Proper Panels for MIDI INST object

It would really be great to have panels for the MIDI INST object, a little bit like guru. These would be a great asset to Renoise, and could be bundled with the software.

Also, is there any way that the devs could add more parameters to one MIDI INST object, to save making four for one synth??

add more parameters to one MIDI INST object, to save making four for one synth??

Sorry, you lost me there.

What parameters would that be? Do you mean custom ones, as with Guru?

Well each inst object has around 20-30 parameters…so after that you need to make another object for the same device…eg

http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/files/file/19-instr-midi-control-novation-a-station/

would be great to be able to keep adding to the one

There are 35 sliders in total, which is the maximum number of device parameters that can be directly addressed via pattern commands: x001/x000 to turn the device itself on/off, plus 35 parameters indexed from x1yy to xZyy.

Theoretically, it would be possible to expand the Instr. MIDI Control device to include more parameters — perhaps even all 128 MIDI CC’s — but it would obviously not be possible to automate them all via the pattern editor (although graphical envelopes would still work).

Question is, is the MIDI Control device really the best candidate for this role? I mean, it was designed to let you easily automate a few parameters, not really to save/recall the entire state of your MIDI gear. It seems like a dedicated MIDI state or “snapshot” device may be better suited somehow (possibly even including SysEx dump functionality?), although not being a big MIDI user myself, I’m not sure what that might look like.

Hmm thats interesting…I didn`t think about the saving/recalling preset thing as well… to recall a preset now, would be pretty convoluted.

But a panel, sort of like guru would be great! If it`s midi CCs only, it would be easier for people to understand/program for

I think a lot of people still use midi gear, but I`m slightly biased

automate them all via the pattern editor (although graphical envelopes would still work).

I`ve never automated midi in the pattern editor - it takes too long, so this is fine

Once yougo into SYSEX territory, theres no going back. Sysex params would open up the panels to basically all (non-analog) synths. I dont know how you guys work, a simple CC one would be good…but SYSEX aswell…now you`re talking.

No software has the ability to automate sysex without a degree in dark matter. I would be up for helping to make this.

Everything that was made for Guru could be imported by someone :slight_smile: