Rendering Feature

Would be great if when rendering you could choose sections or patterns that you wanted to render, rather than having to either:

a.) Render the entire song and chop it up after the fact
b.) Make changes to the pattern order strictly for the purpose of rendering

Would allow for some creative uses of rendered segments for sure! Would this be exceedingly difficult to do?

What`s the problem of B) it takes only a minute to select the right pattern ?!

Perhaps it may be possible to develop a routin for patternwise bouncing - but all other things are hard to imagine.

With a mixer view, like the one in Samplitude, or Logic or whatever, you could have a render or bounce feature for each track, master, etc, and then have an option for each, like “from row X in pattern A, to row X in pattern B”.
You could specify which tracks would be included with toggles, and then press a few different buttons to render marked tracks to one file, to seperate files, from the first row X to row X of the last, from the absolute beginning to the last row X, from the first row X to the absolute end, or just, like now, from beginning to end.
What happened to the channel/track freeze discussion?

Not sure what you meant… am I missing something? Is there actually a way to export just one pattern, and I’m stupid? Hope so.

take your pattern to the first position and add a stop-pattern-command in the last line … :D

we diskussed something like this some times ago (render single tracks, pattern, rows, instruments or whatever) … but in my opinion … not all of the ideas were really needed … it’s good to work with columns that i can mute and it’s totally enough for me to render the whole single tracks - i don’t mix my final songs in renoise …

i think with a new sequencer/arranger and piano-roll maybe something will be changed also in rendering …

it’s not exactly like the other editors, cos renoise has to calculate sample data before the point ‘row X in pattern A’. you might have other samples playing before that, and you have to take that into the mix. if not, you won’t get a proper render. so it makes sense to start from the beginning, though… at least for now :)

Yeah. That’s actually the thing that’s bugged me the most about Renoise, or trackers in general, that you can’t start from any row and hear the current audio.
But since alot of other apps treat samples like that, I guess it’s possible, atleast when the arranger, recording function, etc appears, somewhere down the line.

I recall that we’ve discussed this before, both for samples and VSTi’s, but I think it’s kinda important.

Will other editors actually do that properly?

Like say I have this sort of Data

C-4 ← 1st Measure

— ← 2nd Measure

off

If I start playing at the beginning of the second measure in, say, Logic or Cubase, will it actually start playing that VSTi properly? That seems like it would be quite difficult to do for anything but a sample.

And, even if it could do that, suppose I had this:

C-4 ← 1st Measure

off
— ← 2nd Measure

If I again start at the second measure but the instrument has a reverb on it, will it actually play the reverbed part when I start?

I don’t think there’s any app that can do this with VSTi’s.
But to have it with samples, along with a native freeze function in Renoise, would solve the problem.

An alternative, that I don’t think sounds very realistic, would be for Renoise to prerender the entire pattern (or a segment that was shorter/longer than a pattern) before it is played, and subsequently disable all the VSTi’s, etc.

But I don’t see how that would work, and I can only guess that there would be glitches in the audio.

Only if renoise precalculated the track.

This can be done in several ways.

• If you freeze the track. Like if you press a button renoise will render the track to a temp file. This can be done by pressing a button, or it could be done automatically by letting renoise render the freezed tracks in the background ‘realtime’. If you change anything in the track it has to rerender the track. (do a search in the forum for ‘freeze’ or ‘locked’)

Another way is to have audio tracks like the first tracks you see in this picture.
This is ideal for longer waves. They will be streamd from harddrive, and therefore dont eat ram and they wont require to be played from the beginning of the sample.

I would really like both ways. By freezing you also can save a lot of cpu. And audio tracks are simply ‘must have’ if you record longer waves.

Time will show…