No way to modulate macros and FX parameters?

After hearing a lot of recommendations for Renoise and Redux I just took the plunge to try it out.

The software seems nice and what initially peaked my interest was the supposedly intricate modulation system, but I can’t really wrap my head around the modulation tab.

Is it really so that you can only modulate the Volume, Pan, Pitch and Filter parameters? I’d really like to modulate macros, hydras and other FX parameters with note-triggered ADSR envelopes and stuff, but for the life of me can’t find where to do that.

Help appreciated!

I found a workaround in the FX tab by making a Velocity Tracker that triggers the Reset of a custom Oneshot LFO, that modulates a Hydra input that you can route to other FX Parameters as you want. Seems to work the way I like but a bit of a hassle? :slight_smile:

You have the modulation tab that only consists of the vol, pan, pitch and filter, but you also have the option to add DSP chains to your instrument un the ‘Effects’ tab.

The difference between modulating the modulation tab options is that they are processed polyphonically, while the Effects tab DSP chains only processes monophonically.

I’m not shure if you meant that you want to modulate within the instrument or if you want to modulate it from the track DSP chain in the pattern editor. Both ways are possible.

If you want to modulate in the pattern editor you need to make macros of the parameters you want to modulate.

I guess the easiest thing would be to download a few instruments and see how they’re built.

Example:

Let’s say you have a sample loaded and you want to add a distortion to it and modulate it in the pattern editor.

You go to Effects and create DSP chain, put a distortion DSP in the chain.

Then you push the macros button and now 8 macros will show up.

Push the square button of a macro, a window opens and all the selectable parameters turn red (by default).

Now if you push the drive parameter of the distortion it’s added to the window

Then go to pattern editor and add an instance of ‘instrument macros’

Now you may automate the macro you just made which controls the distortion>drive.

The difference between modulating the modulation tab options is that they are processed polyphonically, while the Effects tab DSP chains only processes monophonically.

Yep, that would be the fundamental difference. Still, it’s a nice thing to be able to, say, control an effect device from within a phrase. Or control a modulation device with an LFO which is not retriggered on note-on.

All of this is possible, although the solution smells a bit like a hack (don’t worry, read on… :wink: ). It all boils down to having a Instr. Macro device inside the effects section. Although this type of device does not appear in Redux (which makes sense - it’s supposed to automate an instrument from the “outside”, i.e. the Renoise pattern editor), you can actually “smuggle” it in by loading a doofer preset which contains an instance.

Try with this one:

7040 InstrMacro.xrdp

To add it, first add a doofer device somewhere, and load this preset into it. Now, a Instr. Macro device should appear, which will allow you to modulate macros using effect meta devices.

Then go to pattern editor and add an instance of ‘instrument macros’

I understood everything but this - where exactly do you add an instrument macro column in the phrase editor?

Yep, that would be the fundamental difference. Still, it’s a nice thing to be able to, say, control an effect device from within a phrase. Or control a modulation device with an LFO which is not retriggered on note-on.

All of this is possible, although the solution smells a bit like a hack (don’t worry, read on… :wink: ). It all boils down to having a Instr. Macro device inside the effects section. Although this type of device does not appear in Redux (which makes sense - it’s supposed to automate an instrument from the “outside”, i.e. the Renoise pattern editor), you can actually “smuggle” it in by loading a doofer preset which contains an instance.

Try with this one:

attachicon.gifInstrMacro.xrdp

To add it, first add a doofer device somewhere, and load this preset into it. Now, a Instr. Macro device should appear, which will allow you to modulate macros using effect meta devices.

Thanks!!

Trying to import that preset it says:

“Failed to load a preset, was saved with an incompatible, more recent version of Redux.”

Checking for updates the plugin says that I have the most recent version (v1.01) (but I am using the demo version)

Eheh, oops. The existence of a newer version was revealed :ph34r:

Well, I fixed the download. It should load now (Doofer was saved from Renoise 3.0.1)

And I think TheBellows was referring to how you do things from within Renoise. You should be able to just use this preset standalone, in Redux.

I found a workaround in the FX tab by making a Velocity Tracker that triggers the Reset of a custom Oneshot LFO, that modulates a Hydra input that you can route to other FX Parameters as you want. Seems to work the way I like but a bit of a hassle? :slight_smile:

triggering the LFOs by empty samples + sample triggered Key Trackers then assigned them to Doofers are more effective IMO :slight_smile:

using this can have played note/sample etc. indepentend phrase automation

Ah, yes i assumed we were talking about Renoise. What i meant by loading instrument macros in the pattern editor i actually meant to say you should add it to the DSP chain of a track in the pattern editor. In Redux there is no such thing as a pattern editor (only a phrase editor), so it won’t apply there.