Reaper vs Logic for Rewire with Renoise

After trying to be all hardware and retro using a cassette 4 track I’m finally coming back around to the idea of a computer centred workflow.

I’m deciding between Logic and Reaper (running on a two-year-old macbook pro).

I want to rewire Renoise and also sync an MPC 500. I’ll also be midi controlling and recording synths and probably pulling audio loops in from Korg Gadget via Live Lite.

It was Ableton that sent me running away from computers in the first place, so I don’t really want to go back there for anything else other than interfacing with gadget…

I’ve had a little experience using Reaper and rewire with Renoise and it was a little frustrating, but that was a few years ago.

So… which would you recommend?

They’re both pretty good, and they both have their pros and cons. If you like simple, I would go with Reaper, just because it’s the most basic straight forward no bullshit DAW ever. You just got tracks, and the things you put on the tracks. It has a pretty damn powerful modulation system, and is powerful in general, but if all you want is something simple that simply works, Reaper is good at that.

I don’t know if you have access to Logic to try Logic, but you can try Reaper free 60 days with no limitations. I think the best thing for you to do is actually just try both DAWs and see which you like better.

Thanks for the reply. From what I’ve read since posting it seems Rewire is an exercise in frustration a lot of the time on any platform.

I like renoise and I like reaper. But I do not digg rewire.

I tried a long time to use renoise as the most powerful sampler it is in reaper but it was just always in the way and no fun to work with.

MIDI routing to renoise via virtual midi cable, missed first note on playback start, always never sure where to put my notes, do I like piano-roll or tracker for this, meh…

I never got in the flow using the combination of renoise and reaper. It always felt kind-a-wrong for me.

At the moment, I use either or.

I will give mixing in reaper a try though, after I rendered all tracks in renoise to disc…

As for logic: I never tried it.