Renoise And Other Daws Audio Engines

no matter my religion is or isn’t:

I have no idea what you guys are arguing about but I am really glad there are a lot of pro heads on this board to share insights about music productions. This is really motivating myself to create music someday.

Isn’t religion the pure essence of stupidity?

Yup!

Everybody knows that Atheism has way better bass response than Christianity.

Buddhism has great high-end though.

Amm all for Bob Dobbs! Has the best mid range.

amen chorus break

nice discussion. haven’t read the whole thing but if anyone wants 2 of my cents… Renoise AE simply RULES!! i can’t explain it, but i used to render a renoise song in patterns & sequences, to master it in cubase, and that would still not be enormously stupid i guess if you want a really polished track and get money for it… but since i learned to work with renoise’s stereo x and limiter plugins i just don’t really feel the need for that! the sound coming out of renoise well i could use this app to just play and mix some stuff live and i bet i’d make people jump on the dancefloor :P

As said this is digital.

What makes DAW sound a bit different from each other is simply 3 things in my experience.

The volume in which they are played back on the master.
The way the artist has produced a peace of music in whatever DAW.
The native FX used in each DAW usually sound different from each other.

However, some DAW can sound a bit dull etc, such as the early reason, my good old friend who is a mastering engineering use to hook reason up through logic so he could get it sounding allot cleaner (for whatever reason it always worked with the old reason, excuse the pun)I don’t know what reason is like these days as this was many years ago.

But I’ve used many a DAW, started with Cubase and acid, and then went onto to Logic, Renoise, Live and done allot of teaching on Fruity loops and usually the 3 reasons I gave earlier seem to be the main reason why each DAW may sound different from each other.

This talk about all audio engines being the same is Bullshit.

Saw Studio claims to use Dword summing math, completely different from 32 bit float that cubase uses.

Renoise, cubase and saw all sound different when you clip, they all handle it differently they sound different when pushed.

Saw Studio and renoise are the best when pushed, i like to push signals. They distort, but they all distort differently.

Explain this please!

I knew this topic would turn into a religious debate.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/42980

Why floating point sucks ASS! It errors and doesn’t even spit out the same math each time.

The difference between Daws as far as I can tell is work flow, and native plugins and instruments. Not much more than that.

My main bitching was about cubase sx 2 and 3.

That was when i used it last, i did try cubase 5, and it was lame, but when rendering it sounds better than when you are playing with it live. So stupid.

Renoise also sound different between playing live and rendered!

In fact Renoise has different rendering modes and only one play mode for starters :P

“Be careful how you interpret null tests. The only thing a null test confirms is if the signal/data content is the same. It does not necessarily inform you whether two sources actually sound the same. I can’t tell you how many times two bit-for-bit identical files have been sonically differentiated by blind listening tests. From my experience, a null test can substantiate a reason why two files sound different, but it cannot confirm that they sound the same.”

Who are you quoting there with your quotation marks as that defies basic laws of physics and is utter BS!!

Yeah, i think this is where most of the “audio engine sounds squishy (or whatever adjective)” stuff originates from. When demoing, what else are you gonna listen to? Renoise sounds kind of soft on live playback but aliasing seems practically absent FROM MY PERCEPTION ONLY; scientifically, i dunno about that. So people make some judgments based on that. I wonder how many people are just missing the nice, present, crunchy, punchy sound of aliasing that they got with their old samplers and trackers while working with them?

Damned if ya do, damned if ya don’t, renoise.

It’s by a user named “Zilla” in this thread on the Cubase forum: (few posts down from the top)

And yeah, it’s complete and utter bollocks.

I’m still on the fence with null tests though from past experience. I still sued my ears :)