Record automation with high resolution

Imo it’s absolutely not acceptable that renoise still records automation in line resolution. It should be high / tick resolution always…

At least while moving sliders by hand or midi.

So for offering this to lua, the api needs some kind of stable called interrupt to which you can register, instead imprecise idle constructions. Do you remember interrupts on amiga?

Do you remember interrupts on amiga?

Ah, the Amiga and interrupts…just a touch of nostalgia ffx. Great set of mods btw (where melody is very important) :slight_smile:

https://youtu.be/FUCVttecb88?t=855

1 Like

the api needs some kind of stable called interrupt to which you can register, instead imprecise idle constructions

This is not really a limitation of the API - MIDI input exist in the realtime thread and can be received with perfect timing.

It’s only when a tool is asked to produce output on it’s own that the lazy idle timing becomes a factor.

Try with xRules, the “automapping” example does high-res recording on the selected parameter (both temporally and with 14-bit precision).

And yes, would be great to have natively but it’s not that it can’t be done.

Thanks danoise,

ok maybe lua part is already good enough??

But I wish (and I guess most people, too) a precise normal automation recording first, regardless of lua problems.

Agree that the resolution is a pain. A quick user-level workaround is to increase LPB and expand selection/pattern by the LPB increase factor, or increase tempo and use phrases. Atleast AFK, I remember having done this a few times.

Edit: just occurred to me you were asking for recording automation, not inputting, but I guess the same would apply with some interpolation after the fact, but that’s a bit long-winded. Apologies for the misunderstanding.