Question about multicore processing in relation to routing

Have you tried the same routing with others VSTI?

Good morning, no, not yet. I think then latency would be not accurate / daw controlled anymore.

I found one plugin which mainly caused stuttering: Ozone 8 spectral thing. But still, the usage only is at ~220% only, so like a quarter of the cpu is unused. Might be cpu spikes, but I cannot visualize those. Bitwig has a very good, very precise cpu meter graph, which does not help here.

Itā€™s really weird. Now the audio stutters when I am scrolling the pattern view horizontally. I would assume that the GUI engine is causing cpu spikes somehow. Hence the immense headroom.

Have you try some changes on audio driver settings or audio output settings?
Have you try with another souncard?

Damn, I found one problem that was causing the unusual cpu performance drop over time: My cpu cooler did not spin anymore :laughing: Quite remarkable performance for a computer without cooling!

Still, only 220%/400% of cpu is utilized in the activity monitor. I was looking for a system cpu meter which actually has such an high resolution that you can see cpu spikes, but could not find any for macosā€¦

I am very missing that cpu usage live table view from Buzz tracker in Renoiseā€¦ It also showed denormal spikes (I think the cpu then switches to a very slow, super accurate mode for some time, denormal number == way too small floating point values), I really wonder why no other DAW has this, because it seems to be still very relevant. Canā€™t be that difficult to implement either.

2 Likes

Yes, luckily CPUs since have an overheating protection these days and simply seem to drastically clock down or even halt, so it might be impossible to overheat it.

1 Like

Hi, is this still valid?

I am using a M1 pro and macos 12, I now have quite a lot performance degradation. The activity monitor shows Renoise with 130% usage (130 of 1000% or so), and the song already starts to stutter.

Is this maybe related to fix you did here? I have the impression that Renoise now performs quite worse. Before I hadnā€™t a single project anymore with didnā€™t run at 8msā€¦

Would the processing be more efficient, if I only used groups? I usually route bass + drums together, and either all the instruments or 2-3 groups of instruments.

Do you have any tips which routing would result in the most efficient processing? What happens, if I ā€œmisuseā€ the sidechain as routing device for send tracks next to a group?

Thanks for help!

Ok, I (hopefully) think that I found the cause for the bad performance: One more recent plugin hadnā€™t neither multiprocessing nor ā€œdisable on stopā€ enabled. This plugins sits on various tracks and also some mixdown busses. I now enabled multicore support for it, restarted renoise, and the project is again playable at 4ms latency :sweat_smile:

Is this an intended/expected behaviour, or maybe a bug?