Released my first VST3 plugin / beta testers needed

Hi all!

Just released my first plugin, and since I’m mostly a Renoise user, and all of the demo material is in Renoise format, I thought I’d post it here. I’d be very grateful if anyone of you would be willing to test the plugin, just let me know all the wrinkles I’d have to fix. The project’s over here: SevenSynth - An open source VST3 synthesizer and effect plugin. Just to get an idea of what it can do, the demo track is made using only Renoise and this plugin, no external stuff required: seven/demo_track.mp3 at master · sjoerdvankreel/seven · GitHub or https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sjoerdvankreel/seven/master/render/demo_track.mp3.
I hope you’ll find it useful.

-regards, Sjoerd

7 Likes

I’m a software guy beside the music. Finding bugs is where I thrive on :stuck_out_tongue: Would like to test.

1 Like

Great, thanks! There’s regular and debug binaries on the project website, let me know if you need anything else. I’m off on a holiday for a couple weeks so i won’t be doing any bugfixing during that time, but i’ll try to answer any questions you may have. And if you find anything you can just open a github issue for it. Thanks again!

Loaded the demo tracks so far so good, no hiccups, good sound, cpu usage below 10% and very fast loading/unloading the gui.Now when i load the synth in a new project i have no sound even when all the osc are on ,what am i doing wrong?The gui is not bad but it feels like i am clicking on an ice surface, not very natural, it does not invite me to tweak it.The output/cpu tab is that so useful? If not i would get rid of it you have already too much going on in the panel.Thats all for now but you have done a remarkable job so far my friend

1 Like

No sound is probably because of audio routing. Select osc 1 to voice in audio a, then voice to master in audio b. Probably should make that the default in instrument mode. Alternatively right click on some empty space like a graph, then select load preset>init instrument. Agreed id better drop the cpu details, but i like the clipping indicator and voice counter. Thing is, adding and removing stuff like that usually needs a bit of a ui overhaul to keep things nicely aligned etc.

1 Like

Hey again! I’m in the process of wrapping up V1.1 and took your advice to heart. The default patch now actually produces sound showing off most of the plug’s capabilities and output tab is heavily reduced. Also did some more sensible factory presets. I’ve done some UI rework but nothing fundamental so I can’t speak as to wether that’d solve your “ice surface” feeling :). Project has been moved to InfernalSynth - An open source VST3 synthesizer and effect plugin because of too many name clashes on “SevenSynth”. The new version is unfortunately not 100% backwards compatible, but really close. But, be aware of this: Saved automation data does not respect VST3's parameter id. If you’re still interested I’d really appreciate if you would give it another try.

-Sjoerd

1 Like

I downloaded it played with it a bit all seems good but the gui still kills my interest in it especially the background.I would have prefered a solid color background instead of this and the buttons are way too small to comfortably use with a mouse.Anyway that’s just me others might not have these problems.The sound is good so make a bunch of good presets because most of us dont bother making our own presets, we just want good sounding synths with good sounding presets.Keep up the good work and whenever you have a new version feel free to share it here.

1 Like

Hey again! Agree with you on the “small knobs” point, I’m thinking about making it a tabbed UI, for example voice and global sections on separate screens. Should give me some more headroom UI-wise, as I gotta get the extra screen space from somewhere if I’d increase the knob size. I do like the background images just to get some connection to the product name/theme but I can envision them being a bit less prominent. Maybe something like only use them as background for the graphs, then make the rest of it solid color. Could even be a nice way of differentiating different modules within the plugin by playing with the background color a bit. Any suggestions are welcome, right now I’m mostly looking to stabilize the UI side of it before diving into new dsp stuff. Anyway, thanks again for your time, and I intent to post some updates here every now and then.

1 Like

Great idea and for the color -background just look at the best vst synths out there and you will know what to do.

1 Like

Ha! I’d consider those to be Vital and Serum, UI-wise. Never used any of them (or any plugin at all for that matter, always used a Renoise+Reason slave setup). I don’t have the illusion of creating that sort of UI in my spare time, but I guess I could take some inspiration from there.

1 Like

I bet you can do even better,just take your time .

We’ll see. For the time being, it appears you’re in the right and I have bad taste: https://audiosex.pro/threads/sjoerdvankreel-infernalsynth-was-anyone-able-to-get-this-to-work.69579/ :rofl:

1 Like

after installing in Renoise after first boot I immediately get;

"Ouch. The VST3 plugin ‘Infernal: InfernalSynth Generic (from Infernal)’ crashed in event, function or class: ‘IPluginView’, Thread: ‘GUI’

IMPORTANT: This is a fatal error. Please save the current document under a !new! name to prevent losing important data. Renoise will silently ignore any following errors from this plug-in.

DO NOT IGNORE THIS ERROR; DO NOT CONTINUE USING THE PLUGIN. THIS CAN DESTROY YOUR SONG OR CAUSE OTHER RANDOM CRASHES AND PROBLEMS!

It’s most likely that this is a bug in the VST3 plugin, so please also report this problem to the authors of this plugin in order to get the problem fixed!"

Pressing away the error, the gui shows up tiny like;

For what it is worth I set the scaling to 125% in Renoise and use a resolution of 3840X1080 in windows.

Hey! Tried out the dpi scaling but I don’t seem to have any problems with it. What windows and what renoise version is this?

windows 10 & latest Renoise.

Should be fully supported, but you’re not the first one to have troubles with it. Just found and fixed 1 major bug, see here https://sjoerdvankreel.github.io/infernal-synth/dist/infernal-synth-1.1.1-0bpmfix.zip for new binaries. Would you care to give it a try? You want the release/infernalsynth folder in there, if that still doesn’t work, the debug/infernalsynth version also won’t work but if lucky it will provide some more info.

What about a Mac build?

Unfortunately no, I just don’t have the hardware to test on.

exactly the same issue with the 1.1.1 version;

"Ouch. The VST3 plugin ‘Infernal: InfernalSynth 1.1.1 (from Infernal)’ crashed in event, function or class: ‘IPluginView’, Thread: ‘GUI’

IMPORTANT: This is a fatal error. Please save the current document under a !new! name to prevent losing important data. Renoise will silently ignore any following errors from this plug-in.

DO NOT IGNORE THIS ERROR; DO NOT CONTINUE USING THE PLUGIN. THIS CAN DESTROY YOUR SONG OR CAUSE OTHER RANDOM CRASHES AND PROBLEMS!

It’s most likely that this is a bug in the VST3 plugin, so please also report this problem to the authors of this plugin in order to get the problem fixed!"

I’ll wait a few more versions and try again later on.

Sure, thanks for trying it out. Quick question though, could you specify exactly which windows version you’re using? (Start>Settings>System>Info/About, windows specs, version and build number)