Recording Vocals In Renoise

Thinking about actually recording vocals into renoise and i was just checking if you guys had any experience in doing this, talking points such as:

what are your favorite techniques

what programs do you use

What equipment do you use

chhheears

This guy did it all in Renoise, and shared the XRNS files too:

http://hunz.com.au/2009/05/new-album-is-out-now-its-free/

I hold the naked mic kinda close to the mouth, but a bit to the side (I’m gangsta like that, I just don’t give a fuck… and nobody seems to notice or at least care haha, so bollocks to recording in a studio). Then I airbrush the stuff in the Renoise sample editor… breathing noises, clicks and pops… it’s amazing how much you can clean up a recording this way, you get an eye for it after a while. Also I’d rather spend 15 minutes cleaning up a 2 minute recording, than spending 60 minutes trying to get the recording just right… which usually leaves me with a WORSE recording AND a tongue that feels like a sock!

So yeah, that wasn’t really helpful, but I felt like sharing anyway :P

• Renoise for recording
  • something I still need to buy for denoising cough
  • digital lyrics assistant (notepad)

microphone + preamp + USB audio interface

i’ve looked at them so hard but can’t understand how he did it!

I’m using a mic, a preamp, and a compressor on the insert of the preamp. That goes into a mixer (where it gets a little reverb) and then on into my interface.

As far as techniques are concerned, I guess I don’t really have any that are Renoise-specific. I tend to bounce things down and clean up the noise and the dynamics in Cool Edit.

I’m using my built-in microphone from my laptop, your atmosphere should be completely silent (if you have an air-conditioner inside, this will help minimize the noise coming from your breath or the wind. If you are using Realtek sound cards you can enable the noise suppression from the control panel. I hope that helps!

other than hitting record in renoise there is nothing really renoise specific about recording vocals in renoise i dont think.

i prefer to record in reaper,… raw vocals from mic straight to hdd, then i’ll do some processing with nebula3, run it through its preamps and eq’s and then its off to work.

reaper is just a recording preference of mine nothing else before someone asks.

what do you guys do to keep your recordings in time, and in tune!, cos the way i record i cant see the notes coming up and havin a little bit of difficulty…in places like reaper you can see whats coming up etc…

I wear headphones when I record, so I record along the track… I can’t SEE what’s coming up, but as far as I’m concerned that’s not an issue when recording. Trust thy ears!

Practice!

http://renoise.com/wiki/Recording_Vocals

I created a Renoise tutorial that shows how to work with vocal tracks. This also works with any other kind of longer samples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=022yV0Yc9cQ

That’s actually a lot of unnecessary effort for something that’s really quite simple.

Everything in your video can be done much more easily with a couple of nice feature in Renoise: Slice Markers and Autoseek.

You don’t need to destructively cut out the first part of the sample just to line up the first word. Simply place a slice marker on the first word ‘work’ instead, and then trigger that marker in your pattern with a C#4 note instead of the C-4 basenote.

You also don’t need to manually cut/render the whole recording into multiple smaller pattern-sized pieces. You could add slice markers for each line/verse/whatever, and then trigger those at the start of your patterns, or wherever you like. Alternatively, you could simply enable Autoseek in the Sample Properties, place a single note in your first pattern, and then Autoseek will take care of playing and syncing the sample position during the rest of your song.

<— Thinking about actually recording vocals into renoise

The only true difference is in the multi-track. If you do not need that ability for the task, than its hard to see much diff between recording in Renoise and any other daw. Like anything, you start off by asking yourself, “am I using the right tool for the right job?” Its an important aspect of anything, whether you are building a house, or a record.

<---- what are your favorite techniques

where things begin to get complicated. you can split technique up into many different parts. there is the element of performance and mic technique, and the element of recording and production technique. knowing your song, knowing how to sing in the pocket, knowing how to energize a vocal performance is what separates, “the men from the boys.” That said, knowing how to not: have your levels too hot, and not slam the fuck with a compressor, or over eq everything so it sounds wacky is a whole other bag of tricks. my personal preference is to record a vocal dry, get a great performance, and if the mix calls for a little compression, I’d apply that, a little eq, and slap a verb on the send… I’m all for, “stupid simple,” vocal processing… but!! getting that, “great performance,” is the hard part, as it calls for a well set up vocal recording enviorment with the right mic, preamp, cords, audio card, etc… easier said than done imo.

<----- what programs do you use

I am growing a little tired of these autotuned, melodyned, v-vocal, variuadio things. I so wish to go back to yesterday when the, “cher effect,” did not exist, and Whitney Houston came to the studio and did, “a sexy, banging, awesome vocal.”

So what I am using on vocals is compression and reverb… perhaps some chorus on dubs and back tracks, maybe a little delay… stuff like that… that’s what turns me on…

<----- What equipment do you use

this is a huge question imo… 1st… you’ve got to have that room set up proper, either a booth, or a proper room. 2nd… different mics will work differently with different people, voices, and material. 3rd… you need a high end audio card at least, 4th… you want low noise cables and stuff like that. 5th… you want an array of different reverbs, and compressors, and eq’s, as everything is going to effect the sound differently… I’m a huge believer in, “every mix, is a new mix,” and rules that apply to the way you mixed your last track, do not apply to the way you shall mix the next one.

Cheap dynamic mic, singing single phrases at a time into the Renoise sampler, comping the best results. Compress and EQ to death, roll off lows, try not to point the mic at noisemakers.

I got into speech synths because I don’t find enough quiet time to sing, and my voice… lacks timbral variety.

Autoseek and sync to pattern when recording will save a lot of time when doing retakes. You can use a Line-In device to monitor fx while you record dry. And the “tip” that everyone has used at one stage, putting a hat or sock over the microphone to both act as a makeshift pop-filter and to eh… deaden the sound. ;)

It has it’s pros and cons. Did this track a long time ago, the mc recorded straight into renoise. Fun track :)
http://soundcloud.com/oxygenfad/a-few-fresh-veggies-2008

Or simply just sitting away a bit further from your microphone will do just fine. Just take care you don’t record the ambulance sirens running passed your house while doing a take :P