Quit Making Music

As If There Is A Choice.

i’ve never thought of quitting cos i’ve never really got started.

i’ve entertained the thought, but no other art seems interesting to me (i.e. i can’t see myself painting, writing, etc.) also, knobs and blinking lights are way too fun.

Slaves to the Rave

quit music?

i can’t… it’s like masturbating… u can force yourself to not do it, but after a while you definatly will get an erection, no matter if you want it or not.

don’t collect your semen inside you, spread it to the world.

erm… nevermind… :blink: :wacko:

Manual mode or while interacting ?

:ph34r:

depends on your obsessions… :P :blink:

I get virtually 0 respect or anything like that and you couldn’t steal my equipment, cut off my arms, or anything short of killing me to stop making music. I’ve lost tons of music I made but I keep going. In my life, stress is a huge burden and the best way I get rid of it is making music.

It’s the one thing I can wrap myself in that makes me feel good no matter what. If I couldn’t make music, I’d seriously have committed suicide already.

i remember when i first started buying used synthes, samplers, amps and speakers.
i would rearrange the equipment a lot, because i was always taking stuff around with me. these configurations would become some type of adhoc control stations. i began limiting my influences drastically, most all pop music and all except for the stuff i already liked was constantly ignored. i even stopped talking to people that enjoyed pop music, every chance i tried excommunicating myself from pop culture, it would always come back.
I’ve always felt a very thick wall of a boundary i could only feel as Time.
i went through long periods of not hearing anything i was satisfied listening to. until when i started to find the stuff i really enjoyed listening to, was the time i began very much enjoying what i was making. all i had to do was turn around, and go back to see what had progressed from what i had i had found previously.

it makes all a world of sense now:

whatever it is that you wish to create, is already being created.
if you have yet to find it, stop and look around for a moment, it is probably right within your grasp. then once you find it, pick it up and plant it so it will grow. you can guide it but don’t move it, just let it grow.

Great thread. If you’re wondering about quitting, just do it. It’s like a drug addiction and the withdrawal is nuts, I’ll tell you from personal experience. Experience that withdrawal. Is it harsh? Does it burn? If the pain continues past 20 days (autogenic conditioning) you are not meant to quit. If you can walk away unharmed than you have 2 paths; (1)continue less affected (2)become something else. There is a risk in both options, a risk to your decisions, to your own sense of well being and who you are and a constant wondering about what could of have been. In the latter, that wonder may draw you back in, albiet in a different form, or it may make you harsh and emBITtered. Trends will pass and you’ll wonder how you could of participated. If you quit, you mark a timeline, but if you quit only to later start making music again, you may find that was the best thing for you. Trust your gut and do what suits you based on your intentions, commercially or privately. Always consider that the bitterness in itself might be a “gunnysacking” of material, such that when you break and hit the decks again it’s real music this time from a new place. By quitting you just reinterpreted. It’s mystical and magical and all that sh*t rolled into your own private idaho. Reinterpret.

I haven’t quit myself, have just been dormant quite a while. Can’t really remember the last time I was very active, to be honest. I want to make music, but it’s really hard these days. I have to really WORK to get anything worthwhile out there, but I still get some nifty ideas in my head, that I quickly dismiss as something I’ve heard before anyway.

What I make never sounds like anything I get in my head, which is kinda awesome, hehe…

But anyway, I could never quit. Never sell my equipment. It’s an identity I have, I’m a producer for life no matter what kind of breaks I have. Life doesn’t allow everything at once, I guess.

If there is at least one legal thing i buy in life, it is musicrelated software lik Renoise.
and why? since tracking changed my life permanently… and i encourage everyone i know to learn…
this since 1992 and im proud to have every sample and track intact.

Yes, let me again thank the Renoise devs.

Why people, why let life decide when to stop tracking? no wife, school, work, or situation can change your will to fill patterns with your own creative work.

People, think of a theme, start tracking and be proud!
Never stop!