Renoise Debug Log File

Hi. I’m writing some code to convert my module format into XRNS. Does Renoise have a debug log that can be enabled at all?

Renoise is crashing when trying to load my XRNS file. It works fine when I produce a dummy/new tune XRNS. I’ve been doing a number of comparisons trying to make my file identical to what Renoise would (my file has different patterns and notes at the moment).

Just wondering if there’s anything I can look at or enable to help me work out what the offending XML element is?

Here’s a example of XRNS file I’m trying to load.
TestWrite.xrns (4.1 KB)

Well I think we know that the answer is not a lot. So long as Renoise saves and loads its own produced XRNS files, AFAIK there is no helpers for external third party programs producing XRNS files. If your program produces a even slightly malformed Song.xml file it probably will crash Renoise.

The only thing I can add at the moment (due to the scarcity of information) is that I’d first match the tab indentation levels between what your program produces and what Renoise produces as its Song.xml. Just makes it a bit easier to compare files (I’m not sure it makes any difference from a parsing point of view. But IDK.)

The other thing to maybe consider is that if you are writing a module conversion routine, is it possible to write a lua script that takes your module format and puts the information into Renoise.

Looking a bit further I think why your TestWrite.xrns is crashing is because you haven’t matched the number of PatternTracks to the number of actual SequencerTracks defined. In your XML you only have like 3 or 4 PatternTracks defined in the PatternPool, but Renoise is expecting at least 8 tracks. So if you increase the amount of PatternTracks in the PatternPool it should now load into Renoise. This seems to load your file in:

TestWrite_loadable.xrns (4.1 KB)

1 Like

There are also XML schemas included for all the XML files that Renoise produces.

They are installed with Renoise. In the Renoise application “Resources” folder is a folder called “Schemas”. Open “RenoiseDocVersions.xml” to see which schema version matches which Renoise version.

1 Like

Thanks guys. I sorted this out - I didn’t have a matching set of SequencerTracks for PatternTracks. This is a Windows/Android (and once iPad) tracker app of mine so Lua has never been an option.

A few years back I started working on a mobile tracker app that I wanted to use while “on the go” that I could resync with Renoise when I got home. The app would let me use crappy sample/synth instruments on the tablet but keep the info for the VST instruments I’d use at home. The idea was that I could work on my melodies and strong structure anywhere and polish up my sounds with Renoise and my VSTs at home.

I never did finish the program but it has the benefit of being able to load OctaMED tunes. At the moment I’m tinkering with it again so I can export my old Amiga OctaMED over to Renoise and maybe do some remakes 30 years later :slight_smile: I could have probably just exported to MOD format first but where’s the fun in that? :slight_smile:

1 Like

At least I know how much I’m appreciated.

1 Like

Sorry @4tey I didn’t notice the last paragraph in your post. I wish I’d read that sooner - would have saved me heaps of time. Maybe your reply was truncated when I received the email notification. I appreciate your reply. I only wish I’d seen that last bit.

1 Like

Ok, it took me an hour to work out the solution myself. Editing posts probably won’t resend out emails.

Enjoy decoding/converting the OctaMED MMD0/1 file format :slight_smile:

@4tey Yeah I’m all done now. I managed to export 4 of my old OctaMED tunes and then tweaked the conversion to seperate out different instruments into seperate tracks. Now I have the fun of finding some VSTs that will be better than the originals. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.