Processor Usage?

Hi. Been trying out this awesome program a week now and i really like it so far. But loading a few VSTi Synth’s and a Couple of effects, I’ll see the CPU indicator hitting above 80% and some stuttering accuring. Even just using a couple of tracks. Opening Task Manager i can see that the The actual CPU usage is around 40% and not 80.

My laptop has:
Intel Core Duo T2500 2.0 Ghz, and should be able to handle a bit more than that. Using programs as Reason i can use pretty much unlimited numbers of samples, synths, effects etc and not hitting 50% processor usage.

I’m quite new to VSTi synths but do they really need that much power? and VST effects do they really use that much power as well?

Is there any multithreading support or is there any planned implementation?.. If not i really hope it is coming. I will switch from using reason and Renoise to only using Renoise.

/ Thanks

The cpu-usage measured in Renoise is on the audio-stack only and not the overall like the Taskmanager measures. Multithreading: no, Renoise unfortunately does not yet support multithreading (multicore) cpu’s.

“But loading a few VSTi Synth’s and a Couple of effects, I’ll see the CPU indicator hitting above 80% and some stuttering accuring.”

could you be more specific, how many & what plugins you’re trying to run?

For example, there is a freeware reverb plugin called ambiance that can be pretty hard hitting on the cpu. I think some music magazines even use(d) it to benchmark audio software / computers, by checking how many they can run at the same time on a system. Some reverb plugins are not that cpu hungry, so check different plugins to see if the problem persists. It could be one faulty plugin.

especially since:

“My laptop has: Intel Core Duo T2500 2.0 Ghz, and should be able to handle a bit more than that.”

have you checked / adjusted the latency settings of the soundcard?

I also have a Intel Duo cpu and experienced stuttering etc, but it pretty much vanished when I set the affinity to one cpu.

Renoise obvioulsy doesn’t like hyperthreading much :)

intel core duo’s don’t support hyperthreading.
they have two physically present cores and therefore belong into the category of so called “symmetric multiprocessing” (SMP) environments.
to my experience, renoise treats both worlds differently.
i used to have a P4 Northwood supporting hyperthreading, which caused me quite some trouble with renoise, as long as both virtual cores were trying to execute renoise.
when i removed the affinity via the taskmanager (renoise did that in the more recent versions by itself) for one virtual core, i did not have any problems / performance decreases.

SMP systems however, are treated differently and renoise won’t disable one of the physically present cores, as they don’t seem to cause any trouble at all.
i have meanwhile switched to a E6600 Conroe (Core2Duo) dualcore and do not experience any problems in renoise with both cores being enabled.

the actual reason for your issues, must be of a different nature.

You’re right, they are two seperate cpu’s. I was just confusing the two. Either way, setting the affinity to one cpu helped with my performance. It’s worth a shot.

setting the affinity does not change anything for me performance-wise.
one and the same pattern of a tune is sitting at 15.0-15.2% CPU load with either core 1 or 2 enabled and also sits there with both cores enabled.

is your intel core duo a yonah or a merom mobile CPU?
(yonah = intel core duo; merom = intel core 2 duo)

this is my system:
http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=322…p;view=detailed