Render issue - Renders out audio file but no sound

When i render out the song i get an audio file but there is no sound as if it is muted or something. I produced an orchestral piece and rendered out a WIP which worked fine but when i went to render out the final result the aforementioned issue occurred. I assume it is a setting which i have changed without knowing, any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance. :)

Hi Mickey, thanks for your description.
A description alone doesn’t help us enough yet here, so here are some more questions to secure or exclude certain situation:

Does the output file supply any graphical image when you load it back into the Renoise sampler or you get a flatlined output?
What plugins do you use?
How is the plugin routing arranged?
Are there specific tracks or channels muted?
Do you use virtual midi cables to link more instruments to one?
What are your system specs? Audiocard and do you use ASIO?

Ok so can’t answer all of your questions because i don’t know about them but i will try my best.

Does the output file supply any graphical image when you load it back into the Renoise sampler or you get a flatlined output?
Flatlined output.

What plugins do you use?
Only Kontakt with these, http://sso.mattiaswestlund.net/, samples.

How is the plugin routing arranged?
I have no clue…don’t really know what it means.

Are there specific tracks or channels muted?
No tacks or channels are muted.

Do you use virtual midi cables to link more instruments to one?
Not that i know of.

What are your system specs? Audiocard and do you use ASIO?
I am using a 2006 macbook running OS 10.6.8. I am not currently using ASIO (i assume i should be?) and i dont know about the Audiocard.

Mac uses CoreAudio, it doesn’t have ASIO.

Okay, the reason i ask these questions is because plugins route their streams to the specific track they are triggered in (the track where the notes are triggering the instrument).
If you use Kontakt and multiple presets, make sure that if you divide your notes for each preset across multiple tracks, you also have the routing done according to where these notes are triggering the preset.
Read this:
http://tutorials.ren…bral_plugins.29
And then this:
http://tutorials.ren…#Plugin_Routing

If you don’t setup the audio routing, then the plugin will just release one stream of audio and it will be directed towards the track where it is called the first time (including the streams generated by the other preset instruments).
Though this sounds the least plausible situation as you get audio and have nothing muted, i still mention it because you mention not knowing about audiorouting which is pretty important with multitimbral plugins like Kontakt.

Another thing you could check is the rendering frequency setting of Renoise and whether the plugin supports it. You may be able to set Renoise to render e.g. 96Khz, this however doesn’t mean that the plugin supports that. If all fails, try setting your render frequency to 44Khz and 16 bit first, go up from there if the basic works.
If you really need a reference whether this is a plugin problem or Renoise, load any of the default internal instruments that comes with Renoise in its default library, add a track with notes in it and see if the internal instrument gets rendered.

Flatlined output usually means something is wrong with the routed stream or limited supported frequency/bitrate of the plugin.

In the worst case it is piracy protection but i’m not assuming that, though if people are using pirated copies of either plugin or Renoise, they shouldn’t expect any possibility to improve without getting an authentic copy of the original software.

Sorry if I haven’t fully understood this, but are you saying that for every instance of kontakt I should have 1 track and that I shouldn’t mix them up?

You can mix up whatever you like if you use multiple instances of Kontakt.
However, the problem rises when you only use one instance of kontakt and you want to use that across different tracks.

You don’t necessarily need more instances of kontakt, unless you run out of midi channels. Memory efficiency works like this:
You can load 16 presets per Kontakt instance, you create 15 alias instruments off of that one kontakt instance. (saves more memory than loading 16 full instances of kontakt)
You also need 16 audio streams to route to their designated streams, or don’t use more than an amount of e.g. 4 instruments simultaneously if the plugin only shares 4 separate streams.
Some plugins have a fixed amount of streams, with some plugins you can define how many audio outputs it should supply to their host. (this requires unloading the plugin and then reloading it)

Here is one of the old tutorial pages i used to maintain in the past that explains the routing of plugin streams in Renoise in more detail:
http://www.vincentvo…se.AudioRouting

They have been left out in the newer documentation pages (and i’m not allowed to add them to the documentation pages) but i often still have to supply this link because it does show the limitations of audio stream processing with VST plugins in a more visual way.

With effect plugins you can’t do much trickery:they are either put on the rack underneath one track or another or you simply have another instance on another track. Instruments however can be used on multiple tracks and regarding separate processing by each track its DSP chain, this doesn’t matter for internal instruments because Renoise generates an audiostream from the instrument for that track on the fly, whereas for VST Instruments, Renoise only gets one or a few predefined streams to process and it can’t simply split the contents of those streams simply because Renoise doesn’t know what the content of those streams consist of.