(Re)Scanning Vsts Crashes Renoise?

This is not a real problem, but a slight annoyance. Since a few weeks I use Windows 7 (64 bit version) and I noticed Renoise is crashing once I add/remove/replace VST plug-ins. After restarting Renoise, new plug-ins show up in the list and can also be used.
Renoise also crashes when I click [Rescan] in the preferences and then load a VST instance in effects or instruments. Once again, after restarting Renoise everything is back to normal.

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Try starting Renoise as administrator and redo the scan.
Some plugins need read/write access to certain folders, access which they don’t have by default in Windows 7 -> new Microsoft security policy (read:the old Linux security policy)

Renoise already runs with admin privileges by default. To be absolutely sure the correct account is used I tried right-click -> run as admin… still the same problem.
Another DAW (eg. Reaper) does not crash while scanning/ refreshing.

The crashes are logged in the Windows Event log.

Faulting application name: Renoise.exe, version: 2.5.1.0, time stamp: 0x4bb34e79
Faulting module name: imagehlp.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bd9fc
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00008684
Faulting process id: 0xdf4

Windows crash files are available too.

If you rescan plugins without the “Rescan previously failed Plugins” option, it does not crash. Is that correct?

There must be some plugin or DLL that causes this crash, but not immediately, but some when later on. A look into the Renoise look might help here: Take a look at which plugins, DLLs failed to load as plugins and trash them - if possible. Or simply disable the “Rescan Previously failed Plugs” option in Renoises preferences / misc tab.

To view Renoises log file, click on “Help -> Show Log File…” please.

Ok, I feel rather stupid right now… The cause was indeed a VST plug-in that was missing some info. On my old system I had another DAW installed which came with several VST plug-ins. The DLL files all reside in a single folder, so every VST capable application can use them. During migration to my new computer, the folders where copied 1:1, but registration info was lost of course.

How I was able to isolate the ‘faulty’ plug-ins:

• Delete the files ‘cachedVSTs.db’ and ‘CachedFailedVSTs.db’ (found in C:\Users[account name]\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V2.5.1 )
  • Start Renoise
  • Open the file ‘Log.txt’ file in the same folder as step 1 and look for failed instances.

The problem is solved, but it would be nice if Renoise could suppress these kind of crashes (extended error handler?).

Thanks!

It does, but it can only sort out bogus plugins when they immediately crash. If they cause a random crash that happens later on (thats what happened in your case) we don’t know which plugin caused the crash and thus also can not remove, disable it for scanning.

Whatever we do, plugins will always manage to break and crash Renoise. All the can do is making this less likely.

With 2.6 b2 I get a screen (win 7 64bit) that tells me the programfiles path is write protected.
When I start Renoise as administrator it’s gone. As MSXuser stated earlier in this topic, shouldn’t renoise have admin previleges by default?

If you start Renoise as your user, not as admin, then it can only do what you can do.

See Windows: Vst Problems ("Can'T Load Module: Bla Errors)? for more info about how to enable r/w access to the VST folders.