Real Sidechaining

Yes, I think it should be working!

There is a demo at the bottom of this page:

1 Like

Huu i spent so much time reading pages and pages that i didnt see the demo ! Gotta try, thanks a lot. Anyway, i’m not into that big pumping sidechaining effect anymore, the style i’m targetting needs very subtle effect, and mostly for the sake of a good mixing. In the case my cpu is too weak (i fear that) and i have to keep my old tricks, but with these compressors that adds a very cool color to my synth sounds : would you rather technically have a signal follower from the kick affecting the threshold, or the input gain of the compressor ? Small details that kill me. I’ve been using Renoise compressor for years but i can now see subtle differences and results with other compressors. AND i wanna stick to Renoise with some real sidechaining if possible, don’t wanna move to other DAWs : ) And i wanna do things the good way

Usually I just use a gainer, but use whatever sounds better. Or wait until sidechaining will work in Renoise.

“Until sidechaining will work in Renoise”, that would be the best day of my friggin life for real

Maybe something can be done with the free minihost modular? I’ve not tried it in a while so can’t remember how/ if it copes with sidechain. You need a FL forum account to download. Could be worth investigating:

EDIT: tested, see my post below

Pretty sure you will not miss it :slightly_smiling_face:

Confirmed to work in principle with the free Minihost

Note:

• Play marked in red on the left of the Piano Roll needs to be enabled:
  • Probably a good idea to disable autosuspend in renoise aswell

right-click and ‘view image’ for full size:

minihost

• Piano roll sends notes to kick synth.
  • Kick synth sends audio to side-chain.
  • Main audio is sent through main input of compressor (long yellow cables)
1 Like

I always solve it like this: TrackA - Signal Follower (flip min / max) -> SendTrack - Hydra -10db to 0 db -> TrackB … -Gain / filter etc. works great for me. is this not the real sidechain?

I currently use alot Shaperbox for sidechaining and i love it. Renoise does a perfect job to correctly compensate audio, sync, midi and so on. I think i’ll never need audio sidechain, except for stuff like Trackspacer.

Out of curiosity, what purpose does the Hydra serve? I always just used Signal Follower > Gainer. Why the intermediate Hydra?

you switch hydra between signal follower and gainer, for example. So you can control several things with the hydra, such as bass, pad, melody, vocals. you don’t need 10 signal followers but only one at the source.
It is a kind of advanced signal splitter…!? … because you can still set each signal

Signal follower, hydra, lfo etc are realy powerfull devices in renoise, more powerfull than devices in reason for example if you know how to work with them

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure trackspacer is spectral compression, or akin to. You can’t do that natively in Renoise.

1 Like

yes you can if you insert 32 signal followers to trigger specific range, and now you need eq with 32 bands or 4 eq10, but beware, those bands are not fixed width in trackspacer.
I’d rather spend 15 minutes arranging/playing than trying to reinvent the wheel…

if you’d at least read the basic info about trackspacer - from the home page, you would use your logic - but writing nonsense like this (in a row) you just proved that you do not use it at times.

you’ve claimed some stuff like 10th time in a row that it’s possible, and after some arguments, you just evade/ignore arguments . I cannot take you seriously anymore.