern by using cursor keys, the sequence position bar shows one block loop jump within the pattern, but the pattern is not block looped at all.

I think this is a recent change for 2.8, and I would guess mostly because of the multiple threads by mSemphis such as this one.

Now both Page Up/Down and Edit-Step Up/Down will stop at the Top/Bottom of the current pattern, rather than cycle back to the top as they did in previous version. Line Up/Down and Note Entry still cycles around the pattern. Sure this never used to be the case.

On rns2.8 32bit WinXP the cursor will stop at the top/bottom ONLY when scrolling via Page Up/Page Down. Using arrows or entering notres (using edit step or not) will take you to the beginning of the pattern. Maybe a bit inconsistent but no big deal.

But it’s different on mac?

Question: When you say Edit-Step Down (can you Edit-Step Up?), you mean entering notes using a “step length” other than 0 and 1, right?

No, see the keyboard shortcuts options: Under “pattern editor->navigation”, there is a scrolling option called “move next/prev row with editstep”, which is normally on Shift-Alt?-Cursor Up/Down. This operation stops at the end of the pattern on OSX, if continuous mode is disabled. Normal cursor movement is always one step, no matter of current editstep.

Is it the same also on Windows?

Yes, it’s the same. Thanks for explaning.
I agree that it would be more appropriate if Edit-Stepping and paging up/down wouldn’t stop at the beginning/end of the pattern.

Well they do also stop in 2.7, I was mistaken. Shows how rarely I must actually use them ;)

Hm, hopefully this will be fixed in 2.8.1 because it’s imo quite annoying…

+1
best deal would still be a triple state ‘switch’ button (A)

I looked into my crystal ball and I now know that this problem will be fixed soon in a 2.8.1 update :)

I have the idea you got your crystal ball from radio shack.