Renoise As A Live Looper

Hi,

Last week I read this CDM’s article and was impressed very much.

And I thought about whether such a performance was possible using Renoise, then I’ve arrived at one method. I’m not sure whether this way of Live Looping is well known to Renoisers or not though, I found it’s fun to play, so I’ll post this topic here anyway.

First, this method needs “Expert Sleepers Augustus Loop plug-in”, which is a Tape Delay actually.
So, compared to the Duplex’s Recorder, this is more momentary Live Looper, i.e., you cannot save your loops as a WAV file. This setup is not aim at producing well-sequenced works. This is just a “Live” Looper.
But this way is quite intuitive to play, so it’s worth trying I think. B)

And also, you need a MIDI controller which has the ability to set the behavior of buttons (Toggle or Momentary). Furthermore, it is better if there are faders and knobs on it. So I recommend KORG nanoKONTROL 2, Akai MPD 26, for example.

################# Settings ##########################

- 1. Install Augustus Loop
Even the demo version of AL, you can try this plugin freely for 15 minutes. Of course needless to say, it’s worth considering to buy. :)

After installing, please disable the “Auto suspend plugin” option in Renoise (Click the little [?] icon on the upper right of the plugin panel). Otherwise some functions will go wrong.

- 2. Load this template.xrns

[Template.xrns](http://reg.s63.xrea.com/gomi/Looper-Tips/Template - Augustus Looper.xrns) (updated at June 18)

This xrns includes 4 instances of AL. You can add more instances if you need. I’ve already applied necessary settings to each AL instance, but maybe I’ve overlooked or misunderstand something, so please read AL’s manual by yourself too and understand about this plugin. Also please refer this image.

- 3. MIDI mapping
Please set MIDI mappings to your controller properly, refering the image below.

################# How to Play ########################

OK, here we go.

- 1. Start playing Renoise with metronome or simple rhythm (or no sound).
In this method, we do not necessarily need Renoise’s sequence. But, AL is not usable when Renoise is not running, so hit play button anyway.

- 2. Rise the Send Amount slider of AL-1 to Max (the [1] slider of the left most column of nanoK2 in the image)
Now the audio signal flows into AL-1.

- 3. Hit “Tap Record” [2] button of AL-1, play instruments or sing like beatboxing, then hit [2] button again.
Since I set the Punch In/Out Quantize option to “1 Bar”, Please hit the button early a little from the timing aimed at.

Now you will hear your performance which is played back immediately.
Notice that this Tap Record button determine the loop length too.

- 4. For overdubing, hit [3] button anytime, do performances, then hit [3] again.
Actually, this button just switches the Input Level knob of AL, from Min to Max and vice versa.

- 5. Lower the [1] slider to Min for safety.
Now the audio signal doesn’t flow into AL-1.

- 6. If you want to use another AL instance, do 2 ~ 5 steps like above, as well.

- 7. If you want to clear a loop, hit “Fade Out” [5] button.
This button will do fade out and clear the loop automatically.
You can adjust the fade out time using [4] knob.

Well, that’s all from me. And the rest, please make your own setup by yourself, using Renoise’s FX and routing ability.

####################################################

P.S.
Well, unfortunatelly, Augustus Loop plugin doesn’t have the Linux version.
So this topic is meaningless for the Linux Renoiser. :(
I hope such a plugin will be born in the Linux world too somewhen.

Thanks. :)

satobx you are awesome! I tried Augustus Loop on OSX a few years back and it didn’t work out too well. I will try it out again with your template.

Hehe, thanks!!

Well, I also still a noob about this plugin so please tell me if you find something wrong.
This plugin is a bit difficult to understand.

Probably we cannot do Undo-ing and Timestreching by this plugin, but basically we can enjoy Sound on Sound enough, I think. :guitar:

Wooops, today I myself found a mistake in the setup, sorry. :wacko:

In the file which I uploaded the other day, I used Hydra device to switch the Tap Record & Input Level at the same time.
But There were the “PISIL” & “POSIL” buttons on the AL’s GUI (“Punch In Set Input Level” & “Punch Out Set Input Level”), which automatically switch the Input Level when the Tap Record button is pushed.
So simply we should use them and don’t need Hydra device.

By doing like this, the unwanted silent section at the loop-end will be gone.

Also, it seems that we had better turn OFF the all “Host Tempo” function.
Yet I cannot have conviction in this part though…
:unsure:

Anyway, please download the Templete xrns again. (I’ve already updated the first post)

:excl: Also I noticed that Render to Sample is effective so we can save loops as WAV samples, though timing trimming is needed after Rendering.

That’s good to hear.

Does this setup allow for applying DSPs (like sliding a filter) after a loop has been created? I was trying to use duplex recorder as a loop machine for this purpose, but found it somewhat difficult and slow. I would like to be able to do something like this entirely with software, or with a simple midi controller to keep my hands untied. I’d like an extension that has the best aspects of the duplex recorder and a standard looping workflow.

I suppose this is my goal, just on a zero-dollar budget, and all in renoise using synths and effects that I am familiar with: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V3q_ub1NVw

I love live looping, and it would be awesome if it was easily accessible.

Yes of course. Since Augustus Loop is just a plugin device. So simply, if you insert Filter device after AL, you can apply it to the loop phrase.

Well, maybe the setup which I suggested in the first post was a bit complicated.
Below is more simple example.

http://reg.s63.xrea.com/gomi/Looper-Tips/AL-looper-setup.xrnt

Simply load this “AL-looper-setup.xrnt” to any track and set midi mappings for the 3 parameters (it’s enough if your controller has 3 on/off buttons).
Then start playing Renoise and play some synths in Renoise on the track and rec the loop. It’s fun. :)

[Note]
It seems there is a GUI problem if we load the “AL-looper-setup.xrnt” directly from DiskBrowser and open the AL’s GUI. (I’ll post the bug report anyway)
To avoid this, please load Augustus Loop from the VST list and open the GUI once, then load the “AL-looper-setup.xrnt” there.

#############################################

And also, if you want a free software, “Loopy LLama” may be a alternative.
It seems it works well too, though I experienced its unstable behaviour a few times. But it’s worth trying too. :)

Thanks for the inspiration. Loopy llama actually works pretty well for what I need.