Redux automation

I beleive the answer is no but :

is there a way to automate effects inside Redux (using phrase editor or anithing else)?

I figured it’s mostly meant to be used with macro only (but I beleive we can’t manipulate macro inside redux, either).

I wanted to use the polyrythm capabilities of redux on its effects but it doesn’t seem possible.

Have I missed something ?

Thanks

You can achieve this through key-tracking. It basically involves two ingredients:

1. An empty sample that you use for controlling the effect from within a phrase.

2. A meta-device (key or velocity-tracker) that will pick up the notes from that particular sample and apply it to your effect.

So, if you created a phrase (easiest is to show sample columns, when using that special sample), the note or velocity of your special sample would control the effect.

And while that sample doesn’t need to be empty, it’s probably just a good idea. I personally like to be a bit organized with something “clever” as this.

Here’s a quick demonstration of the principle:

7333 Phrase Automation.xrni

If you want to automate parameters for modulation devices, this is possible too - although a bit of a hack:

https://forum.renoise.com/t/no-way-to-modulate-macros-and-fx-parameters/46921

You can achieve this through key-tracking. It basically involves two ingredients:

1. An empty sample that you use for controlling the effect from within a phrase.

2. A meta-device (key or velocity-tracker) that will pick up the notes from that particular sample and apply it to your effect.

So, if you created a phrase (easiest is to show sample columns, when using that special sample), the note or velocity of your special sample would control the effect.

And while that sample doesn’t need to be empty, it’s probably just a good idea. I personally like to be a bit organized with something “clever” as this.

Here’s a quick demonstration of the principle:

attachicon.gifPhrase Automation.xrni

If you want to automate parameters for modulation devices, this is possible too - although a bit of a hack:

https://forum.renoise.com/t/no-way-to-modulate-macros-and-fx-parameters/46921

Oh. That’s clever ! Thanks for the quick reply !

(Also, lil 2 cents : you might wanna consider splitting renoise and redux manual. As a renoise user I never had a problem with that, but I find it hard to dig out relevant info for redux in the middle of all the renoise stuff — But I know you’re a small team and all and I understand it’s not a priority )

Cheers !

I find it hard to dig out relevant info for redux in the middle of all the renoise stuff

We did make a quick-start exclusively for Redux, for this very reason :slight_smile:

But other than that, there are very few actual differences between the two, so I personally don’t believe it would be worth the effort to e.g. split up the wiki.

In fact, the only differences I can think of are:

• The additional ‘sync’ mode which lets Redux play synchronized to the host timeline.

• The hexagonal keyboard in Redux, providing visual feedback and making it more clear when the plugin captures keyboard presses.

• The ability for a Renoise instrument to host a plugin and send MIDI.

Other than that, they’re practically identical.

On a sidenote: I think a lot of people are not aware that the MIDI implementation for Redux also applies to Renoise instruments since 3.1? Controlling e.g. the key/scale is now possible through MIDI CCs.

Do not underestimate the laziness/dumbness of customers my friend :slight_smile:

On a more serious note, I’ve used Renoise for quite some time and it took me some serious diving into the manual to get exactly what Redux does and what it does not (the redux part never bothered me when searthing renoise info).

I mean, there’s no pattern, no graphical automation, no device commands (therefore no right-clicking)… and none of that is labelled “renoise only”. Even if it was it implies some unnecessary reading and sorting.

Just to make things clear: I now know my way around both software, it’s not for me. It’s just that redux —as a one-of-a-kind plugin— can be hard to understand, and I fear the tangled doc might drive people away (that, and the lack of videos).

But maybe you got different feedbacks I’m not aware of :slight_smile: