Radium - a better(?) tracker...

Do you remember you first time seeing Renoise?I said the same thing when i first met Renoise but down the road it became second nature.All new things seem frustrated on the first run

It was 2015. :rofl: Radium is much older than Renoise though.

1 Like

Finally compiling that thing worked for me the other day. what a mess btw… but removed it again after 20 minutes… no overview whatsoever… Renoise is at least quite concrete… yes it has a steep learning curve… but i never really had to search how to only add an instrument or something like that…

Renoise has some logic in it… with Radium… thats far far away…

Lol… it also took me one hour to figure out where to put the vst. :joy:

1 Like

Exact. and when that has to take more then 10 minutes… im out… come on… some thing should be clear from the beginning :slight_smile:

Just checked the latest Radium version and the design improved to previous versions.

2 Likes

yeah, it got a lot more useable! I can sort of enjoy using it now :slight_smile:

I’ve been using Renoise for 15 years. It will be very difficult to convince me to use something else.
I like to hear it’s got visible waves in pattern, but to convince me to even try it would be if it has automatable sample start/loop/end. Does it?

How does this compare to renoise stability wise ? Does it crash easily when handeling vst instruments etc?
I downloaded the demo jesus this ui…

1 Like

Radium has got a few things going for it that Renoise doesn’t, and that’s access to all sorts of weird granular, PureData and modular stuff. Other than that, everything about it is very distracting, even with the updated UI. I really wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt, but until that mess of a screen gets to a point where it doesn’t distract me, and it doesn’t need JACK to load it (yeah, I’m on a Mac), and the literal TONS of menus get organized… Sorry, can’t stand the vertical waveforms - I don’t want to see the waveforms, I want to focus on composing music :smiley: I’m too old for the flashy stuff.

Check it out, though. It’s kinda like if Renoise went modular and included ALL of the weird audio processing stuff that most music makers won’t/don’t know how to use - cool for me, sucks for ‘boom boom pre-made samples Johnny’. Definitely necessary to read a manual and learn it step by step.

I feel it could be a serious contender, but it’s still got a ways to go to be commercial like Renoise. UI is key here.

1 Like

Yea indeed i feel like the ui is holding it back loads. I cant even get a simple 4/4 kick to make sound. Is 6.3.84 supposed to be the version with the updated ui? Are the audio processes native or are u talking about pd ?

2 Likes

Some seem native, like granular, and others may be PD elements. I can’t even focus enough to try it. That’s my issue :joy:

Do you still need to fuck about with JACK on Windows or can it just use ASIO like a normal music software ?

I think you still have to fuck Jack :sweat_smile:

Its actually a really nice tracker once u are u able to navigate the ui. The displayed wavevorms makes it really easy to get drums real tight. And the fact u can let notes play whilst u try out other notes underneath makes it really neat for chord building. Shame u cant chop up breaks tho. The zooming feature also makes it easy to create weird rhythms.

1 Like

new version really works great, Radium is getting very usable lately. new version let’s you quickly configure shortcuts, gui elements are now automatically selected by hovering over them and the sequencer can be stuck underneath the instrument window.

Especially love the Blocks workflow, very well thought out. It’s more flexible than the Renoise Matrix and works the way FL Studio should in theory work. You can make a Pattern Block, clone it and then mute individual parts quickly, but also lay other Pattern Blocks ontop of it in another sequencer lane + the ability to have audio tracks.

The GUI might look scary at first, but once you figured it out, it’s just great! everything is accessible quickly and the software is actually rather easy to use! offers quit good usability imo, with lots of features being directly accessible without menu diving or lots of window switching!

I have to start jack manually on mac though via the terminal to get it to work

jackd -dcoreaudio makes it happen, in case anybody is wondering.

The developer is also super responsive and open to feature ideas and implementations and new features get added rather often.

I very much suggest you get a subscription to Radium and send the dev a few euros every months!

Yeah this would have been fun to try out if it wasn’t for Jack. It doesn’t work here, after fiddling with settings for 10 minutes.

1 Like

Also doesn’t really work on macos either. I once suggested to the author to support the native audio apis, but I think he actually only cares for Linux. Also the GUI / workflow seems to me a bit complicated, and I totally hate it to enter “ok” for exit etc. This is not a software for mouse clickers. On the other hand I like to use keyboard shortcuts, but it also should work nicely with the mouse… Renoise is the reference hehe

1 Like

Played again with it yesterday and after some time it’s getting quite straightforward. Can anybody judge the stability?

For the love of God is there any good video about this cause i cant find nothing?