Renoise and PD

Hi everyone,

I would like to know if that possible to get through the audio stream from PD via Jack to Renoise and control with PD any plugin’s Renoise parameters (by osc maybe) ?

Best regards

As for osc, IDK…

Getting streams in via Jack: choose enough channels at “in device”, use line input device where you want audio data to pop in, choose input channels, hook pd outputs to those channels via jack.

For parameter control…maybe use the midi map functionality on the parameters, and route the pd midi output into renoise? I think this’ll be a real hassele, though, because you can’t really input the wanted cc numbers and such in the interface, but have to use the learn function and make pd “wiggle” the wanted cc, or use clipboard xml tricks to configure the mappings.

Addition: http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Open_Sound_Control

There’s a paragraph concerning PD at the ending. Seems like you should be able to do stuff without midi mapping.

Controlling Renoise via OSC is pretty straightforward.

I’ve some Renoise tools that use OSC: https://github.com/Neurogami/renoise-ng

The OSC part has takes the approach of setting up an independent OSC server to handle all OSC messages, and then routing based on the OSC address pattern. Things that start with “/renoise/” get passed on the the internal Renoise OSC server. This allows the OSC client to use the built-in Renoise OSC handling as well as any custom OSC processing you want to add.

My tools now allow for sending OSC messages back, so your code can, for example, update the pd code with song information (current pattern, BPM, etc.).

You’ll have to look at the built-in Renoise OSC handling to see if they do what you want. If you need something more you’ll have to code it in Lua using the Renoise API. If you’re new to this I think my code might be of help in showing how to do some things. Likewise you can learn a lot looking at the code for Duplex and other Renoise tools.

As I see from the manual page I linked above, you can control any plugin/effect parameter via osc messages. But I guess this will need some extra renoise tool to be usable in real life. The plugin/effect is selected by track and device number, so to really map stuff to the outside, you’ll need a tool that will send those numbers to the controlling software when selecting a parameter (via osc for example), to register the parameters, and maybe notify when those numbers have changed or the parameter is “broken” because an effect has been deleted or reconfigured, or because of editing the tune (changing tracks, changing something in the device chains) in renoise.

… you’ll need a tool that will send those numbers to the controlling software when selecting a parameter (via osc for example), to register the parameters, and maybe notify when those numbers have changed or the parameter is “broken” because an effect has been deleted or reconfigured, or because of editing the tune (changing tracks, changing something in the device chains) in renoise.

Yeah, relying on fixed track or device numbers is brittle. If you add a track or device someplace the numbers may no longer work.

You can locate things by name using the Renoise API, but then you have to write some code (some examples of this here: http://neurogami.com/blog/neurogami-renoise-send-track-scripting-with-osc.html))

OTOH if you don’t mind changing the pd values whenever the Reoise song changes you might be able to skip the Lua coding part.

Thank you so much !

I am going to read a bit API Renoise !