Render-to-sample = Db Cut

What’s the point of this “feature”? I mean, I usually try to set up my VST-instruments / effect chains to sound a certain way, but when you are to render a selection you have to either temporarily add gainers / boost the overall volume, or boost the volume of the resulting sample.

Why not simply make it render what you hear in the first place? In my opinion, that’s what render implies…

I must’ve been implemented to avoid clipping. It was discussed earlier but I couldn’t find the thread.

Just seems strange. And sometimes clipping is what you desire…

Not even if I say please? :P

In all seriousness though, I render a VST to a sample in order to be able to chop up the sound, apply pattern commands and maybe save some CPU power.

In the end, I find it very hyperbolic to have to readjust my master/track volume every time I decide to render or re-render. I understand it may be beneficial to have this cut when rendering the complete song but when it comes to samplejobs it just hampers the work flow.

I agree.
Had the same question mark myself.

When rendering, the result is not the same volume wise. I usually find myself normalizing it in the sample editor, but I dont like this solution.

I wondered about this too. Is the volume cut by a specific known amount so that you could account for it before rendering?

apply +6db in the sample editor and it will be the same volume as before the render

(or was it… +3db ? … )

It is indeed +6dB. It goes down because of two -3dB steps: one on the post fader, and one on the master.

Yup. I think this dB cut is not good for the usability of the render feature.

Haven’t been using it at all because of this.

It was annoying at first, because I wasn’t aware where the cut was made

But whenever I render now, it’s become an auto procedure to “add 6.041 with option to cut” at sample properties

What about - and this might belong in the suggestions thread - implementing a feature in the preferences pane, something like this:

Render to sample db cut

1. none
  2. -3db
  3. -6db

Better yet, just make it a volume fader/slider, allowing you to choose any value you wish all the way up to 0dB/none.