Problems with Arturia VST inside Renoise

I’ve recently got the Arturia KeyLab 61. The included software like Analog Lab can be controlled with the keyboard.
However if I open up the VST in Renoise only some controllers work. The keys work, but selecting presets/sounds is not working.
Also if I change pitch or cutoff I can normally see the knob change visually in Analog Lab, but with the VST in Renoise even the knobs that work do not update visually.

I need to further test the VST in other DAW’s but since Analog Lab has full support for the Arturia KeyLab keyboard I expected that this would work just as well with the VST plugin.
Is this a known Renoise problem? Is it fixable?

Hey! I don’t have the keyboard, yet, just ordered the new version and on that I guess you’ll have to change midi template via a button named “Prog” on the keyboard, do you have that on your version?

Have you looked into their MIDI control center software?

Interesting, could you report about your experience with the v3 keyboard?

1 Like

Received the KeyLab essential 61 mk3 black edition today and been playing with it a bit.

I tested out Analog Lab and the encoders and faders were mapped out nicely, then I tried U-he Hive 2, Phoscyon 2 and Spire and they all have their own midi mapping functionality so that is sweet, and Renoise itself has a great MIDI mapping feature allowing you to map a lot of functionality of Renoise and then you have Arturia Midi control center so I think it’s all good for me.

So far I don’t like the pads, they should be more sensitive, I can tap fairly hard without they are triggering, I mean I’m tapping softly but hard enough for me to want them to be triggering so I doubt I’ll use them much but cool you can set a specific midi-channel for them in the Midi control center, so now I have my drumkit mapped and always playable while using everything for something else. (unfortunately just noticed that’s not working properly when you change octave inside Renoise though, then they are obviously playing one octave higher which isn’t what you’d want with a drumkit)

1 Like

Nice! How do you think is the keyboard, how does it feel? Is the velocity precise and reaching the full range from 1-127? Is note up velocity sent? Are the encoders endless? I read that you can install a (systemwide?) script, which then extends hui/mcu protocol… no idea how this should work.
Does the device send sysex or MIDI control data , when you are switch a mapping? Is there a midi implementation list?

The keybed feels nice but I’m unsure about the travel distance (5mm) for the keys to register the smallest velocity, this may be normal to prevent triggering unwanted notes but I like when it’s quicker, think 4mm :wink:

The velocity does go full range but I have to press so softly that I use a second to make it trigger velocity at 1 :sweat_smile: I think it’s a little hard to be super precise with the velocity so far, maybe it will come with practice but you can change the velocity curve for pads and keys separately in the midi control center to fit your style better (Linear, Log, Exponential and Fixed).

Note off velocity is always 0 in the midi monitor.

The encoders are endless and they require a bit of force to turn, hold them loose and your fingers might slip, I think maybe they just need to be used for awhile.
The faders are really nice and smooth.

I have only read about scripts for the most popular DAWs, if you want to use hui/mcu protocol then you can enable it in their Midi control center.

Yes it sends sysex when switching. I haven’t seen a midi implementation list anywhere.

All in all I think it’s a really nice somewhat compact midi keyboard and I’m okay happy.

1 Like