Renoise 3.1 doesn't allow holding keyboard note until released?&#3

Hey there, I feel kind of like an idiot as I’ve been searching up and down the forums, Renoise settings, and anywhere else I can think of; but I can’t figure out how to make Renoise sustain a note until I release it. For instance, when I load up a sample/Renoise instrument or an Audio Unit like U-He Hive, I’ll hold ‘z’ down for the c-note, it’ll cut off after about a bar of sustain. But if I input a note in the pattern editor without off, it’ll sustain indefinitely, along with pressing a note key down and then left-shift to allow it to hold the note. Is there anyway to achieve sustain until I release the key for live performance? Thanks!

So we’re talking about recordingnotes with ‘unlimited duration’ into a pattern?

This is done by using/recording witha sustain pedal. Basically, all notes entered will sustain indefinitely as long as it’s held and be released when pedal is released.
You don’t have to have a real, physical pedal - it can be controlled by sending Renoise CC#64 messages too.

PS: When you mention 3.1 explicitly, perhaps this is because you are familiar with 3.0 and the ‘hold’ mode? There was such a thing, even on a per-instrument basis, but it caused more harm than good. Having proper sustain pedal support is much more familiar to piano players too.

So we’re talking about recordingnotes with ‘unlimited duration’ into a pattern?

This is done by using/recording witha sustain pedal. Basically, all notes entered will sustain indefinitely as long as it’s held and be released when pedal is released.
You don’t have to have a real, physical pedal - it can be controlled by sending Renoise CC#64 messages too.

PS: When you mention 3.1 explicitly, perhaps this is because you are familiar with 3.0 and the ‘hold’ mode? There was such a thing, even on a per-instrument basis, but it caused more harm than good. Having proper sustain pedal support is much more familiar to piano players too.

Hmm, not so much recording, but that too is an issue. Just to clarify, I basically want to click and hold ‘z’ key on the keyboard for the c-note (or any other keyboard key corresponding with a music note in Renoise) to sustain until I let go of the keyboard key. To do so I’d need to emulate a sustain pedal? I mention the version because I feel like in 2.x I was able to achieve this out of the box. I don’t really need a hold mode per se as the left shift key achieves that, I just want to be able to hold a key down and let the note continue sustaining its sound until I let my finger up from the keyboard like a regular piano. Thanks for the reply!

Edit: ignore my piano analogy as I now realize you’d need a sustain pedal for it to, well sustain. lol… Anyway, I guess I mean like most physical synthesizers?

so you mean holding key on your computer keyboard DOES NOT sutstain the note played ?

Verry strange …

No problems here .

Certain key combinations on the keyboard will cut notes but that because of the keyboard design, which varies from manuf.to manuf .

I basically want to click and hold ‘z’ key on the keyboard for the c-note (or any other keyboard key corresponding with a music note in Renoise) to sustain until I let go of the keyboard key

Hum, yeah that is definitely supposed to work. No sustain pedal required for such a basic thing.

There’s only one setting in Renoise that I’m aware of that would do this, note duration in MIDI output (for drumpads that does not send a note-off of their own).

But, since you mention plugins and sample-based instruments that doesn’t apply either…

Hum, yeah that is definitely supposed to work. No sustain pedal required for such a basic thing.

There’s only one setting in Renoise that I’m aware of that would do this, note duration in MIDI output (for drumpads that does not send a note-off of their own).

But, since you mention plugins and sample-based instruments that doesn’t apply either…

Weird, I wonder if it’s a bug. At first I thought it was an issue with U-He Hive, then I tried it in a few other VST/AU plugins I have like Humanoid Soundsystems Enzyme and Helm, as well as a few built-in Renoise instruments and even some of my own samples with loop points. Thought I may have accidentally toggled a setting to initiate this behavior, I’m going to download another copy from my Backstage and see if it still exhibits the same behavior.

Edit: so I tried a different copy from Backstage, and it’s still not letting me physically hold a key down :(. Only one bar’s worth of sound comes out until I’m forced to release and press the key again to get sound from the note.

Edit 2: Forgot I also have it installed on my Windows/Bootcamp partition, Renoise 3.1 64-bit works as expected only my Windows side. I’m only getting this issue in macOS Sierra 10.12 with Renoise 3.1 64-bit. But I recall having the issue with OS X El Capitan 10.11 a few weeks ago as well.

Weird, I wonder if it’s a bug.

Could be. Some sort of non-blocking cleverness from OSX, perhaps? I’m running a quite old version of OSX myself, so not able to test this here.

But will notify someone more capable of testing this.

If you come across some relevant info, please share it with us :slight_smile:

If you come across some relevant info, please share it with us :slight_smile:

Right on! Thanks for the help, hopefully it’ll get resolved eventually :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: BTW, tried installing 3.0.1 as well and it’s still not behaving, oh well, I’ll make due with tracking stuff out for now haha.

so you mean holding key on your computer keyboard DOES NOT sutstain the note played ?

Verry strange …

No problems here .

Certain key combinations on the keyboard will cut notes but that because of the keyboard design, which varies from manuf.to manuf .

oops, never saw your reply till now, but yeah, it DOES NOT sustain when a keyboard key is pressed to play a note upon physically holding it down. It’ll cut out while the key is still pressed down after a few seconds of sound. Using a MacBook Pro Retina 2013 running macOS Sierra 10.12 with Renoise 3.1 64-bit.

Edit: ahhhh lame, so it’s not a bug with Renoise after all. It turns out that Karabiner-Elements is preventing Renoise from behaving. I use it to bind CAPS-LOCK to F-18 to use as a hyper key in macOS with Hammerspoon, quit Karabiner, and Renoise works normally. Thanks again @danoise for the support.

For future refrence, the answer to this is that Apple disabled a system setting for the keyboard in El Capitan (and I guess Sierra too?).

You need to fire up terminal and paste this in and hit return

defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool true

Then restart Renoise

More info: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7306504?tstart=0