record CC data without overwriting earlier data

Is it possible to loop a sequence of notes and record CC instructions on each iteration, without having later CC commands overwrite the earlier ones? For instance, if CC1 controlled one parameter, and CC2 another, etc., and I recorded on the first pass some instructions (played by hand in realtime) for CC1, and then on the next pass instructions for CC2, would the instructions for CC1 remain in place?

I’m coming to Renoise from Ableton Live, which unless I misunderstand, is hopelessly unable to do what I want.

Cool!

Can those columns hold instructions for more than one CC number, as long as the instructions arrive in serial? That is, something like “CC1: 60, CC2: 128 …” And if so, how concurrent can a set of CC changes be and still count as non-simultaneous?

I ask because I trigger CC changes on a monome, and often press 3 or 4 buttons at once, thus changing 3 or 4 CC numbers at once – but my fingers don’t land exactly simultaneously, just close to it.

Are you purposely recording as Pattern Effect commands? Is it because you don’t want to (or don’t know of) recording into the graphical Automation lanes? You haven’t mentioned what your CCs are for so exactly how you would do this depends on their usage and how they are mapped.

If you do want to record as graphical automation the first step is the third button on the control bar at the bottom of the pattern editor.

When enabled (highlighted) automation will be recorded graphically, otherwise it will go into the pattern effect commands.

Pattern effect commands can record any MIDI data received. Graphical automation needs the CC to be related to something.

For effects MIDI Map the CC to the value and it will record under the effect’s parameter name.
For plug-in synths you need to use a Instrument Automation Device, set one of its sliders to the parameter, then MIDI Map to the above Meta device.
But I guess you are using external gear and will be wanting to use a Instrument MIDI Control Device, which will record the CC and then send it out again on playback.

Or if you actually do want to record into the pattern editor (I admit I haven’t done this from MIDI, only right-clicking etc) but if you have the cursor on the Notes part of the Track then it should create a new Effects Column if needed, or you can place the cursor on the particular Effect Column you want the data to be recorded into.

Thank you for the long response. I feel bad for burdening you with so much work!

I want to record CC instructions for a VST synth – a modified version of Spark, which is a synth written in Reaktor. There are over a hundred controls on it, each listening to a different CC number, and I use a large fraction of them at once.

How many is a large number? If over 8 you are going to be forced to use the Graphical Automation anyway, as this is the maximum number of effect columns, so might be worth you looking into it now.

Particularly try and understand this part of the manual:
http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Meta_Devices#Automation_Devices

As it’s a VST you should be able to use the Instrument Automation Device (which generally seems preferable.) But as it has MIDI CCs hard assigned to it, if the naming of the parameters is not at all helpful, I believe it should still be possible with the Instrument MIDI Control Device (although I have not personally used this to control software via MIDI I’m 95% sure you can.)