Redux loads really slow

Hi,

first of all I have too say sorry for my bad English :slight_smile:

I’m a big fan of Renoise but I have got a problem with Redux at the moment.

I have got a lot of instruments made with Renoise and when I use Redux in Reaper it takes longer to load the instruments into Redux than it takes to load them into Renoise (I got to say they are sometimes huge instruments with lots of samples and layers)

The most annoying thing is when I got redux on a track in Reaper and just close the Gui of Redux it freezes Reaper for a few seconds … really really annoying … I dont know whats happening there. Maybe something is saved to hdd in the background.

I tried in Tracktion T7 and got the same problem. (Windows 8.1 btw)

As I said I really love Renoise and want to use Redux as my main sampler but this problem I mentioned makes it impossible to work with it.

no one ? really ?

So there must be another problem with my system…

Or I’ll try another sampler and look how it’ll work with my DAW.

I got to say they are sometimes huge instruments with lots of samples

Exactly how big are we talking? How many megabytes?

I’ve got a Acoustic Drumkit Instruments that’s about 50 MB. Not that huge in compare to some Kontakt libraries :slight_smile:

I tested again.

In Tracktion there was this option of AutoSaving. I disabled that and now there’s no problem during recording.

But when I save the project manually then again it takes minutes (!!) to do (when I have multiple instances of Redux with some bigger instruments).

That’s really disturbing. Is there a way to not save the instruments in Redux when the project in the host is saved ? Or could I save the instruments in a way, that just the XML file is saved without samples (I’m sure a feature like that was requested a few times before…) ?

I really want to use Redux for my acoustic drums and multisampled pianos, because Redux is less cpu hungry than my VSTs for that and I love this beautiful sampler :slight_smile: But this saving-times … dammit !!

Ok, I got it.

Renoise and Redux are not made for large multi-sampled instruments.

Ok, I got it. Renoise and Redux are not made for large multi-sampled instruments.

Since all of the samples are saved inside the XRNI instrument, and they are usually also compressed to .flac to save on space, larger multi-sampled instruments can indeed be a problem sometimes during the loading and saving process. Of course, a 50MB drum kit is not that huge, but stacking multiple instances of Redux with other similarly sized instruments could become a bit intensive to handle. Other factors like your CPU speed, hard disk speed (and defrag state), and so on, will obviously have a knock-on effect here as well.

Is there a way to not save the instruments in Redux when the project in the host is saved ?

Redux (and any VST plugin in general) does not really know exactly what the host is doing on that level — it simply gets a request to load/save a preset at some point in time. Whether this happens during auto-save or when manually saving the project, Redux is not really aware of the intention.

You mentioned that disabling auto-save in Tracktion helped a lot. You should also check for similar settings in Reaper. For instance, Reaper has some options for how to handle undo states with plugins. One of the options there (which used to be on by default, but I’m not sure if that’s still true) will cause the entire plugin state to be saved very often, when simply tweaking parameters and things like that, which can be a huge pain in the ass for certain larger plugins.

Or could I save the instruments in a way, that just the XML file is saved without samples (I’m sure a feature like that was requested a few times before…) ?

It’s not currently possible, but this feature has indeed been requested a few times.

Sorry to hear that Redux is not really working out for you in this situation anyway. If it’s possible for you to share some of your problematic XRNI instruments with us, we’ll of course try to do some testing of our own. You can upload to DropBox or something similar and then PM me the link, or send it to support (at) renoise (dot) com