Recommend me a new DAW

Mmmmmh, they releasing now of course because xmas selling? People tend to buy lot of useless stuff before xmas…

Well I am the one with that opinion, but for me Cubase become so non creative regarding features, since… 10 years? Ok, it most complete, and most things are very solid. So this tiny little sampler already HAS SPLINE CURVES!! WHY NOT RENOISE??? Mixer undo is only for pro version… pah…

Mmmmmh, they releasing now of course because xmas selling? People tend to buy lot of useless stuff before xmas…

Maybe,but if you check the update history of FL Studio,launch a new version every 4 months, about 3 for year, approximately:http://www.image-line.com/flstudio/history.php|http://www.image-line.com/documents/news.php?entry_id=1478066386&title=fl-studio-124-released

On the other hand, Cubaseupdate at the end of the year:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steinberg_Cubase|http://download.steinberg.net/downloads_software/Cubase_Pro_9_and_Cubase_Artist_9/9.0.1/Cubase_9.0.1_Version_History.pdf

Fl Studio and Cubase has the business well assembled, dividing into bundles.For more information, Cubase 9 is multi-lingual, Fl Studio 12 is available in English only (If you are German, French or Spanish, you must resign yourself).

Renoise isn’t dead, no. Maybe they’re working more on something that integrates a tracker approach within other DAWs, like Redux but deeper. I’d love to see that, some kind of portable tracker interface that can replace the piano roll in other DAWs, without ReWire, deeper than Redux’s relatively limited phrases. But, what a nightmare to keep it compatible with all hosts; how to implement the integration in the first place in each one; etc. So who knows? Another thing would maybe be a mobile version that acts mainly as a (tracker-interface) MIDI sequencer for driving outboard hardware (lots of people getting back into hardware these days), could be great.

I’ve got a workflow using Reaper and Renoise together that works great for me, not many kinks left. It’d be nice to see the Renoise sampler get deeper, add groups like Kontakt, triggering conditionals (if/then type stuff for triggering samples), built-in batch processing for all sample processing functions (sample rate, bits, etc), maybe a clip-board type thing for scraps of audio you don’t want in any current instrument but want to keep for later, things like that. Everybody’s got a wish-list, I don’t blame the devs at all for not paying them much mind – I would, too. Anyway I love Renoise, even if they were to drop it I’d still use it as long as I could keep a compatible computer around.

Since 2 years it’s always the same. Not the smallest informations about updates. Devs are working on this and that. I’m really sick of it.

Yes, I assume Renoise is not dead, but also it seems that Renoise development ist not kicking and alive as it was three years ago. It seems that devs are focusing on other things like Redux or some fancy new product. Maybe they have just lost the interest and fun in Renoise development. After 15 years, maybe “die Luft ist raus” ? Maybe they need to do something new ? I could understand it. But it would be sad, because Renoise still lacks a lot of features. IMO it’s far form finished.

On the other hand: maybe they develop a completely new tracker based DAW from scratch. Means a complete rewrite ?

PEOPLE, THAT WOULD BE AWESOME !!!

Since 2 years it’s always the same. Not the smallest informations about updates. Devs are working on this and that. I’m really sick of it.

Yes, I assume Renoise is not dead, but also it seems that Renoise development ist not kicking and alive as it was three years ago. It seems that devs are focusing on other things like Redux or some fancy new product. Maybe they have just lost the interest and fun in Renoise development. After 15 years, maybe “die Luft ist raus” ? Maybe they need to do something new ? I could understand it. But it would be sad, because Renoise still lacks a lot of features. IMO it’s far form finished.

On the other hand: maybe they develop a completely new tracker based DAW from scratch. Means a complete rewrite ?

Indeed,if this particular speculation turned out to be true it wouldbe totallyawesome. Maybe also a requirement for reaching out to a much larger userbase (if that’s ofany concern for the devs).

Maybe it’s the casethat taktik now has everything in place to build further on his various coding experiences (e.g. Ableton, Renoise,SupraMotion). Now if the developers’ new secret projectis aboutstandalone rather than a plugin, it could very well mean an arranger forboth audiotracks and video… and in the long term some internal linktoaccess/syncthe audio contents ofRenoise the tracker in a bi-directional manner. Add the effects and sample mangling stuff from Renoise/Redux,expose it totheyoutubers and say hello to a large crowd of potential users.

Roppenzo, I will not recommend to switch completely to another DAW, but I can tell you about the audio software that I purchased and that like to use. My philosophy is, rather buy one specialized tool for one special purpose, instead of one big solution that promises everything, and only keeps half of its promises meets only half of my expectations :slight_smile:

1. Renoise. You already know it, not much to explain here. I use it, simply because I like to work with a tracker. I think I will never fall in love with piano rolls, so I guess I will always stick with it. Here on my PC, I never experienced problems with it.

2. Reaper. I use it for recording hardware synths, mixing audio tracks, for certain sample treatments, as the most stable plugin host that I found so far - but did I mention that I don’t like a piano roll all the time? :slight_smile: Super nice community. Yesterday I found a good review here, that also tells something about its interesting history and development, besides its features:https://www.extremraym.com/en/reaper-5-review/

3. Usine Hollyhock. Sensomusic is a very small company, low update frequency, but with great support, and a good community forum. It is really crazy what you can do with it. I think if you come from Renoise and expect something linear youo might be shocked. It is a modular environment that allows you to build your own system according to your specific needs. I guess mainly used in live situations and for sound design. For all kind of sample manipulation, granular synthesis, sequencing, looping, envelopes, lfos, effects, etc. it provides 400 modules that you can combine to a totally unique machine. It is also scriptable, so you can expand its abilities. Interesting is also the user exchange - on their website they promote “350 addons”. You can download and try what others built, change it, incorporate it in your own system etc. It offers a good connectivity: you could even control your light show with it, use it with touch screens, play it live with a leap motion interface and more. I think due to its modularity it has infinite possibilities. Maybe there are parallels to Bidule or Audiomulch, but I do not know exactly how they work. Sometimes I had problems loading 32 and 64 bit-plugins at the same time, that’s why I use the stable Reaper as a plugin host - but actually if you build your own patches using the built-in modules you do not need so many 3rd party plugins. Here are two examples, what users built (in youtube you find plenty of demos and examples [searchterms: usine, hollyhock, sensomusic]): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEja0SePDIw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxzWvH4RFR4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fGRhZEjJns

All three are totally different beasts, and you cannot really compare them. Only their pricing is comparable. One provides straight linearity, the other one adds a little bit of chaos - I need both. If necessary I can route the midi and audio information from one to the other one.

Reaper and Usine are currently not my main tools, but I regard them as nice to have and sometimes as essential helpers for certain tasks. Recently I used the Zoom R16. It has more audio inputs than my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, which is more useful for me, so I tend to use Reaper less often for recording, and instead I record the eight tracks directly to the SD card and use built-in effects that are not too bad for what I try to do.

Wow, Usine is crazily beautiful! :blink:

Roppenzo, I will not recommend to switch completely to another DAW, but I can tell you about the audio software that I purchased and that like to use. My philosophy is, rather buy one specialized tool for one special purpose, instead of one big solution that promises everything, and only keeps half of its promises meets only half of my expectations :slight_smile:

1. Usine Hollyhock. Sensomusic is a very small company, low update frequency, but with great support, and a good community forum.

Woohoo looks good! Thank you. :slight_smile:

Beautiful, powerful, and requires some time to learn it. … :slight_smile:

It becomes even more beautiful with custom built interfaces. (I wish I had the skills to build my own controller):

it can interface with many things

Light and sound powered by usine, performed by the developer

I can recommend Mixbus/Ardour as a complementary product that does everything that Renoise lacks. I connect them via Jack (basically open source alternative to ReWire).

I am leaning to be Linux only one day…

I am leaning to be Linux only one day…

Hi kopias, I am Linux only since like… 15 years or so!?

For me it’s Renoise only right now, I only occasionally use Ardour if I want to record multiple tracks at the same time.

For VST / VSTi I use u-he products:http://www.u-he.com/cms/

All their VST(i)s have Linux versions, you can get the demos here:http://u-he.com/downloads/?p=penguin/release

Tracktion also has Linux VST(i)s:https://www.tracktion.com/products/biotek

I don’t own them but I’ve tried the BioTek demo and it’s pretty amazing.

If I need something customized or some special application, I build stuff with PureData: http://puredata.info/
It’s a Max/MSP compatible graphical programming environment.

I’ve tried many DAWs and tools for Linux and other OS (Seq24, Cubase, FruityLoops, Reason, etc.).

But I educated myself in the 90s using Amiga computers, so tracker style sequencing is just in my veins, can’t do anything about it :D:D :smiley:

So for me Renoise + all these tools offer me way more options than I will ever be able to use… :smiley:

I have been a solid Linux user since th 90’s. At the time I was using the typical music programs on Macintosh, but I used Linux for most everything else.

Linux has many advantages over the two big players and people are slowly starting to understand the benefits of Open Source. I won’t debate the subject here.

Renoise is cutting edge in it’s own way and I use it a lot. I use it side by side with other DAWs depending on what I’m doing at the time.

I also use Qtractor(quick and easy), Ardour(some nice features) and Bitwig.

Bitwig is not Open Source, but I support them because of the fact that they do embrace Open Source.

I’m happy that I can do everything I need on Linux anymore.

It is curious to read comments like yours.I can not stop searching for information about the LUA API in the forums, and you are everywhere for years.However, I am saddened by the current situation. With people eager to have a better Renoise, and have no official information, an impressive passivity.I very much doubt that they are developing a full DAW again.What’s more, I think they are not doing anything at all with renoise/redux.I understand that some bugs are being fixed, nothing else.They may launch a version 3.1.1, but will continue to have bugs.Because it seems to only fix some things reported by users, without a deep testing team.

So you better not get excited about great things in a long time. Use 3.1 and keep making tools and enjoy the music. Or migrate to another DAW.

Do you plan to make more tools?Or are you jaded?

Airmann, maybe you could update your faderport driver with danoise recent xlib way of writing automation, so it works with LPB higher than 4 (he uses idle event and some offset calculation, can extract it for you)? At least, still problem here on Mac. Still unsure, if we have to blame the devs here… Your auto color tool is awesome BTW!

Do you plan to make more tools?Or are you jaded?

Right now, nothing in the pipeline. As long as I use Renoise I will maintain the faderport driver, though. I’d love to see that the Renoise dev team would add some improvements to LUA API. E.g. undo support for external controllers/faders, or “fader touched/untouched” support. Taktik mentioned in the past that e.g. proper undo support should be done somewhere in the future. But I’m not sure if this will ever be done. And of course: to be held in the dark is not exactly a motivation boost There’s nothing like an official Renoise roadmap or something like that.

Yep, frustrating…

Airmann, maybe you could update your faderport driver with danoise recent xlib way of writing automation, so it works with LPB higher than 4 (he uses idle event and some offset calculation, can extract it for you)? At least, still problem here on Mac. Still unsure, if we have to blame the devs here… Your auto color tool is awesome BTW!

That’s an interesting idea. You could try to do that and send me the result. Actually I’ve planned to do a new faderport driver release in Januar 2016 for 3.1, but since the old driver code worked out of the box with minimum effort, I didn’t do it. BTW: there’s a new Faderport8 controller on the market since 14.12.2016. ^^

Maybe it’s wrong place to post it, but.

Wtf with this people that running around forums and complaining about features from another software? Why is renoise lacking some features is like end of the day for them, the sky is falling and other bullshit. And yet the guy who use peace of technology from 80’s considered cool. What wrong with people who can’t even learn basic stuff, likerandomisingpanorama and such, complain so much. Like people who can’t even use the functionality of the tracker thats presented in one form or another from the begininng of such trackers… WTF?

Maybe it’s wrong place to post it, but.

Wtf with this people that running around forums and complaining about features from another software? Why is renoise lacking some features is like end of the day for them, the sky is falling and other bullshit. And yet the guy who use peace of technology from 80’s considered cool. What wrong with people who can’t even learn basic stuff, likerandomisingpanorama and such, complain so much. Like people who can’t even use the functionality of the tracker thats presented in one form or another from the begininng of such trackers… WTF?

Exactly. Too many people on the forum that complain and wine about trivial things and spread bad atmosphere. Funny thing is, you never see actual music from them.

Exactly. Too many people on the forum that complain and wine about trivial things and spread bad atmosphere. Funny thing is, you never see actual music from them.

Maybe I would agree if there weren’t many solid aspects which justify criticism. The Renoise customer management is just lousy, and it doesn’t help to ignore that fact. It’s arrogant or at least ignorant to blame unhappy users for that. If there weren’t so many unsolved topics in Renoise, people wouldn’t criticize that much. As long as critcism is done in a polite and factual manner it should be totally ok. On the other hand: as a developer I wouldn’t accept insults and bashing.

Regarding the argument “stop complaining and make more music”. If this statement was the foundation for music production, we still would use wooden sticks in the jungle. And Renoise never had been written, because people still would use The Ultimate Soundtracker on Amiga 500. Progress and invention have been there all the time.

No progress = standstill = dead.