Every time I save, it asks for admin permission which I grant and then denies me the ability to save. I have to save in a new folder each time, backups seem fine which is odd… but when i save usiong Ctrl + S or without creating a new file name, renoisw just will not save it. I have had a few technical issues recently, they seem unrelated bnut yet coincidental.
I’ve had this issue when the project file is stored in dropbox, and I save too soon so sync is still taking place, which then blocks saving. If that is the case, you can pause sync until you’ve overwritten the save, then resume syncing.
Not sure if that applies here but worth a shot
You have three options to solve this problem.
1. Run Renoise as administrator.
You can set this to be default, at the (right-click…) properties of the (shortcut to) Renoise.exe,
- in the tab “Shortcut” you can set at the “Advanced” button the option “Run as administrator”,
- in the tab “Compatibility” you can set at the “Settings for all users” button the option “Run as administrator”.
2. Save outside of protected folders.
By default, the operating system protects some folders. Save in another folder where you can save with normal user rights, such as your user Home directory, or make a new directory/folder elsewhere on your harddisk.
3. Set permission for the directory to save in as user.
this is not the best option and has to do with security on your computers’ system folders.
At the directory where you wish to save your files in, you can set it to allow your current user account to write in that directory/folder.
- At the (right-click…) properties of the folder, in the Security tab
- click the bottom button Advanced
- click Add button (in the tab Permissions)
- add permission for your (current user name) or the group Users or the translated name of the group Users (in Dutch Windows, this group is named Gebruikers) as principal
- choose for Permit in the combobox…
- choose for all underlying objects (folders and files inside) in the combobox…
- at least select permissions to Write, Change, Read, and Display (folder) Contents…
- press " OK ", then " Apply ", then " OK ", then " OK ".
keywords: folder permission, directory permission, write access, administrator access, user access, save song file, access denied, unable to save song file, run as administrator, security
Thansk for the suggestions, but its still resorting to just saving a temp file. It simply asks me again toonfirm that I am an administrator and then denies… No onedrive or dropbox to consider… Any more for any more?
Are you on Windows 10?
Then it’s probably a problem with Windows Defender which is blocking Renoise (for whatever reasons).
See https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5924-add-remove-microsoft-defender-antivirus-exclusions-windows-10-a.html on how to exclude Renoise in Windows Defender to test if that’s the problem.
Do NOT run Renoise as administrator. You’ll ruin all file permissions for your non admin user.
Hi taktik - feel special to have your attention (no sarcasm) - it was a very weird fix but after running as admin, I repaired the windows resource library that was apparently corrupt by using a flash drive with the windows installation on it. Only one user on here so assuming its okay otherwise. Thanks everyone.
I think I fixed the issue with both combined because with admin mode on before the repair it was still being weird. Maybe leave this up for a few more days but basically this problem ahs been solved. I had a stream of problems at once so… as my friend always says… windows
please do note, mister, that,
“some slimpy invented the default VST Plugin folder to be inside the protected Program Files folder”
“I have them outside of the protected folder”
“most plugins will need SAVE access inside their VST Plugin folder”
This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.