Renoise 64kb/512kb Chillout Compo!

Very nice, Is that lead an FM /dx7ish sample of some kind?

Here’s my rush job clocking in at 493kb. Interesting that the samples don’t take up much space, maybe 15kb(some are used twice though). It seems to be mainly the patterns here that take the space. I guess how trackers store the patterns is very different than say a midi file which is just a list.

Strange, it seems to be in a very minimal vein, which I never usually do. Must be all the steve reich I’ve listened to lately…

http://www3.sympatico.ca/shane.turner/RG-minicomp.rns

Nope. Just a simple little chip-style sawtooth waveform, with Renoise envelopes on the volume, panning, filtering, etc.

And, yeah, hehe… I was quite surprised at how quickly I managed to fill up all the space even with simple patterns. I had to kind of sit back and think about my approach a bit more, how to organise everything into as few channels as possible, grouping the effects, re-using parts of the patterns, etc. It was a nice challenge.

(Looks like I need to get off my lazy butt and upgrade to the latest version of Renoise 1.5 to check out your tune.)

continued writing on my entry but didn’t manage to keep within the 512kb boundaries. currently at 580kb, but what the heck - guess the compo is pretty dead anyways considering the amount of entries and the absence of the actual compo host.
really amazing to see that aprx. 60kb of sample data can easily weight in at more than half a megabyte when some patterns / tracks have been added.

btw dblue, used a lot of your samples you posted earlier in this thread. been way to lazy to sample my own, so hope you don’t mind.
besides that, gj on your track - still have to listen to shane turner’s though.

so here’s an ogg preview of my tune.
rns version will follow when i’ve cleaned up the mess and did some filesize saving measures. it’s rather long (9m27s), so i hope you’ll stand it for that long…

subtly distant comatose
current .rns filesize: 605kb :(

Really nice tune, Keith! Love the atmosphere and timbre of everything, really chunky and warm.

glad to hear so!
i assume your samples have done a pretty good job concerning sound-warmth. ;)

so it’s only three contributions after all? :unsure:

now that I have some spare time (I’m back from vacation, but I won’t work until september 5th), I can finally try to get into the 128Kb compo. I’ve started something some hours ago, and I’m currently at 133Kb with an almost complete song :angry:

update: 131071 bytes now (1024*128-1 bytes :))

oh, I see you posted previews, so there is mine:
CLICK