Renoise 4.0 (the Future of Renoise)

I’m pretty sure some of us have. Not because we expect results from it, but because we think that what we’ve gotten is worth more than what we paid. And also to show some support.

Yeah, I guess the market/product strategy is a difficult one. I imagine that it probably boils down to the product being too niche for sustaining a full time developer. And also that developer(s) might consider things good enough the way they are - partly a ‘fun/cool project’.

But obviously the project is not abandoned, and that’s good enough for me.

PS. The policy of stacking up licenses has been removed FYI.

I did not know that. So my previous comment is out of place :rofl: Could it be that this is an oversight/forgetfulness?

Well, I propose something else. Buy Redux as a way to support Renoise. But let taktik know that you buy it to support Renoise.

I bought Redux this way, knowing that I was not going to use it.

Edit: @joule And what is it? Buy License Upgrade | Renoise You can access from the Renoise purchase page.
Edit2: You can upgrade from your personal Renoise account. It is not deleted!

1 Like

Buy 365 Renoise T-shirts. It will support Taktik and some of them you can wear or you can change them every day… :slight_smile:

I agree with the OP. Taktik could really charge money for next update, naming it 4.0. Though Taktik for sure knows all these possibilities, so do the maths, obviously there is no intention to make Renoise a bigger commercial project than currently, he wrote because personal/family reasons. So I think you can stop wasting your time with thinking about this. Even a thousand posts will not change Taktik’s opinion here.

Like the OP wrote, I also would love to see fancy Metal2 GUI acceleration, but this will likely not happen, even Bitwig team, which are 6(?) people, needed over a year to implement Metal2 into their GUI (ok it is JAVA, so might be extra complicated), and these guys actually nostalgically love Mac. In reality, Apple just sucks for crossplatform developers, so why invest in the macOS version more than minimum.

1 Like

Taktik is keeping the forums and waiting to collect errors from Renoise. So the support is still there, as always. That is what it seems.

A little summary with all this… If you want to support Renoise, there are some interesting ways, since the business model does not seem to change:

1. Buy Renoise, if you have not already done so.
  2. Upgrade Renoise License. You can pay to update your license with a small discount. If you already have Renoise, renew your license before it expires. This is still available. A good time to do this is when Renoise receives a new important update.
  3. Buy Redux. But let Taktik know that you buy Redux to support the Renoise project.
  4. Buy merchandising… t-shirts, caps, cups. This does not really contribute much, but less is nothing.
  5. Participate and help in the forums. The forums are important, and there is a lot of information here.
  6. Build and share Renoise format content (instruments, phrases, libraries). In short, create content for Renoise and show it. It is not even necessary to share…
  7. Build your own tools and teach them or inform others that Renoise is expandable (API + LUA tools).
  8. Expand “the message”. Let others know that Renoise exists! Especially to the young people who are starting.
  9. Use the means of your domain to place information about Renoise (blog, website, social networks), a link, an advertising banner… This is a very good way to contribute. Renoise DOES NOT HAVE ADVERTISING! Of course, this must be selfless.

Maintaining Renonise is not just a Taktik problem. If the Community disappears, Renoise disappears!

6 Likes

Now that you mention buy redux…I already own redux but I don’t use it as much as I would like

How dope would be to load renoise entirely as a vst in bitwig …Fack …now thats what I want so I can create ultra layered sample based instruments in just one track and use modulators there :heart::heart::heart:

2 Likes

I tried Redux in Reaper, but there is still the issue, that the computer keyboard is not working in the editor.

@taktik mentioned once that it is a Ardour or Reaper problem. But it does not seem to have high priority, so I keep using Renoise (and maybe also would if Redux would work in Reaper)

I have the feeling that the community is very active. Many people participated on Mutant Breaks and there have been really many Renoise related youtube videos recently. I also like the community here. I took a look in the KVR Bitwig forum where people post their tracks. In contrast to here there are almost no people commenting on other tracks.

2 Likes

@lilith

In bitwig once you start working on a phrase the entire layout of the keyboard becomes the same as in renoise so it’s pretty intuitive to work there …my only issue is to have a lot of vst windows opened to work on different instruments :frowning: