Problem With Screen Refresh And Script Taking Too Long!

I am just putting the finishing touches to a ‘conversion’ type script I have written but have the following problems:

1. As the script goes along (it takes a while to run) I want to update some text on the dialog screen with some information that the script has collected and I also want to display a progress indicator. I can sucessfully change the text descriptions using id’s and I have done a mini slider to display the progress of the conversion and can update it’s value but the screen does not refresh until the script either finishes or Renoise displays the ‘Script not responding’ message. Is there anyway screen refresh command or a trick I can do to refresh the screen when I want to?

2. Because my script takes a while to run I keep getting the ‘Script not reponding’ warning all the time even though it actually is still running. I know this is a kind of a safe guard for rouge scripts but is there anyway to tell Renoise that the script is still running ok. I know I can just press ‘No’ and the script continues but sometimes I have to press it up to eg. 5 times (I have a slow machine) which doesn’t look very professional.

I know these are kind of minor issues in the whole scheme of things but just wondering if anyone has any answers. I will then be happy to submit my script to the website.

There are also ms based timers: See https://code.google.com/p/xrnx/source/browse/trunk#trunk/Documentation -> Renoise.ScriptingTool.API.lua

-- register a timer function or table with function and context (a method)   
-- which gets periodically called with the app_idle_observable for your tool.   
-- modal dialogs will avoid that timers are called. to create a one-shot timer,  
-- simply remove the timer again in your timer function. timer_interval_in_ms   
-- must be > 0. the exact interval your function will be called with, will vary  
-- a bit, depending on the workload. when enough CPU time is available its error  
-- will be around +- 5 ms  

-- returns true when the given function or method was registered as timer  
[added B4] renoise.tool():has_timer(function or {object, function} or {function, object})  
 -> [boolean]  

[added B4] renoise.tool():add_timer(function or {object, function} or {function, object},   
 timer_interval_in_ms)  

-- remove a previously registered timer  
[added B4] renoise.tool():remove_timer(timer_func)  

Thanks guys…I’ll give it a go. I should have read the doco a bit better. Spent all my time with the ViewBuilder and Song doco I didn’t even bother to check any of the other stuff.

I’m curious about which conversion are you trying to do…?

Btw: Lua coroutines may help here. I haven’t tried them out in such a scenario yet, but maybe we can work on some examples together?

Not having any luck at all!!!
I tried updating the dialog text on a timer which was firing ok until you click on the script start button. The timer then stops as it is obviously getting no CPU time while the script is running. When the script has finished the timer kicks back in and updates the dialog text. (Better late than never I suppose!). I have tried both timers with the same result (not surprising as they run on the same event I think).
I have also chopped up my code into smaller routines which has no effect whatsoever.
I have noticed one thing though. If I regularly display a prompt while the script is running it fixes both my problems. ie. As soon as the prompt displays it updates the text on the dialog window behind it and it also seems to reset the ‘time-out’ script timer. ie. It will never time out which is what I want and I see a few other users have the same problem. Now I have a couple of questions:
Is there anyway in code (without a mouse click) to close these prompts. I know it sounds crap but you could display a prompt and then quickly remove it just to refresh things. You probably wouldn’t even see it anyway. I tried to do this technique with another dialog window which I opened and closed rapidly but that also did not fix the problem. (I guess the thread is concentrating on the first dialog window instead).
The second thing I thought of is going back to the timers but I need some kind of ‘pause’ command which I could regulary call to slow the script down a bit and hopefully free up the CPU to give the timers enough time to fire…A much more eloquent solution.
Or is there any other thing I can call which will tell the GUI to update or cause a refresh? Any thoughts…

Cheers,
Clay

Share the code, easier to give advice.

There are many ways to skin a cat, but without code you will just get general tips and be frustrated when it doesn’t work.

“idle” is always blocked by any modal windows, so my guess is its blocking out itself here. This could be quickly solved by not making the progress dialog modal.

But as conner said, it would help if you could provide some code you are working on then we could be a bit more specific?

Works just as planned. Great!

based on your version here’s a small “drop-in” version:

EDIT: Moved to

Here’s a complete example with a GUI which shows a progress and allows to start/stop it:

EDIT: Moved to

Put “process_slicer.lua” in the SVN Snippets please?

Hmm. No clue yet.

Of course. As soon as its done…

Thanks for the example, it works great!

I have some small issue with it though. When I use the process slicer class, each “process slice” generates its own undo step. Is there a way to avoid this?

released=function()  
 dialog:close()  
 if (not sliced_process or not sliced_process:running()) then  
 sliced_process = ProcessSlicer(split, vb.views.what.value, vb.views.implicit_off.value,  
 vb.views.copy_effects.value, vb.views.selection_only.value)  
 sliced_process:start()  
 end  
 split() --> this causes the yield error  
end  

I think the error is just misleading. This yields while not being called in a coroutine. Just a typo, isn’t it?

No, unfortunately theres no way to solve this at the moment.

Another problem is that the idle notifier gets not called for modal dialogs. And not running the process function modal allows the user to change stuff (insert/delete tracks, change the song in other ways), while your processing function is running.

In fladds example it will break or do strange stuff as soon as you delete the track its working on.

Well, I think for my tool I will probably stay single process for now :slight_smile:

fladd

Bantai & taktik = geniuses!!!

process_slicer.lua is my new best friend. Works brilliantly…solves everything.

How cool is it seeing Renoise mucking around in the background repsonding to your script!

I hoped this has helped everyone for their future scripts…

Process slicer help?

Here’s my code

require "process_slicer"  

local data = table.create()  
data:insert('foo')  

function build_data()  
 for i=1,5000000 do  
 for j=1,10000 do  
 data:insert(i + j)  
 end  
 coroutine.yield()  
 end  
end  

local process = ProcessSlicer(build_data)  
process:start()  
-- What do I put here?  
rprint(data)  

I am trying to use the process_slicer as seen in the Starter Pack/SVN but I don’t have any GUI elements to yield to.

The above code doesn’t work how I expect. rprint(data) prints before the script has a chance to do anything.

I’m trying to create a script that executes without complaining about running for too long, without having to update a GUI.

Tried a while loop, but that didn’t help as Renoise complained that my script was taking too long…

Help?

Works great, thanks!

Actually, I have a bug and I’m not sure why. I’ve committed my WIP to SVN. (It’s the Midi Script). If someone could svn update to help me out that would be appreciated.

Steps to reproduce.

1. Reload Tools
  2. Open the Terminal
  3. Tools -> _Midi Script Debug (WIP)
  4. File -> New Song
  5. Tools -> _Midi Script Debug (WIP)

*** ./process_slicer.lua:123: std::logic_error: 'trying to access a nil object of type 'class RenoiseSong'. the object is not or no longer available.'  
*** stack traceback:  
*** [C]: in function 'error'  
*** ./process_slicer.lua:123: in function <.><br>
<br>```

</.>