producing in non-internet computer

hey there, my laptop is getting pretty old (4years) and making various problems , i guess many of the problems are the cause of internet viruses and need to foramted … the only way i worked since the day i knew trackers is with one computer which is for internet & music producition…
do you have 2 computers ?(one for each purpose), or only one? has it change the way you produced your music and productivity…?
any info about this topic will be welcomed…

This is 90s style. If you want to have actual software with an actual OS up and running, you simply cant avoid the net. Take an old OS and old software and youll probably get lucky as long the limits won`t frustrate you. Good Luck!

i’ve done it “90s style” for the last 12 years, and wouldn’t have it any other way :slight_smile:

a powerful offline desktop for music, and a macbook for everything else.

• when i work with music, i work with music, i don’t want any interruptions or temptations at all, no security alerts, windows updates, no flash player or java updates, no browsers with 20 tabs open, no facebook, messenger or whatever.
  • once windows and all drivers for internal and external gear are working 100%, i know that it will stay this way forever, until I actively want to change it

i also have an offline laptop intended for live-use only, so i guess i’m a real 90s geek :wink:
it might also have to do with the fact that my dayjob Is webdeveloping, so I get my dose of “always available” there.

This is 90s style. If you want to have actual software with an actual OS up and running, you simply cant avoid the net. Take an old OS and old software and youll probably get lucky as long the limits won`t frustrate you. Good Luck!

the trick is to connect it to the net only when you absolutely need to, e.g. when configuring/updating OS, drivers etc.
a wireless USB dongle is sufficient for such tasks, or one could just download updates on a different computer and transfer files via flashdrive or similar…
a bit tidious of course, but well worth it imo.

Same for me as Denim. MBP for internet & stuff, gaming kind of desktop PC for offline production. It can sometimes be a bit cumbersome, but for most tasks you can get away with a USB stick. If I absolutely have to connect to net for some reason, I carry the wireless router to my studio and connect via LAN, but that happened only once or twice in a few years. Your mileage ofc, may vary.

On the other hand, producing offline in isolation is worth everything to me. When you go offline, you WILL immediately notice how distracting web can be. (While I’m tweaking this bass why don’t I check out a cat video or two?) It’s like a gateway to interruption and procastrination. When I am in my workspace, I want to be producing & producing only.

I also disagree about needing up-to-date OS or software for making music. Just set up your basic tools & forget everything but music IMO.

I would literally die without an internet connection.

Or maybe not. But I do use the internet for a heck of a lot. Not just searching for and downloading samples/plugins, but everything I make, and my entire sample library, I back up to a cloud service. I also stream from time to time, and of course I use the internet to share works in progress with friends and such.

I personally only find the internet distracting when I’m just not in a good mindset to be making music in the first place. When I get going on a project I don’t really get distracted, I just zone the rest of the universe out.

I have two desktops. One online, and one for music production. As Denim said, I also connect my “music computer” when I need to update/activate software, and, when I can, I keep a second license of the software in my “online computer”, for experimenting, testing plugins and, when I can’t go to my studio computer, I start some sketchs in it. If I had only one computer… well, there is no how avoid internet nowadays, but if you can have two and keep one without it, you’re free to test software in your online computer before installing in your music computer. That’s been working very nice for me for the last four years.

thanks for the feedbacks

, gonna split my work to 2 computers,