Redux and forthcoming Renoise (some feedback)

First of all , congrats to the developers team for adding some most requested features,

but there are some things that have changed and not for the better, assuming that renoise will inheret most ( if not all)

new features from redux .

Here comes some constructive feedback/critisism…

–Filters–

The new filters sound verry verry good , altough I am not really convinced by the overdrive parameter .

It sounds essentially almost the same on all filters , a saturation curve that is inserted post filter , increasing the output gain of the filter into the sat.stage , instead of increasing the input signal into the filter’s circuit .

It"s not really an emulation of an overdriven filter circuit .

Also see topic 'modulating overdrive , artifacts .

Anyway I am impressed how they behave and sound , esspecially at high resonance , lightyears ahead of the previous ones

-Why no oversampling mode for the instrument filters?..

-Why no filter pole selector in the instruments tab?

-The chebbyshev sounds fantastic …why not include it in the instruments filters tab ?

-Nice to have a comb filter in the instruments filter tab , keytracking to cut off is nice , but things get even more interesting when we have a gentle 6db lp inside the comb filter feedback loop , for damping high frquencies (the ouput needs to be tapped from the lp if we don’t want the high frequencies to appear at the comb’s final output ) …this opens up many possibilities, karplus strong stuff etc…

Again a missed chance…

----Renoise/redux …still not able to do tape echo/delay effects…variable delay time changes —

-The new chorus dsp has a maximum delay time of only 100 ms …the old renoise ( 3.01 ) chorus had 1000 ms…and had a nice smoothing algo, for delay changes/pitch…currently not possible anymore because of the decreased delay time …

I wouldn’t mind at all now that the chorus delay time is only 100ms , but the new multitap x-fade algo isn’t good at all

for pitch shift duties.

See included instrument

-About the new crossfade delay time in multitap/delay dsp

While the oldskool delay could do some basic pitch shift effects with of course some artifacts and the typical smoothing jump when changing a large amount of the delay time …(see included renoise instruments ), this currently isn’t possible anymore with the new x-fade algo in both delay devices …it’soundstt horrible and lo-fi

Why can’t we just have a high quality interpolation (like the one in the current redux chorus), …zipper free smoothing algoritm …for nice high Q pitch shift duties and variable delay time changes

Everythinhg is already there , filters inside the feedback loop , lfo’s/shape …amount (hydra) to control it , all we need is a good interpolation and a delay smoothing algo ( to get rid of zipper ) …again a missed chance

Screenshot from a reaktor core delay, 4 point interpolation algo , doesn’t look difficult at all.

-The new ring mod …

scaling is now in semitones (note slider ) , modulating this parameter gives audible stepping ( the inertia slider does not completely removes this side effect .)

While the transpose slider is stepping free , it only has a 2 octave range …too bad

-IN the old ring mod the lowest freq was 0,10 Hz , combined with the phase parameter we could do some weird panning effects , currently not possible anymore…please b RING :slight_smile: this back !!!

suggesions

-About the separate distortion effect

Please include a hyperbolic tangent function …tanh , and a drawable waveshaper (oversampling required )

-the diode filter can cause a lot of dc offset when there is resonance applied …

-pattern follow is a must !!!

I don’t notice the improvements in the convolver , there is still a big difference , please compare with this impulse response

And lastly …in the pattern editor there is the button called 'show/hide sample collumn 'which is verry confusing and took me a while to find out what it does .

It let’s you sequence a single sample across the whole keyrange without the need of mapping to the whole keyboard range.

I think a more appropriate name is welcome …something like pitched mode or so …

Let’s hope redux will sell like cupcakes because it’s a stellar program …can’t wait for the next renoise version

Are you sure about the filters?
Ive compared k35 filter with my monotron and its filter and ms20 vstu and i when i added some overdrive (in redux) it began to sound nearly same so i thought that it boosts filter characteristic and not just volume.

gentleclockdivider, sorry but your chosen font suxx.

Hm, the redux delay really doesn’t sound better on delay value change… No more pitching but you can clearly hear lot of strange sample freezing like effect. It only works well if you change the value without inertia (click).

EDIT: As far as I understood, you can still use the now legacy devices like the old ring mod. Is this correct?

gentleclockdivider, please have a look:

TFilter1Device

TFilter2Device

TFilter3Device

TReverb2Device

TShaperDevice

TStutterDevice

TCombDevice

TDistortionDevice

TGateDevice

TLofiDevice

TChorusDevice

TFlangerDevice

TPhaserDevice

TRingModDevice

TMidiCCDevice

TFormulaMetaDevice

TDelayDevice

TMultitapDevice

TReverb3Device

TReverbDevice

TConvolverDevice

TBusCompressorDevice

TCompressorDevice

TGate2Device

TMaximizerDevice

TAnalogFilterDevice

TDigitalFilterDevice

TComb2Device

TEq5Device

TEq10Device

TMixerEqDevice

TChorus2Device

TFlanger2Device

TPhaser2Device

TRingMod2Device

TLofi2Device

TFilterDistortionDevice

TDistortion2Device

TCabinetSimulatorDevice

TExciterDevice

TStereoExpanderDevice

TDcOffsetDevice

TGainerDevice

TRepeaterDevice

TDooferDevice

TLineInDevice

TRewireInDevice

TSendDevice

TCrossoverDevice

TInstrumentMacroDevice

TInstrumentAutomationDevice

TMidiControlDevice

THydraDevice

TMetaMixerDevice

TXYPadDevice

All devices in Redux, see esp.RingModDevice andRingMod2Device… I guess the second one is the new one, so you still can use all old stuff. Not so the delay device… IMHO it still needs improvements for fast delay changes. But for me, it is very good that it doesn’t pitch anymore, since I have some scenarios where I want to automate the delay values. Maybe the devs would be so kind and make the old delay available under “Delay1Device” or something?

Are you sure about the filters?
Ive compared k35 filter with my monotron and its filter and ms20 vstu and i when i added some overdrive (in redux) it began to sound nearly same so i thought that it boosts filter characteristic and not just volume.

Have you looked at an osciloscope how a saw wave looks like , when put through a sallen key ( ms 20 ) filter with resonance …?

The resonance peaks look and sound unique and don’t sound/look like the k35 filter .

Try this litlle fantastic freeware synthesizer .

http://www.blaukraut.info/

It’s 2 pole filter is based on the ms 20 ( sallen key )

Turn up the osilator volume (not all the way ) add a healty amount of resonance and look at the osciloscope …

Oh and the filters are ZDF too .