Question: How to accurately build a note dependent eq frequency?

Hey,

I would like to limit the frequency range of an instrument in an exact way, so that I can define a start frequency and a end frequency, and both frequencies need to change but the played note. This needs to be perfectly exact. I also maybe want to change the offset of both frequencies later.

Of course I tried the key follower: I added two key followers, one for the low-cut frequency, and for the high-cut. But it’s kind of hard for me to get exact results with the device.

E.g. I start with F-3 and set a start frequency, let’s say 30 Hz. Now on F-4, it has to be 60 Hz, not 56Hz or 62Hz or something. Also on F-5 120Hz, F-6 240Hz and so on. The same goes for the second follower, it only addresses a much higher frequency.

And how about an offset for both frequencies, taking care of preserving the exact frequency range… This isn’t possible currently, right? I mean adding one value with a meta mixer to both frequencies wont help much, or is it possible? If I change the target frequency directly in the key follower, all offsets will be destroyed and I need to fix it again.

Maybe I didn’t get it to use this stuff properly, but it seems to me, that this problem should be improved by you developers. What about an offset slider for the eq device, so all bands will be moved/offsetted, taking care of logarithmic stuff?

Thanks for help.

You want to define which EQ frequency is being boosted the moment a note is received.

But, this I don’t understand - you want the EQ to gradually slide from the start towards the end value over some amount of time?

Or does the start/end simply refer to a given region of the keyboard that have these special EQ treatments ?

In any case, one possible approach would be to use the LFO as a custom “lookup device”. This approach has been used for tuning all sorts of native effects:https://forum.renoise.com/t/doofers-tuned-devices-bundle/41764

Hi,

no I want to cutoff (hp/lp) a frequency dependent on the note frequency, cutoff should appear instantly. The start/end refers a the whole region of the keyboard. I already tried the tuned devices, but somehow it wasn’t so practical.

I already tried the tuned devices, but somehow it wasn’t so practical.

Sounds like you just need to tweak the values in the LFO so they fit?

I mean, maybe you just need to “shift” the values sideways, in order to raise/lower the octave

LFO? Don’t understand… You mean some kind of transfer function using a custom wave in the lfo or something? I would like to have the most simple solution :slight_smile:

something like this?

http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/files/file/69-harmonic-consistent-eytracked-filter/

Sounds like you just need to tweak the values in the LFO so they fit?

I mean, maybe you just need to “shift” the values sideways, in order to raise/lower the octave

I don’t think that will work as that lfo data is designed to compensate for the non-linear input curve of the filter as well.

gova thanks, that one looks very good, at least for one filter.

gova thanks, that one looks very good, at least for one filter.

I was in the process of writing a tool that would pick any devicewith a frequency and make it work like this doofer, but I’ll wait for 3.1’s changes.

Btw. this technique, using a key following filter slope, works wonders on basses. If you move the low-cut and the high cut, it will sound smooth as hell.