Renoise 3.3.2 not support Rewire anymore?

Renoise is not displayed as Rewire client in other DAW’s anymore?

1 Like

I don’t recall reading that ReWire support has been dropped…but I haven’t looked for it either. So could be. But it is still mentioned in the manual.

Anyway, I’ve been having trouble with ReWire for ages. Quite a few version ago already. Never been able to reliably make it show up. So I gave up on using ReWire…

works OK with ableton here.

is your other daw ableton?

Since Propellerheads even dropped Rewire, it is sane to drop Rewire support in Renoise, too, or at least deactivate it and only activate that stuff thru a hidden “legacy” config switch or so. Then that ugly “Renoise wants to install rewire” requester would be gone (it comes up every single time if you use multiple Renoises, calculate the lifetime you spent to click this away). It would make the managable code base of Renoise more slimline.

Maybe then crossplatform Jack support? Though I find jackaudio pretty ugly, tbh, at least on macos. Is there any other rewire alternative?

Yep.

LoopBeAudio - A Virtual Audio Loopback Device (nerds.de) (Win)

VB-Audio Virtual Apps (vb-audio.com) Mac / Win

Virtual Audio Stream - (ddmf.eu) Win

Virtual Audio Cable (VAC) - connect audio applications, route and mix sounds (muzychenko.net) Win

Rogue Amoeba | Loopback: Cable-Free Audio Routing MAC

GitHub - ExistentialAudio/BlackHole: BlackHole is a modern macOS virtual audio driver that allows applications to pass audio to other applications with zero additional latency.

Those devices / apps just route audio. You’re in need of virtual midi cables as well, if you want to route midi.

There isn’t a 1:1 replacement for ReWire, which integrates not just the transport but also the audio processing of two (or more) programs. It’s a shame Propellerheads are so neglectful of their own technologies. They would do good for the world by releasing ReWire as open source, but that’s not likely to actually happen.

1 Like

Ableton Link should do the same, I think. It’s probably a matter of money to support and integrate it.