► Renoise 3 Beta testing starts - announcing Redux

You can save plugins including their pin-status along with a template song. But i doubt you want to save a template song where you have all your plugins included…
I rather have a checkbox in the VST Plugin section in the Plug/Misc preferences called “Run all plugins pinned” and having it checked off.
There is room for such checkbox.

Since the Instrument FX sends are part of the instrument, it doesn’t make sense to split them up. If you want them seperate, just don’t put them into the instrument. That’s a bit like “What can I do, when I pour my beer into my coffee, but want to first drink a beer and afterwards a coffee?”. :)

^ haha, best example ever :D

I really think, the instrument FX are way misunderstood by a lot of ppl. It doesn’t make much sense to put everything in there now, just because you can. Not everything belongs to the instrument. Just keep your instruments flexible, peeps. There is, even with having instrument FX available now, still nothing wrong with processing on the track, just like all the years before. Try to find a good balance between both ways.

Actually, it really depends on how you sound design, and how you see the world. Anyways, I’m not so unique… I doubt I am the only one on the forum who thinks this request makes good sense.

If you can do this in 2.8 and before…

But in Renoise 3 the Renoise Instrument is so different, and changed so much… Then you should be able to process the FX Chain on the Renoise Instrument to sample… I think its only logical…

I 100% disagree. I think the Renoise 3 Instrument is now so different and you can not compare to older versions. I think for sound design, and for the upcoming Redux. What I am asking makes sense.

Cheers

B) :walkman:

Well, if anyone is in for flexible sound design, then it’s for sure me. But I still can’t see any sense in implementing FX explicitly into an instrument, only to apply them to contained samples and afterwards remove them again. We’re talking about plain sample processing here, not instrument behavior. While I agree, the feature to apply FX from track in general is missing and should be put back in. Still not within the instrument sends, but available, when “Send to FX” is set to “none” in the sample properties.

I’d like to give you another example: You’ve got a flat tire (your sample) and want to get it fixed. Normally you’D go to the tire dealer (FX chain) somewhere and get a new tire or let them fix it. Right!? What you are now suggesting to do is, you’re going to build a tire dealer (FX chain) store in the trunk of your car (instrument), to then bring there your tire (sample) and get a new one, just to afterwards remove the entire tire dealer store from your trunk again.

Sorry, that really doesn’t sound to me like making much sense. ;)

I’m confused… that FX button in the sample editor is still there in the 3.0 beta. What are you talking about?

Well man, I feel like if I really explained this 100%, I would be giving away parts of my production style… anyways, I have a workaround. So… I’ll drop this conversation.

If the feature shows up, I would be thrilled. If it never comes, I’ll survive

:slight_smile:

:P B) :yeah:

see this thread

cheers

Uhm, you’re right. I’ve searched it days before and couldn’t find it. I even checked again before writing my reply. :facepalm: Illumination 1 day after christmas… :D

wait… stop…

Are you saying that would also process the fx chain on the instrument?

Edit = this is not processing the sample with the effects on a Renoise Instrument FX Chain. This only works for track dsp.

I just checked… You can press the button all you want, and still will not process the sample with the fx chain.

Renoise example = Box

Yeah, you did. But still doesn’t make sense.

Wizardry? Anyway, nice attitude in a massive tips and content sharing community. Not.

Yeah, might be better…

People are allowed to keep stuff to themselves, that doesn’t make them bad people.

If everyone here would be thinking like that, we’d be a forum full of not bad people with no tips and content to share.

Edit: While… don’t take this too personally. You’re for sure not the only one here thinking like that. Quite normal. Still might be worth to think it over.

Secrets!

The owner of this item requires that you log in to access it.

aka more secrets

there’s something awkward about talking about what you won’t talk about on a public forum.

Regarding Redux, even if it isn’t released yet and we don’t exactly know what it’ll be like.
What we do know is that it’s built for bringing some of the instrument, sampling and tracking features of Renoise into other DAWs within VST/AU plugin format.

The purpose of this as mentioned in announcement is to be “useful for everyone to try out the Renoise tracking workflow without leaving your favorite DAW, or for Renoise users to bring your Renoise way of composing into other DAWs.”

I’d rather see the devs put the time and energy into making Renoise into something that’ll make current Renoise users think:

“Now Renoise has everything I need, I don’t need to look at something else to be able to do . I’ll stick with just Renoise forever!”

AND the potential new Renoise users out there using some other DAW think:

“Wow, Renoise just got this feature now that made me unsure to try it out before. I’ll give it a shot now!”

I know there are different opinions whether the current 3.0 changes and new features are to be satisfied with or not. Depends on taste and personal preferences. But I think it’s more important to work on features within the DAW itself rather than creating a new tool to build some small bridges to other islands when we aldread have Rewire.
Is this just me?

Hey, there is no need to speculate as to what Redux is, or could be: it is a 1:1 of the Renoise instrument, and as such it doesn’t take anything away from Renoise itself. Actual work on Redux haven’t even really begun yet - a binary file has been compiled as a proof-of-concept, so the actual development is still very much in it’s infancy.
But here’s the thing - apart from being a potentially good source of income for a decidedly niche software (Renoise is not exactly a big money-making machine), Redux has helped to shape the very focus of this release - and enable stuff that you can’t just do with Rewire (…). Just by imagining the instrument as a standalone plugin - as a sort of mental exercise - has revealed various ways that aspects of Renoise could be brought closer to the way things work, outside of “Renoise Land”. Redux could represent all manner of improvements for the many people who want to play the Renoise instrument using standard means of input (think pitch bend, aftertouch, that sort of thing).

Oh, glad to hear this actually! So that means you are still intending to finish the sampler in the beta phase. Good to know. Thanks for the info!

What exactly makes you think that the developers of Renoise (A tracker) could add anything in short order that would make the majority of musicians/producers stop using their preferred (Linear) workflow ?
Add to this the fact that the majority of tracker users are so anti linear that the devs at Renoise would probably lose as many users as they gained.
The developers here are not the fastest developers around (For whatever reason, non of our business) and what you are asking is on par with completely changing Renoise into something akin to Live/Bitwig (Not going to happen) and even if they did they are not 100% to get enough customers to warrant it (Mulab is actually not far from Bitwig in terms of features, doesn’t have a huge user base, guess what they did to stay afloat, that’s right a VSTi)

It often tickles me that users of niche products like Renoise actually believe that they can commercially compete on a one to one basis with other apps like FLS/Live/Cubase damn even Reaper, simply because they like the workflow.

Been away all Christmas doing christmassy things.
So here’s my first impression of R3b: mind=blown
Doofer: holy shit. It’s like live’s group fx but MUCH better. The possibilities are really endless with this. Have to study this more. Too bad the device in chain doesn’t get the "preset"s name
Instrument macros + controllable from track fx: o yeah
Proper ahdsr with ms timing - envelopes becoming really useful now
General interface redesign is really smart (instrbox attaches to either browser or scopes!) , both top and bottom windows have less reason to stay open.
Like many have said, detachable windows are of less use on multi display systems when mixer is not detachable. I think this part of the GUI sys should be rethought again
The whole GUI is more logically consistent with song making IMO
Convolver, holy shizznit, a 'earable reverb at last and much more
KZ editor now has overlap options that are way cool; actually working with drum samples / loops / breaks in one instrument will now be possible and perhaps fun
Status bar usage is really well done and leaves room for more new stuff
Zooming automation freely is nice
Most of the rounded buttons are good. I’m not sure if I like how the top row is now thicker (when not using scopes, I mean, the bar with the transport controls)
Haven’t seen the piano roll yet? :P
O yeah, I almost forgot, the icons and lights in the instrument box are a welcome addition

Can’t imagine what type of whiner it takes btw to say not a single user has been listened too. A lot of stuff has been done.

What’s open still from my wishlist :
MIDI tab to affect PC keyboard too
Way to find out how much a sample was amplified when normalizing

I have yet to try out the vsti windowing stuff. I’m not sure how many of my tools I’m gonna wanna update

I didn’t say that they would do it in short order and i didn’t say that the majority of producers would switch their daws either. But of course i think that the developers of renoise are capable of making renoise attract more new people. I have much respect for the dev teams competence.
Honestly i don’t think that many here want Renoise turned into Live/Bitwig/etc. That would be pointless, the point is that many here love the layout and design of renoise and many of it’s features. But some just miss some “big” features that are available in the daws mentioned.