Programming An "off"

can anyone tell me how to program an “off” so that my vst synth’s envelope goes into its release? I know it can be done by playing midi in real time, but I am not into that, as I am working with too fast of bpms for that to be of any use. As it is now, when I program in a note, it stays there like I am holding down the button. I want to get the same effect as when I play in real time and then release the button and the tracker reads “OFF”, but without playing real time.

press caps-lock.

This question Pops up quite frequently perhaps it needs to be explained more clearly in manuals etc?

Indeed.

And it is very understandable that newcomers to trackers wonder why the h*** there are no defined length of notes by default (like music theory tells you there should be, and 99% of other hosts do have).

As mentioned before this could in the future be solved by having a default length to notes as a default mode for instrument. So for each instrument/sample you can choose a default note length (zero = like now, but also a hotkey to toggle it on/off).
Hard to say if this should be a per instrument option, or a global option…

To be more precise, it was discussed in this thread
http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php?sho…c=13777&hl=

thanks, folks. I second the motion of changeable defined note lengths.

Case for global option:

• Editstep is the closest existing feature, and it’s global.
  • Easier to understand why the f**k end-notes keep popping up this version when they didn’t last version :)
  • Stops newbies wondering if they should set default length using the instrument volume envelope (yes I know it’s not the same thing but sometimes it’s used that way) or by the “default note length” setting.

Rad suggestion Pysj.

Hehe! I was still wondering that less than two weeks ago…

you can also record whilst playing back and hitting the “Follow” button (little square thingy next to the transport bar).
You’ll record note offs as they happen.

Marco :)

and for the record…

the inputting of a Note Off (which is a big part of Renoise) STILL does not work perfectly with a bi-lingual set up (ie. IME Input)