► Renoise 3.4.0 & Redux 1.3.0 released

I’m using Renoise 3.4 with ALSA. I’m watching Renoise tutorials on youtube and I don’t need Jack to do it! Thank you so much!!!

Thanks I was waiting for someone to test this as I was looking at portable arm options .

This doesn’t bode well for the pi4 then does it?

I don’t have a Pi4 to test on. The Pi4 may be beefier than the PineBook Pro, given the Pi4 has 4 performance cores vs. the 2 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores of the PineBook Pro. Certainly the Pi400 is beefier than either of them though. It has higher clock speed than the Pi4.

Ah I see.

Thanks for the reply looking forward to what others discover soon hopefully !

woohooooooooooooooooo!

taktik, you made my day, my week, my month and my year!

d0us: As you asked about the Pi 4, bit of a short trip report. Pi 4 works well with a DAC hat. Haven’t tried it with the default output. Running a fresh install of RPi OS 64-bit, JACK, and usual modifications to limits.conf it runs stable with very decent latency (around 10ms). I haven’t properly tried all of the demo songs yet, but playing an instrument live seems to work at that kind of latency without xruns.

Early fiddling suggests it’ll be good enough for what I want to use it for anyway (as the sample-based core of a musical instrument); I’m one of those weirdos who uses effect plugins sparingly so bear that in mind too. I love the way I can just throw a single cycle waveform at Renoise and apply modulation effects, map knobs/pedals etc, and to be able to use it with something as rugged and portable as my Pi is a huge bonus.

1 Like

RPi4 and Renoise works well together using the default analog output and ALSA driver. Low latency and able to play through all the demosongs without ever going near to 100% of cpu usage. You can load up plugins like Hexter or SurgeXT and render those to be used as sampled instruments.

1 Like

That’s great to know! Thanks for testing :grinning:.

Portable Renoise machine is viable after all!

Thanks for a great release, things are finally running smooth again on MacOS with Monterey ++

1 Like

Absolutely ecstatic that Renoise can now run on RPi BUT can I ask, has anyone tried it on a Pi Zero or anything else not specifically ‘optimized’ according to this post for Raspberry PI 3/4 ???

Since my PineBook Pro couldn’t handle it without bailing out on playback, I’d say that single-core Pi Zero is going to have zero chance of handling it. 32-bit ARM processors have at best half the performance of the 64-bit varieties due to the number of registers being halved as well as being half the size and a fraction of the memory addressing. I’d consider a Pi3 to be minimal.

1 Like

Probably things run better when you limit the number of realtime CPUs to 2 then in Renoise. This way it’s more likely that only the 2 performance cores are used for the audio processing.

On the M1 this behaves similar: audio processing may also be faster here when avoiding the efficiency cores.

Also make sure that the CPU governor is set to “performance” on Linux. This also has a big impact on realtime audio processing.

4 Likes

awesome news! though i found out something strange: a 4 voice surgeXT patch reports 4% cpu in renoise on my m1 macbook with older x64 Renoise 3.2.4 but shows about 80% cpu in activity monitor. opening the renoise file in R3.4 reports about 12-13% cpu in renoise but shows 30% in activity monitor. did the cpu metering in Renoise change?

edit: with 4 instances playing 4 voices the reported cpu in both renoise versions rises marginally by 1-2% (still reported higher in R3.4) activity monitor shows ± 92% for R3.2 and about 72% in R3.4 (but R3.2 only reports 17 threads and R3.4 about 22 threads)

Thanks for the tip! I’ll try it!

Edit

The two perfomance cores made it farther into Tension but still weren’t enough.

right click on Renoise.app → Get Info. Tick “Scale to fit built-it camera”

1 Like

This causes other issues

Thank you Taktik for the midi playback improvments. Feels much more steady now. No more jittery output. (Tested also using a virtual midi port). Great work!

1 Like

No it wouldn’t, but the image would be nice, yes.

Thanks @taktik , This is a mega update all round. …and here is a screeny of the Arm64 build running on my Acer chromebook :slight_smile:
Screenshot 2022-03-23 9.38.56 PM

2 Likes

This is awesome! Wasn’t expecting a new Renoise update! :smiley: Thank you!! Can’t wait to renew my license when 4.0.0 comes!