Redux: lacking MIDI out

Hi,

I’m new to trackers and testing Renoise and Redux. So far so good.

Redux is a great sampler and I seriously consider buying, but one thing holds me back.

Why doesn’t have it MIDI out?

Every step-sequencer plugin has a MIDI out as far as I’m aware of.
It seems I can Redux only use with samples and integrated instruments. With a MIDI out, (or more of them), you could use it with any VST plugin / software / hardware / instrument.

With one extra feature, you could do so much more with Redux.

9 Likes

Bump! Midi out from Redux would be so awesome! I came back to using Renoise after 4 or 5 years and I’m definitely getting Redux too, but it would be fantastic to use phrases to write melodies and have Redux trigger instruments in host DAW. For some reason I feel much more comfortable writing melodies in tracker interface, as I’m faster and more adventurous than on a piano roll, so that feature would be a dream come true!

6 Likes

I’ve been dreaming about that feature as well! I grew up writing music in trackers. Redux midi out would be amazing. It would bring the Renoise environment to so many more people!

2 Likes

They “simply” could put in back the whole VSTi/VST support of Renoise, since Redux exactly is Renoise’s instrument editor. Then all would make much more sense (at least to me :smile:). I think they only are afraid of support issues which might arise (due problems ins third party plugins, which is pretty good point). So they could add VST with some “hidden” config switch, saying that it is not officially supported and not advertised either.

Oh wait, currently no VSTi support within instrument layer (it is outside instrument layer in Renoise). So this idea would go hand in hand with my feature request here:

No, that’s not my request and isn’t what I want. Midi out gives me much more flexibility then plugin support.

2 Likes

i haven’t read any responses from the devs as to why MIDI out wasn’t a feature that was included for the first version of the plugin. i have a hard time believing they don’t think it’s worthwhile, considering it’d be the only tool outside of reViSiT that would be able to function as a midi sequencing plugin. the overall value of it would increase vastly, and get even more people into the tracking paradigm.

it could function basically like the MIDI section of renoise’s instrument editor does, just push out notes, CCs, and maybe some new commands to increase functionality.

1 Like

MIDI out from Redux would indeed be amazing, would love for it to be implemented somehow!

3 Likes

there should just be a setting to make note, velocity, and midi channel data be output via the phrase editor.

Registered just to say I downloaded the demo thinking I would be able to run MIDI out into my hardware from Redux as a VST inside Ableton and was prepared to buy it just for this purpose. It doesn’t do it though eh…

Yeah, Renoise as VST inside another DAW, that’s what I really miss. The Renoise pattern editor inside Bitwig.

2 Likes

It would be amazing!!!

1 Like

I fully agree!

1 Like

THought we had a thread on this already, but +1 to it again here.

1 Like

Would love to see MIDI out from Redux.

1 Like

Bump.

Only reason holding me back from purchasing Redux is the lack of MIDI outs.

2 Likes

I would buy redux again if they add MIDI out lol

4 Likes

Never gonna give you up.

PS: taktik I’ll be your personal buttler for a year if you implement MIDI-outs on Redux. I’ll do the laundry and dishes, drive you around, trim your garden, serve cocktails, etc. DM me if interested. As a bonus, I’ll bring a box full of brazilian bananas and guavas.

3 Likes

I’m joining the queue. I didn’t buy Redux or even try it because I use Renoise as my main daw, so Redux is useless in this sense, it would be like using Renoise inside Renoise, but for some time I’ve been wanting to use Redux in FL and I took it for granted that it had a midi output, reading these things stops me from buying Redux.

My main goal is to use Redux inside Reaper, as it’s my favorite DAW aside from Renoise (which I already own).

If Redux had MIDI outs, I could use VST synths with excellent performance in Reaper… It would solve pretty much all the problems I currently have with Renoise regarding CPU usage.

1 Like

Have you tried Hackey Trackey for Reaper? I keep meaning to.

2 Likes