► Renoise 3.4.0 & Redux 1.3.0 released

super.

what are the requirements for Metal on OSX?

It’s always confused me. I have a Mac Pro that runs 10.11 just fine, but most Mac fanboy sites say Metal needs a newer computer/correct GPU to work properly.

Would 3.4 still run without Metal support?

10 posts were split to a new topic: MacOS: Renoise doesn’t memorize/restore preference settings

No more crackles when I bypass a send device ? mamamia, that’s dope !
downloadsclick:heart_eyes:
I’ll also enjoy midi timings a lot ! Big thanks to the renoise team !

1 Like

Even empty one.

AFAIK Metal2 here requires at least 10.13.6. Which GPU is it?

Btw. this new feature

might actually quite drastically improve the audio performance under macos. I rebenchmarked my old system using the Rebench-x256 template and have way better performance (intel i7). Also I now can replay projects with 8-20ms which required 40ms before. I would be curious, if you also see performance improvements?

Benchmarking 3.3 vs 3.4 under Windows might be interesting, too!

Thanks!

That’s super cool ! Many thanks :slight_smile:

Cool! Many thanks!

Downloading now…

Congratulations on the release !

Wow, that was unexpected. Great to see keeping Renoise updated for the latest tech! Downloading now.

Renoise minimum requirements say 10.11 so it can’t be Metal2

I have an Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT i think, in this machine:

Just when I started to use more renoise again. Love ya @taktik

This very likely will work. Simply give it a try.

Please note that Metal rendering only is enabled by default when Renoise starts the first time on a Retina screen. Else it’s very likely that you don’t need it, cause the old CoreGraphics rendering will be fast enough. You can then enable it it Renoise’s preference GUI pane manually to test it.

In case Metal isn’t supported by your HW/MacOs version, Renoise will fall back to CoreGraphics automatically.

We got one case reported where Meta was supported by the system, but was slow as hell and produced weird GFX errors. This was on a MacBook with and Intel Iris Pro on OSX 10.14. In this case metal support needed to be disabled manually.

2 Likes

Thanks @taktik. I should have checked first as i could have guessed you would do something clever and useful like put in a menu option :wink:

Thank you so much for adding ARM support; I bought my Pi 4 with the intention of using it for music, that plan fell by the wayside, the Pi gathered dust, and having Renoise makes the idea a lot more appealing again. No issues with it so far!

3 Likes

Holy cow I’m excited!

The GUI is very smooth now, that’s equally important to me, as is the M1 native version. Great quality of life improvement!

One thing though - Renoise has no clue about the notch on new Macbooks, an option to avoid it somehow, in fullscreen especially, would be great :wink:

IMG_1473

cool demo mr @keith303

2 Likes

The ARM64 version works on the latest Manjaro Linux on my PineBook Pro but my CPU is a bit weak. I was able to play the “Soon, Soon” demo song but anything with fuller effects pegs the RockChip RK3399’s 6 cores at over 95% capacity. No surprises here but I’ll have to get something beefier sometime.

2 Likes

I’m using Renoise 3.4 with ALSA. I’m watching Renoise tutorials on youtube and I don’t need Jack to do it! Thank you so much!!!

Thanks I was waiting for someone to test this as I was looking at portable arm options .

This doesn’t bode well for the pi4 then does it?