Redux - Midi questions

I’m looking to purchase Redux.

I’m a longtime Renoise user (since version 1.x).

I tried the demo and it’s really great!

but it’s missing a feature which I thought would be included - using Redux as a midi sequencer (to be the midi input for another channel)

so I can write down melodies using Redux and have them play an instrument on another channel in the DAW.

Is it possible with the current version? is it even planned?

1 Like

Is it possible with the current version? is it even planned?

No, Redux doesn’t output MIDI at the moment.

Main reason being that you can do so much more in a phrase when you are working with samples - things that are simply not possible with MIDI.

While I believe it’s not a planned feature, I could see it being useful in some ways. And other people agree, too.

But it would need careful consideration - might become a “different sequencer” altogether.

Really! I thought I’ll be able to use the phrases feature for midi sequencing inside different DAWs. This could’ve been a powerful feature.

I’ll try ReVisit for that purpose (never tried it) - are there any other alternatives? to “track” inside a different DAW?

See alsohttps://forum.renoise.com/t/redux-features/43826

just out of curiousity, danoise:

what are the things you are thinking of that can be done in phrases with samples that are not possible with MIDI?

(other than the very obvious)?

what are the things you are thinking of that can be done in phrases with samples that are not possible with MIDI?

(other than the very obvious)?

Obvious ones, I guess, are the ones that offer direct sample manipulation. Reverse playback, sample offset, etc.

This is of course not possible with MIDI, and probably never will be.

Less obvious ones are the ability to control aspects such as pitch or panning on a per-voice level. This is something we take for granted in a tracker, but it’s quite complicated to achieve in the MIDI world.

Possible approaches would require either channel-per-note, which isn’t really supported in many DAWs, or a full VST note expression implementation - part of the VST3+ specification but also not widely supported.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I also appreciate the devs chiming in here!

now I fully understand the implications of such midi capabilities and this is true, implementing this would mean one doesn’t need any of the sampling features of Redux.

maybe for the future it will be possible to have a midi “mode” inside Redux which will disable the sampling feature and will give you midi outs.

maybe another plugin, a ReSequence or something of sort :wink:

but IMHO, it would be better to implement this in Redux and not in a new plugin.

Whatever you decide, I’m a supporter!

it would be better to implement this in Redux and not in a new plugin.

I agree with this.

After all, the primary reason you’d want to use Redux to control another plugin is, that you have programmed a set phrases that does some cool stuff.

So, another plugin (ReSequence ^_^) wouldn’t really cut it - what would you do then, recreate the phrase twice, once for ReSeq and another time for ReDux?

Nope, you’d want to have ONE source that could control a number of targets.

Daw>virtual midi port>renoise phrase>virtual midi port>daw

Isreally not as ugly as people are afraid it is. Takes30 seconds to set up. Save it as xrni, save the tracks in the daw’s template and you never have to set itup again :stuck_out_tongue:

Click to view contents

I’m going to be preaching this until everyone thinks it’s ok. :c

The thing is, if I wanted to mess with samples etc I would just use Renoise because I use trackers in a way that fit a linear song structure. I think the draw of redux to me would to be to program some chords on different keys or an arp and pipe the MIDI routing to say, the external instrument in live to take advantage of the auto-transpose function during songwriting and be able to use hardware latency compensation properly in the host DAW to sync hardware and software (including Renoise itself). The phrases really do make a great improv tool, almost like when I had a Yamaha Motif ages ago but more fine grained. There is also kind of a lack of auto-transposing phrase sequencers in plugin form. I don’t even really care about CCs or any of that just note output is fine with me, because I can throw together a max for live midi device patch in about 3 minutes for that.

If I had that, you would have a sale in about 5 seconds. lol.

Daw>virtual midi port>renoise phrase>virtual midi port>daw

Isreally not as ugly as people are afraid it is. Takes30 seconds to set up. Save it as xrni, save the tracks in the daw’s template and you never have to set itup again :stuck_out_tongue:

]I’m going to be preaching this until everyone thinks it’s ok. :c

Thanks for preaching this :D, as it proves there is something to be gained out of using phrases as MIDI sources. If MIDI out functionality wasn’t useful in Redux, this ^ recommendation to use the phrases in Renoise wouldn’t make sense either.

The fact that Redux is centered around samples isn’t that strong justification for excluding MIDI output, for this very same reason. People use phrases in Renoise to play synth plugins and even send MIDI outside the application, so there are clearly uses for it. Having it in plugin form has its allure, and in the end, it’s about making Redux a stronger product (instead of just going “use the non-plugin version instead”).

The main focus of Redux is sampling, but that’s not an actual reason why it couldn’t have this as an additional feature. Hell, even Kontakt sends out MIDI. Like in Kontakt’s case, it isn’t supposed to be a headline feature turning it into a MIDI sequencer. Even with its idiosyncracies, in the state it’s now, without stripping it of any sampling features or creating a super duper new “mode” for MIDI functionality, it would just make many experimenters very happy.

Nokatus: it’s either this or audio routing in renoise we can’t have (want :p) both at the same time :c, let’s be real,

the better question is will you buy redux when the renoise demo can do that at a better degree and has tools and

Click to view contents

redux is 10 euro cheaper than renoise :c

renoise is the direct upgrade path from redux

we can’t have (want :P) both at the same time :c, let’s be real

Why? Even in, say, the next couple of years?

I’d be also super happy to see Redux outputing MIDI !

Me too. I love both - Renoise and Redux. That’s why I purchased both licenses. And still happy with my decision.

Programming notes without using the mouse or a space consuming midi keyboard is what I am missing in most other DAWs.

If your wrist begins to hurt from too many mouse clicks in an unnatural posture over the years, it could be a real pain relief to have such an “input device” for entering midi notes, that I could just record with a piano roll in my second DAW, which is preferably Sensomusic’s Usine (sometimes Reaper). Reaper has such a virtual midi keyboard, but I think you cannot compare it to the great usability that is provided by Renoise and Redux, when it comes to entering chords, pattern shortcuts, etc.

It would be a nice gimmick. Nevertheless I understand and accept that Redux follows another philosophy. :slight_smile: