Question about "fast runs" in slower songs (LPB related)

Hi everyone, I am new to Renoise and digital music-making in general. I have a very “noob” question. I’ve researched this for the past week, perused the forums (searched and found topics related to LPB and delay column but I am still lost), and analysed the included tutorials but still feel totally lost on this.

What is the best way to be able to have very fast note runs in an otherwise slow or mid-tempo song? For example, a “shred” solo where a lot of notes in one particular passage need to be very fast but the song itself remains slower/does not change tempo. I’m thinking that upping the LPB is the best way to do this. If so, is it mandatory to expand the pattern or can I keep it at 64 (i.e. does LPB 8 or 12 work with a pattern length of 64?) Is that correct? I know the delay column is an option in this (I think), but I can’t for the life of me figure it out. If it is the delay column, are there any video examples I could watch on how to work this?

If anyone could help me out with this I would be so thankful.

If you up the LPB for one section you’ll want to increase the pattern length to compensate.

Check 6587 LPB.xrns

Note, you can expand patterns with the Advanced Edit.

I’m thinking that upping the LPB is the best way to do this

Definitely a good way to do it, yes. Especially if you’re using tempo-synced plugins, as they will still use the BPM and not be affected by the change in LPB.

As for the delay columns, there is a couple of tutorials that are bundled with Renoise which demonstrate this feature.

You can click the logo in the lower right corner to quickly show the available tutorials.

Thanks to both of you for your responses.

lhaastdaiz, it seems I have tried expanding all of the patterns but, if I remember correctly, it negated the speed effect of increasing the LPB to 12. I’ll check again when I get home from work though.

danoise, I looked over those tutorials but still wasn’t quite sure the best way to go about it. I think I’ll keep going the increase LPB route though.

I guess this is why some people tend to work with higher LPBs everytime - so there already is a higher resolution if you need it.

If its just one Instrument playing a solo, you could write it in a phrase of the instrument in it’s own LPB without altering anything.

Maybe this is a way? :slight_smile:

I guess this is why some people tend to work with higher LPBs everytime - so there already is a higher resolution if you need it.

If its just one Instrument playing a solo, you could write it in a phrase of the instrument in it’s own LPB without altering anything.

Maybe this is a way? :slight_smile:

Yea, I have been trying to work with the second option you listed. I’m still learning though.

You really need to watch the tutorial videos.

http://www.renoise.com/tutorials

I nearly flipped my computer desk over after watching these, realizing how silly I used renoise

You really need to watch the tutorial videos.

http://www.renoise.com/tutorials

I nearly flipped my computer desk over after watching these, realizing how silly I used renoise

I’m going to make myself rewatch them. I watched a couple of them them before I bought it and while playing with the demo. That was a month or so ago though and my memory is terrible.