Released my first VST3 plugin / beta testers needed

Windows 10 Home
22H2

Thanks.

Sorry to bug you again, but do you also happen to know if you run an AVX2-enabled CPU? If not, I should turn the compiler settings down a notch. You could check using a tool such as this: https://www.hwinfo.com/.

I checked with CPU-Z and AVX2 instructions are supported here.

Obviously not what I wanted to hear :rofl: but thanks again.

1 Like

It will be most likely something with memory allocation/deallocation. Can you even replicate this? What does the Renoise log file say? What about running the debugger?

Cannot reproduce, unfortunately. Out of the dozen or so users that tested it, Djeroek has it crashing on Renoise, one person has it unable to load in any host at all, and 1 person is running win7 so i’m gonna write that up to a not-installed-msvc-redistributable thing (although i should provide statically linked versions too for older windows versions). Everywhere else it seems to run just fine. Renoise, bitwig, reaper, fruity, ableton at least. As usual the real fun is that I can test all those hosts locally without problems. Release builds, debug builds. VST3 built-in plugin validator no problems. This GitHub - Tracktion/pluginval: Cross platform plugin testing and validation tool really nice stress test suite, also no problems. I’m at a loss, tbh.

1 Like

@Djeroek I’m really out of ideas here. In theory you have the perfect setup, newest software, up-to-date hardware, everything. I totally get that I’m basically asking random strangers on the internet for some of their free time, so if you’re done with it, i get that.

If not, could your perhaps run the plugin (preferably the debug version of it https://sjoerdvankreel.github.io/infernal-synth/dist/infernal-synth-1.1-debug.zip) through this validation tool GitHub - Tracktion/pluginval: Cross platform plugin testing and validation tool with the strictness level cranked up to max? It should spit out all that’s wrong with the plugin on the console output tab.

sorry man, really no time here right now, but will check somewhere this week. Perhaps someone else with windows 10 can try?

1 Like

NP, thanks for the effort so far. As far as I know you’re the only one on win10 having these issues.

Tried the debug version and this doesn’t throw up the error I previously got, though still wont show a gui / wont initialize. From the Renoise log;

"Vst3Plugs: Instantiating: C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\InfernalSynth.vst3\Contents\x86_64-win\InfernalSynth.vst3…
Vst3Plugs: Failed to load module: LoadLibray failed.

Audio Plugins: Failed to open plug VST3: FBFCEDA8782047CEA12E8A8C8C3407E9

Exception: Failed to initialize the plugin ‘VST3: Infernal: InfernalSynth Generic’.

Error Message: Failed to initialize the plugin ‘VST3: Infernal: InfernalSynth Generic’.

Vst3Plugs: Instantiating: C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\InfernalSynthFX.vst3\Contents\x86_64-win\InfernalSynthFX.vst3…
Vst3Plugs: Failed to load module: LoadLibray failed.

Audio Plugins: Failed to open plug VST3: 00AE86BB62E6495BBB947F2F7D98CC1A

Exception: Failed to initialize the plugin ‘VST3: Infernal: InfernalSynth FX Generic’.

Error Message: Failed to initialize the plugin ‘VST3: Infernal: InfernalSynth FX Generic’.

Application: Exit…
"

I’m at a loss here, really. Hate to see it’s not working for you. The only thing I can think of is delete all SevenSynth/InfernalSynth files, completely delete renoise’s VST cache and try again. But I bet you already tried that. Barring that, I got nothing. Will check back here if I find something that I think might be related.

1 Like

Can’t think of anything else, in general don’t have many issues using plugins. In the error it says failed to load a module named ‘loadlibray’, is this a typo? Should it be loadlibrary?

Definately a typo. LoadLibrary failed generally indicates one of 2 things, 1) the plugin failed to initialize (i.e. crashed in the actual plugin code) or 2) some dependencies of the plugin could not be loaded. Obviously 1) is a fault on my end (and probably so), but since the thing’s going on fine for users on a very similar setup as yours, I’m gonna be hard-pressed to find it. Or 2), this could mean you need to install this https://aka.ms/vs/17/release/vc_redist.x64.exe, but that’s very unlikely as you’re on a recent windows version.

@stoiximan , everyone: Been thinking about how to re-layout the UI, couple of prototypes over here: https://sjoerdvankreel.github.io/infernal-proto/. Any feedback appreciated, be it “pick option #N” or mix-and-match.

Hello,
I probably won’t be much help because:
I like the gui as it is.
It has its own style and that’s how it should be.
Theme gui excellent.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s good to hear, too. Now to be honest it’s unlikely for me to change the product theme, because infernal basically implies dark and creepy. And I like that, too. If I were to go with something completely different I’d have to rename the project, set up a new github repo, new website etc etc. That’s not going to happen anytime soon. I do think people calling the thing “crowded” have a valid point, so that’s something I want to fix. So, vnext will still have the dark theme, but a changed layout that makes the thing a bit more user-friendly. Still contemplating how that will look like, though.

@stoiximan it’s been a while. No new version yet but i thought i’d just drop a preview of work-in-progress here. Any feedback welcome.

1 Like