Recording audio from vst straight into sample editor?

Could anyone help me record the audio coming out of an instrument into the sample editor? Trying to record some of my piano playing and then process it later from the sample/instrument editor.

At the moment I’m recording my playing into the pattern editor and then rendering to sample. However i’d like a slightly more organic approach if possible. Basically trying to emulate having a hardware synth but doing it with my midi controller and vst/sampled instruments!

If it’s of any help I have an Akai EIE audio interface and am using mac. I’m still a bit of a novice with audio routing unless its in renoise directly (sends etc)

Cheers!

1. Set up a send track, with audio routed OUT interface 3/4

2. Connect cables from OUT 3/4 to IN 3/4

3. Configure “record sample” window to record IN 3/4 - DO NOT MONITOR

4. Place send devices on any tracks you want to record, and send them to the send track from step 1. Keep the source so you can hear it while playing.

I haven’t tried this :slight_smile: So I don’t know if it’ll work. Worst case scenario is Renoise prevents you from playing notes while it’s recording… in which case you can use any old audio recorder to capture the signal coming off your IN 3/4, and then load that sample into renoise.

For those with the same wish on windows;

Could anyone help me record the audio coming out of an instrument into the sample editor?

Put this vst plugin on the particular track you’re recording in;http://anarchysoundsoftware.co.uk/anarchysoundsoftware/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/anarchyrecorder.zip

When installed in your vst directory & initialized in Renoise, open the gui and press record, do your keyboard magic and afterwards return to the plugin gui and press save to keep the recording.

I see anarchy effects has a new page now with mac versions of his main plugins, but I;m not sure recorder is in it(?);http://www.anarchy-rhythms.com/

Jack is my remedy for this on linux.

You can set up a track where your instrument is bound to via the midi tab, and also your keyboard is bound to that instrument via the midi tab.

Then you apply shit here and there, and let it output not to master, but to virtual outputs, not the outputs 1/2 that master is blowing to, but some other (config renoise to have enough inputs/outputs).

In another track, you select a line in device. And then one instrument and hit record for that track. Booom! You just need to virtually connect the outputs from the first instrument track to the inputs that are associated to the line in device in some jack controller.

You can even playback some patterns from another tracks as a backing while you jam and directly record to a sample without that backing track. Mapping your keyboard and the sender track via the midi tab is essential, else it will be hassle to zap to and fro to control the right instrument and let it output to the right track while trying to record to another instrument.

I hope jack or similliar technologies are also available properly from win/mac people. It really is some cool system for audio routing between apps and even loopbacking like in this example.

Jack can also do this on Windows, but it’s a bit tedious to set up.

The most elegant way I found is having a soundcard with a “loopback” function. When turned on, this feature allows you to record any audio playing inside your computer. So you can record whatever you want using Renoise’s sample recorder. (Renoise itself, youtube, movies etc.) My Steinberg UR-44 has this and it really makes life so much easier.

If you have Redux the easiest way must be to load the instrument in Redux and plugin grab it in Renoise.

1. Set up a send track, with audio routed OUT interface 3/4

2. Connect cables from OUT 3/4 to IN 3/4

3. Configure “record sample” window to record IN 3/4 - DO NOT MONITOR

4. Place send devices on any tracks you want to record, and send them to the send track from step 1. Keep the source so you can hear it while playing.

I haven’t tried this :slight_smile: So I don’t know if it’ll work. Worst case scenario is Renoise prevents you from playing notes while it’s recording… in which case you can use any old audio recorder to capture the signal coming off your IN 3/4, and then load that sample into renoise.

Will give this a go, would be nice if it could be done internally

Jack is my remedy for this on linux.

I hope jack or similliar technologies are also available properly from win/mac people. It really is some cool system for audio routing between apps and even loopbacking like in this example.

Apparently jack is available for mac? http://www.jackaudio.org/downloads/

no idea how to use it though haha… have to input a command on those programming screens…

You will need a controlling/visualisation program for jack, like “qjackcontrol”. Or “patchage”, which is more like a modular canvas, and should also have a mac version.

Btw…do renoise mac/win support jack, or is it only for the linux version?