Renoise 2.8 Vs 3

Ok I expect to get laughed at with this but why do i find it easier to get a louder and much punchier mix going in 2.8 vs 3 or 3.1 ?

Is there something going on under the hood ? i don’t think i’m imagining this as i just did the same track back to back in both and the kick and snare were easy to get punchy and snappy in 2.8 but not so much in 3.1 ?

I suspect the 2.8 loaded samples in without any headroom applied?

Ok I expect to get laughed at with this but why do i find it easier to get a louder and much punchier mix going in 2.8 vs 3 or 3.1 ?

Is there something going on under the hood ? i don’t think i’m imagining this as i just did the same track back to back in both and the kick and snare were easy to get punchy and snappy in 2.8 but not so much in 3.1 ?

I suspect the 2.8 loaded samples in without any headroom applied?

2.8 All Day over the #hipster 3.1 Version! :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Different track headroom settings? Check the song option in both versions.

I know what are you talking about
Check this out :https://forum.renoise.com/t/rendering-distinctions/48206

The quality in 3.1 in fact is a bit better (more options in interpolation etc). Just forget about v2.8. Like Djeroek wrote, check the song settings, these are set to -6dB track volume per default since Renoise 3.0. You can change it to 0dB again and then save it into your default template song.

I have also noticed that the rendered track sounds different from the realtime ASIO playback, can someone explain why this is so?

TheBellows, can you post a proof of it then? I think, the render can differ, if you use VSTs. If you then compare realtime rendering vs. a mrecorder recording, maybe a plugin will detect actual realtime/offline playback and switch to different quality mode. It also could be a purely psychological difference only.

For a pure sample based project, without any random based fx (like the lfo in a chorus etc), you can render it in both ways, and then phase invert one of it, to see if there actually is a difference.

Sometimes I do a phase invert test with M4A lossless, only to see again, that it is exactly the same audio data still. But before I was 100% sure that it sounds different.

I’m definately sure it’s not just psychological, but it might just as well be caused by a VST. It sometimes sounds so different that you can’t possibly avoid noticing it, but i have never found a cause.

Interesting posts guys, of course it could just be the old ears / mind playing tricks - just on a side note is the mixing engine 32 bit floating point? as I like this feature in Cubase as you can drive the individual channels without distortion as long as the master doesnt clip (maximizer to catch overs)

Yes, it is 32 bit floating point. You also can drive renoise tracks over 0dB without clipping, as long as master is below 0dB.

I’m definately sure it’s not just psychological, but it might just as well be caused by a VST. It sometimes sounds so different that you can’t possibly avoid noticing it, but i have never found a cause.

Somebody needs to do the phase inversion test then, to clean up with this old myth, saving our time. I am too lazy.

Yes, it is 32 bit floating point. You also can drive renoise tracks over 0dB without clipping, as long as master is below 0dB.

Somebody needs to do the phase inversion test then, to clean up with this old myth, saving our time. I am too lazy.

Haha Me too (Lazy) too busy writing actual tunes - I guess i was wondering if anyone one else noticed this I am thinking now it’s probably just the ‘Import at -6dB’ thing though