Redux: First impression with this is BAD, slicing a break

I wanted to try a tracker that works in Ableton, I find out Renoise is a thing… perfect.
I find out it has a demo… perfect. I don’t really need a tracker, but want to see if there are advantages to using it for myself.

First of all, there is an amazing lack of tutorials on redux… I can’t even find a manual, only a “quick start guide” otherwise everything is about Renoise… okay, so MAYBE there is so much overlap it isn’t necessary.
Okay well here’s the coup de grace…

After about an hour of just trying to slice up my first break and just TRYING to maybe make a 4 on the floor or basic kick snare pattern out of a break to get started I come across what I see as inexcusable.
I WANT “beatsync” on… 64 (64 IDK what… samples per sample?) seems to work well… the sample pitch shifts and plays nice when I have the 64 set… I turn off the “1>” button so each slice will play through…

Then I slice the break and everything goes downhill… Every slice is now NOT beatsynced, and NOT 64, only 16… so i would have to edit EVERY slice to get it to beatsync and be 64 so it will ACTUALLY sync to the master clock in my DAW? NOT good… again… good thing I demoed this…

If I just use a raw break… I could have cut it up in 100 different ways in the time this has taken me, with warp on from the jump all samples would warp to match the beat. What is the advantage of this software supposed to be again? The rolls? I can make a roll 1,000 different ways in ableton… this has, what, ONE roll command?

I’m off to analyze what this commands can do… but if this thing can’t KEEP beatsync for all slices made what is the point?

Beat sync doesn’t work like how you describe the workflow above.

For example if you have a 1 bar break in redux;

1. set the correct beatsync setting for it (dunno how this translates to ableton, but in Renoise on a bpm of 162 and a LPB setting of 4 it would be 16 and the 1 bar break would be in jungle territory).

2. Now hit the T icon next to it which will automatically adjust the transpose and finetune in the sample property settings to represent the beatsync value according to the bpm.

3. If you now auto-slice the break, all slices will have the correct transpose and finetune settings. (you can now turn off beatsync if necessary).

The order of actions described above is important, if you didn’t press T, but have hit auto slice, only the beatsynced sample will be synced and the slices will be out of sync / tune.

There are also timestretch methods next to the standard repitch mode in which it might be easier to finetune the pitch to your liking.

Redux is basically a stripped out version of Renoise’s sample/instrument editor, so if you can find tutorials on Renoise sample/instrument editor, they’ll also apply.

1 Like